I have bought a property in Prakruthi Solitaire phase 2 , Nandhini builders, Bangalore and the possession date was mentioned as October 2014 , but still in April 2016 the property is only 80% completed. The builder is avoiding to meet the customers also and not answering the phone calls.In fact there is no proper communication channel in place. What are the legal options we have to tackle the builder in this case and get the property completed soon or get proper compensation. There is a Rs 5000 per month compensation clause as well in the agreement for the delay. Builder is not giving that also and is saying that it will be adjusted in the final settlement.Now all other partners like marketing (triaxis) and his partner is surrendering asking us to deal with the builder.And it does not look like builder or its partners are anyway interested in the project.
You have got correct solution for your problem, from other source, which needs modification, as under.\r\n\r\n(1) When you go to Consumer Court, file your complaint in Karnataka State Consumer Court, Bengaluru, if flat value is more than Rs20 lakh. Otherwise, file your complaint in Bengaluru District Court. Consumer Court Address you can get it from Google Search or by a visit to Bengaluru District Collector\'s (Deputy Commissioner\'s) Office.\r\n\r\nTo make complaint at Consumer Court, you should have all the proofs such as registered agreement, payment made by crossed cheques, bank pass book entries for payments made to the builder, your last written correspondence to the builder for asking delayed period compensation of Rs5,000 per month should be properly given.\r\n\r\nIn Consumer Court, it is not necessary to have an advocate. You can present your case yourself. Around Bengaluru, in Law Book Stalls, you will get a good book on how to present your case in Consumer Court.\r\n\r\n(2) As stated in earlier advise, going to the police station and civil court for injunction is not advisable. First you go to Consumer Court, which is fast and speedy.\r\n\r\nThen if you are not getting any relief from Consumer Court, that is, rent of Rs5,000 per month for the delayed period, then go to Civil Court, for a Civil Suit of Specific Performance, under Specific Relief Act, which is applicable for violation of terms of the Contract, which has adversely affected the buyer. If you are going for a Specific Relief Civil Suit, then you will need a good Advocate. If two or more affected persons like you make a combined one suit against the Builder, then you can share advocate\'s fees. Even advocate, will not object to it, for same civil suit more persons join, since complaint is against same party for the same cause.\r\n\r\nHere also, if you buy a good book on Specific Relief Act for a Law Book Stall, you can make a Specific Performance Civil Suit yourself (either alone or with similarly affected others) can make it, without an advocate.\r\n\r\n(3) I also suggest you to go to Town Planning Department (TPD) of Bengaluru Municipal Corporation (BMC), ask under Right to Information (RTI) application, to know the position of slow progress of your building\'s construction work. The TPD of BMC will inform you the reason for delay under your RTI application.\r\n\r\nEven for RTI application, you can get ample of information from Google Search or a Law Book from Law Book Stalls in Bengaluru.\r\n\r\nIf you simultaneously make application to TPD of BMC and Consumer Court, by the time your application to Consumer Court comes for hearing, you will also get some information on your building\'s construction work progress from BMC, under RTI. This RTI information you can use it at your Consumer Court hearing.\r\n\r\n(4) When all (1) (2) and (3) do not work, then for cheating in the construction work, under appropriate sections of Indian Penal Code (IPC), you can make a complaint against the builder, at local Police Station. Here, you will have to pursue your complaint from time to time, for its progress at different levels of Police, like, Deputy Police Commissioner (DSP), Additional Police Commissioner (Addnl SP), Police Commissioner (PC) or Superintendent of Police (SP) etc.\r\n\r\nTo know under which section he can be charged under IPC, you may have to buy a \"Hand book of Criminal Major Acts\", in which IPC, CrPC (Criminal Procedure Code) and Indian Evidence Act are given. This book is available with Law Book Stall at Bengaluru.\r\n\r\nAlternately you can hire an advocate. It is my experience that these advocates are often approached by the builders, and may make your case so light that the Builder may escape by paying only Rs10,000 fine, which is not at all a burden for him.\r\n\r\n(5) Recently Govt of India has passed Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Act, 2016. This act some State Governments have made their own act, based on Central Government\'s Act. \r\n\r\nPlease find out from Public Relation Officer of Vidhan Soudh, Bengaluru, whether this act or any such State Act is applicable to Karnataka State. If it is applicable, then your Builder has no escape. You can simultaneously prosecute him under Consumer Court and this Real Estate Act.\r\n
Our Experts

Shirish Shanbhag Shirish Shanbhag has an MSc in Organic Chemistry, Diploma in Higher Education, a Diploma in a French and has completed his LL.B. in first class, in 2021. Before his retirement, he was a junior college teacher at Patkar College from July 1980 to May 2012, where he taught theoretical and practical chemistry. Post retirement in 2012, he started providing guidance and counseling to people on several issues, with a specific focus on co-operative housing society related matters. Adv Shanbhag has a kee

Bapoo Malcolm Bapoo Malcolm is an Advocate at the Bombay High Court and a former national cycling champion and a man of many interests. Mr Malcolm is an expert in the mechanics of preparing Wills. He is advocate practising civil and criminal law as well as documentation and arbitration. He also takes up family court matters, redevelopment and MHADA matters and testamentary work, including litigation. Mr Malcolm operates in areas up to Nashik and Valsad and from Igatpuri to Udvada. He has experience in polluti

Ashok Kargutkar Ashok Kargutkar is a Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers (CAIIB) and has worked in Bank of India for 26 years. He has also been an insurance advisor with LIC India and AMFI registered Mutual Fund Advisor for 5+ years. He has also been a counsellor at Abhay Credit Counselling Center since its inception in Sept. 2008 to 2014.

AV Shenoy AV Shenoy hold degrees in both Mechanical and Electrical Engineering from VJTI, University of Bombay and a Post Graduate Diploma in Industrial Management from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies. Worked as a Design Engineer in Electrical Business Group of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. at Powai from October 1969 to September 2001 and retired as Dy. General Manager. Also worked as a Facilitator/Trainer for implementation of Total Quality Management (TQM) and ISO 9000 in the organization. Since r

Abhay Datar Abhay Datar is a consumer activist. After working at Bank of Baroda for about 29 years, he retired as IT Manager. After retirement, Mr Datar joined Consumer Guidance Cell of Mumbai Grahak Panchayat (MGP) in 2008 and solved many cases related to banking including online fraudulent transactions, misuse of credit cards and ATM cards. Also handled cases related with mobile banking frauds and mediclaim. Mr Datar was Member of the Managing Committee of MGP till March 2021.

Shailesh Gandhi Shailesh Gandhi is a former Central Information Commissioner for the Right to Information Act. He is a successful RTI activist and a regular speaker at Moneylife Foundation.

SD Israni Dr SD Israni is an Advocate & Partner of SD Israni Law Chambers and has over 37 years of experience in the field of Corporate, Commercial and Securities Laws. He has simply written the book on Indian securities laws, copies of which he kindly donated to Moneylife Foundation library. Dr Israni's professional achievements are formidable. He was a member of the Naresh Chandra Committee for simplification of Company Law relating to private and small companies. He has been on SEBI's committee on

Samir Zaveri An extraordinary activist who has dedicated his life to the cause of railways, with a mission to help every rail commuter and accident victims, and improve Railway safety.

Yogesh Sapkale Yogesh Sapkale is Deputy Editor of Moneylife and writes on legal, RTI, and consumer issues

Sucheta Dalal Trustee - Moneylife Foundation

Your question will be published directly on the site. Please do not enter any personal details like name, mobile number, email id etc.

To ask a question

Sign Up or Sign In
than you