Aadhaar is a 12-digit number issued to every Indian citizen by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) on the basis of their biometric information and demographic data. It is required for availing benefits of government schemes, opening bank accounts and even for filing income tax returns and hence is an important document.
After you receive your Aadhaar card, you must check if all your details in the document are correct or not. In case you change your residence, you need to update your address on Aadhaar. Address can be changed both online and offline. In order to update address offline, you can visit your nearest permanent enrollment centre.
However, if one wants to change the details in their Aadhaar card, it is cumbersome to go to the local Aadhaar enrollment centre to get the card details updated. During Covid, it is unsafe to visit the Aadhaar centres which can be crowded, hence you can use this online option to update the address.
The corrections or updates allowed (online) include your demographic data, which comes under group 1 - such as name, date of birth, email, address, cell number, and gender. However, changes in group 2 (biometrics changes which include iris scan, fingerprints, and facial photograph) cannot be changed on the online portal and require a visit to the local permanent enrollment centre.
In order to update address in your Aadhaar card online, mobile number is mandatory. Aadhaar card address updation requires OTP verification and the OTP is sent to your registered mobile number only.
UIDAI (allows us to change, correct or update the address by submitting valid documents digitally. UIDAI accepts 45 documents as proof of address.
Passport, rent agreement, bank statement or passbook, driving license, telephone bill, electricity bill, water bill, voter ID card are among the list of 45 documents, that are cited on UIDAI portal as acceptable valid address proof.
In case, you are using a bank passbook as an address proof, then ensure that your photo in the passbook is stamped & signed by the bank. Without this, it is not considered a valid document. If you are loading any of the 45 documents, make sure that the document is in your name, the entire document is scanned (front and back side) and uploaded as a single .pdf file.
Here is a step-wise process to update your address on Aadhaar online:
1) Go to the Unique Identification Authority of India's portal
2) Select the ‘update your address online’ option under the ‘Update Aadhaar’ tab
3) A new tab will open. Enter your registered mobile number along with your Aadhaar number and the capcha code to receive an OTP or one-time-passcode on your registered mobile number. This OTP is valid for 10 minutes.
4) Enter the OTP to proceed.
5) Select the 'address update' checkbox, and enter the required details.
6) After you have filled in your complete address, you are required to upload the scanned copies of original supporting documents of POA (proof of address)
7) UIDAI will issue a new Aadhaar card and send it to your updated address.