My cousin is regularly filing IT return. But somehow he forgot to file Income Tax return for AY15-16 (FY 14-15) & hence he has received Income Tax notice that u/s 192 Employer has deducted tax & return is not filed. His total Taxable income will be Rs 503,000 after all deductions. Briefs are as below :
1) Salaried Employee Rs 7.70lacs & TDS deducted Rs 25700 (shown in Form16)
2) He claimed Self occupied House Property Rs 2lac ( shown in Form 16)
3) Deduction u/s 80C claimed Rs 80000 (shown in Form 16)
4) His Interest amt was Rs 13000 ( & claimed Rs 10k under Sec 80TTA ). He was not aware to show this income as IFOS . Hence after claiming deduction on Rs3k he paid Rs 800 as Tax as per I.Tax utility. TAX paid on 26th Mar 2018. ( does not have any other source of income )
5) As the return uploading is not available. Compliance reply given as Return under Prep. & Reason "Self-Not Known"
Queries : 1) Does he require any kind of communication to Income tax dept ? If yes, by electronic or physical mode?
2) What are the remedies available to my cousin ? Because he feels terrified by the notice & not wish to visit IT office.
Please help me regarding above issue at the earliest.
Thanks you in advance.
Ameet Patel Ameet N Patel is a chartered accountant and former President of Bombay Chartered Accountants Society - BCAS
Subodh V Shah CA Subodh V Shah is a Fellow Member of the ICAI. A merit ranker throughout his career, he stood 3rd in CA Intermediate and 17th in CA Final. In addition he also got the prize of ICAI for scoring the highest marks in Direct Taxes at CA Final. He is practicing Chartered Accountant as well as a teacher for over 20 years.
Ameya Kunte Ameya Kunte is a Tax Professional, Chartered Accountant & Co-founder - Taxsutra.com
Nikhil Vadia CISA qualified Nikhil Vadia is a Chartered Accountant in practice since 1997
Yogesh Sapkale Yogesh Sapkale is Deputy Editor of Moneylife and writes on financial and tax related issues
Debashis Basu Debashis Basu is the co-founder of Moneylife, a CA by qualification with three decades of experience as a journalist and author of several books
To ask a questionPlease