i submitted an application dated 16-01-2018 to secretary of our chs to furnish me certain documents and to grant inspection of books of accounts and various registers. The Secretary has not furnished the documents till date and has not permitted inspection till date. Recently, I read in the newspaper that as per the amended bye-laws, if the Managing Committee does not furnish the documents within one month from the date of receipt of application from a member of the society, the M.C. committee has to pay a penalty of Rs 100 per day for the delay.
In my case the secretary has delayed by 23 months. I would like to know what amount does the M.C. have to pay me for the delay. I will be very grateful if you would kindly inform and guide me in the above matter. Warm regards, Francis Alvares Mumbai
For non-supply of documents asked by you with your society, kindly make a complaint against your Co-op. Hsg.Society (CHS), to Deputy Registrar of Co-operative Societies of your area, under the Bye-law No. 174(A)(xxii).

After 15 days of your letter, meet Deputy Registrar (DR) in his office, and ask him for reply to your complaint.
If you don't get reply to your complaint to DR, then in same visit, you make a Right to Information (RTI) complaint to Public Information Officer (PIO) of DR, asking him to give you information on action taken by DR on your complaint letter against your CHS.

Within 30 days of your RTI complaint to PIO, if you don't get reply, then you make RTI first appeal to Appellate Officer (AO), who sits in DR's Office.

Within 45 days of you making RTI 1st appeal to AO, if you don't get reply, then make second appeal to State Information Commissioner, whose office is in New Administrative Building, opposite Mantralaya, Mumbai.

Also, if you don't get reply within 30 days of your complaint to DR, or you get a wrong reply, then you make simultaneous complaint against DR to District DR, and also a Lokshahi Din Complaint against DR to District Collector.

In processing your complaint against your CHS, DR will first ask your CHS to give you all the papers asked by you or access to inspection to CHS documents by asked by you.
If CHS does not respond, then DR will fine Rs.100/- per day till your CHS replied, subject to maximum Rs.5,000/- fine. Fine amount will be retained by Deputy Registrar's office.

In making complaint as above to get you relief, if you find any difficulties, then please come to Moneylife Foundation's Office on Tuesday evening, 4pm to 7pm, to get you free of charge guidance from expert.
Kindly call Shilpa on Tel 022 4920 5000 on any working days to book your appointment with expert.
Our Experts

Shirish Shanbhag An MSc in Organic Chemistry and Diploma in Higher Education and Diploma in French. As a junior college teacher, he taught theory and practical in chemistry, to students in 11th and 12th standard at Patkar College from July 1980 to May 2012. After his retirement in May 2012, he started providing guidance to people on several issues. It includes, career guidance, Cooperative Housing Societies' legal paper works, Right to Information (RTI), Lokayukta, Ombudsman complaints, Marriage Registration,

Bapoo Malcolm Bapoo Malcolm is an Advocate at the Bombay High Court and a former national cycling champion and a man of many interests. Mr Malcolm is an expert in the mechanics of preparing Wills. He is advocate practising civil and criminal law as well as documentation and arbitration. He also takes up family court matters, redevelopment and MHADA matters and testamentary work, including litigation. Mr Malcolm operates in areas up to Nashik and Valsad and from Igatpuri to Udvada. He has experience in polluti

Ashok Kargutkar Ashok Kargutkar is a Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers (CAIIB) and has worked in Bank of India for 26 years. He has also been an insurance advisor with LIC India and AMFI registered Mutual Fund Advisor for 5+ years. He has also been a counsellor at Abhay Credit Counselling Center since its inception in Sept. 2008 to 2014.

AV Shenoy AV Shenoy hold degrees in both Mechanical and Electrical Engineering from VJTI, University of Bombay and a Post Graduate Diploma in Industrial Management from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies. Worked as a Design Engineer in Electrical Business Group of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. at Powai from October 1969 to September 2001 and retired as Dy. General Manager. Also worked as a Facilitator/Trainer for implementation of Total Quality Management (TQM) and ISO 9000 in the organization. Since r

Abhay Datar Abhay Datar is a consumer activist and is also Member of the Managing Committee of Mumbai Grahak Panchayat (MGP). He was Treasurer at MGP for over two and a half years. After working at Bank of Baroda for about 29 years, he retired as IT Manager. After retirement, Mr Datar joined Consumer Guidance Cell of MGP in 2008 and solved many cases related to banking including online fraudulent transactions, misuse of credit cards and ATM cards. Also handled cases related to mobile and mediclaim. Mr Data

Shailesh Gandhi Shailesh Gandhi is a former Central Information Commissioner for the Right to Information Act. He is a successful RTI activist and a regular speaker at Moneylife Foundation.

SD Israni Dr SD Israni is an Advocate & Partner of SD Israni Law Chambers and has over 37 years of experience in the field of Corporate, Commercial and Securities Laws. He has simply written the book on Indian securities laws, copies of which he kindly donated to Moneylife Foundation library. Dr Israni's professional achievements are formidable. He was a member of the Naresh Chandra Committee for simplification of Company Law relating to private and small companies. He has been on SEBI's committee on

Samir Zaveri An extraordinary activist who has dedicated his life to the cause of railways, with a mission to help every rail commuter and accident victims, and improve Railway safety.

Yogesh Sapkale Yogesh Sapkale is Deputy Editor of Moneylife and writes on legal, RTI, and consumer issues

Sucheta Dalal Trustee - Moneylife Foundation

To ask a question

Sign Up or Sign In
than you