India Gets Serious About Fiber Investments, Heavy Reading Reports
Broadband service demand has spurred India to better reach users with FTTx technologies with improved fiber, says Heavy Reading Insider
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., July 12, 2012
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., July 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Spurred by soaring demand for broadband services, India's government and network operators are ramping up efforts to improve fiber-optic infrastructure and to drive fiber deployments out to more end users with fiber-to-the-x (FTTx) technologies, according to the latest report published by Heavy Reading Insider (www.heavyreading.com/insider), a subscription research service from Heavy Reading (www.heavyreading.com).
FTTx Market Starts Lighting Up in India examines the current and projected state of the Indian optical fiber network, including fiber projects now under way or planned by India's national and state governments, as well as the nation's top network operators. The report covers a range of passive optical network (PON) technologies, including GPON, GE-PON, P2P-PON and WDM-PON, and profiles five leading suppliers of FTTx technologies in the India market.
For a list of companies covered in this report, http://img.lightreading.com/lri/pdf/hri0712_companies.pdf
"The consumption of broadband services is growing exponentially, with the sheer unpredictability of demand making it difficult to determine the network capacity operators need to satisfy their customers with the best experience at the lowest cost," says Arvind Nagasayanam, research analyst with Heavy Reading Insider and author of the report. "India has very low broadband penetration, which provides a huge opportunity for the optical fiber networks to be deployed in FTTx configurations in the urban/semi-urban scenarios."
India's national government has set a target of 48 million broadband connections for a sample of 241 million households by 2012, says Nagasayanam. "In the last decade, Indian service providers have laid more than 1 million km of optical fiber across the country," he continues. "Optical fiber access will progressively penetrate deeper into the network and edge closer to the end user. However, fiber laying is a time-consuming process, so in the interim, multiple technologies such as xDSL, microwave and broadband wireless technologies such as LTE will continue to coexist in the first mile."
Key findings of FTTx Market Starts Lighting Up in India include the following:
- Ambitious broadband growth targets set by the Indian government requires fiber access.
- GPON is suitable for rural India and bandwidth would then be shared.
- The National Fiber Optic network project to wire each of the 600,000 villages with fiber termination will facilitate implementation of various e-governance initiatives such as e-health, e-banking and e-education, thereby facilitating inclusive growth.
- Challenges in deployment include right-of-way costs, access to buildings (residential and business) and subscriber acquisition.
- Applications over optical fiber network using open source code will use NOFN to connect rural areas with educational institutions, health service and central government services.
- Innovations from vendors active in the Indian market are highlighted.
FTTx Market Starts Lighting Up in India is available as part of an annual single-user subscription (12 monthly issues) to Heavy Reading Insider, priced at $1,995. Individual reports are available for $900 (single-user license).
To subscribe, or for more information, please visit: www.heavyreading.com/insider. For more information about other Heavy Reading Insider research services, please visit: www.heavyreading.com/research.
To request a free executive summary of the report, or for details on multi-user licensing options, please contact:
Global Director of Sales, Research
Marketing Director, Light Reading Communications Network
About Heavy Reading (www.heavyreading.com)
Heavy Reading is an independent research organization offering deep analysis of emerging telecom trends to network operators, technology suppliers, and investors. Its product portfolio includes in-depth reports that address critical next-generation technology and service issues, market trackers that focus on the telecom industry's most critical technology sectors, exclusive worldwide surveys of network operator decision-makers that identify future purchasing and deployment plans, and a rich array of custom and consulting services that give clients the market intelligence needed to compete successfully in the global telecom industry. As a telecom research arm of the Light Reading Communications Network (www.lrcn.com), Heavy Reading contributes to the only integrated business information platform serving the global communications industry.
About Light Reading Communications Network (www.lrcn.com)
The Light Reading Communications Network combines the most trusted telecom research brands with award-winning online communities and a rich events portfolio to deliver the only integrated business information platform serving the global communications industry. With the power of this platform, leaders who build, deploy, finance, and regulate next-generation telecom networks are able to make more informed decisions on emerging market and service opportunities. Light Reading Communications Network is a division of UBM TechWeb (www.ubmtechweb.com), the global leader in technology media and business information.
SOURCE Heavy Reading
Feed from BusinessWire
Dell Ranks #2 on India's Most Respected Technology Vendors Survey by CIO Association of India
Source: Dell India (Business Wire India) On: 19th Jun, 18:40
JOHNNIE WALKER® BLUE LABEL™ and Alfred Dunhill Unveil Limited Edition Collection in the Face of Resilient Luxury Industry
Source: Business Wire (Business Wire India) On: 19th Jun, 16:39
Delta Introduces 24V 10W and 24V 100W Chrome DIN-Rail Power Supplies
Source: Delta (Business Wire India) On: 19th Jun, 16:34
SES and IPMTV Broaden Partnership
Source: Business Wire (Business Wire India) On: 19th Jun, 16:30
MediaScape / Cignal TV Extends Partnership with SES
Source: Business Wire (Business Wire India) On: 19th Jun, 16:01
BigRock and .biz Launch Program to Bring More Indian Businesses Online
Source: BigRock (Business Wire India) On: 19th Jun, 14:37
Pöyry Releases Biocoal White Paper in Conjunction with PAM-Sponsored Biomass Conference
Source: Business Wire (Business Wire India) On: 19th Jun, 11:40
Rolman Group’s KSA Venture Taps into USD 40 Million Bearings Market
Source: Business Wire (Business Wire India) On: 19th Jun, 11:36
GVK BIO and US FDA Announce Drug Repositioning Collaboration - License to GVK BIO SAR Database GOSTAR
Source: GVK Biosciences Private Limited (Business Wire India) On: 19th Jun, 11:30
Maveric Systems Appoints B Sriram as Senior Vice President – Sales Support
Source: Maveric Systems (Business Wire India) On: 19th Jun, 11:27
Feed from PR Newswire
Rio de Janeiro Launches Public-private Partnership for Zero-emission Transportation
Source: Renault-Nissan Alliance On: 19th Jun, 01:24 PM
Innovative Drug Delivery Systems: Novel Product and Formulation Technology Licensing Opportunities for Generic Pharmaceutical Companies
Source: Bharat Book Bureau On: 19th Jun, 09:30 AM
Drug Patent Watch
Source: Bharat Book Bureau On: 19th Jun, 09:30 AM
Tata Consultancy Services CEO N Chandrasekaran Named One of STEMconnector's "100 CEO Leaders in STEM"
Source: Tata Consultancy Services On: 19th Jun, 09:30 AM
HGS Makes Major Additions to its Leadership Team
Source: HGS On: 19th Jun, 09:00 AM
Major Post Production Facility, AM Studios Chooses Auro 11.1 by Barco on Account of Unique 3D Sound Experience
Source: Barco Electronic Systems Pvt. Ltd On: 19th Jun, 06:58 AM
Acision's Annual Research Shows UK and US Messaging Trends Become More Closely Aligned as OTT Service Usage Proliferates
Source: Acision On: 19th Jun, 05:40 AM
Calling All Lovers: First Ever Worldwide Durex Experiment
Source: Reckitt Benckiser (RB) On: 19th Jun, 04:24 AM
Call Center Worker Risks All for Life-long Fashion Dream
Source: Haniya’s Boutique On: 19th Jun, 04:00 AM
Aurigene and Debiopharm Group™ Report Nomination of Development Candidate Debio 0617B in Oncology
Source: The Debiopharm Group On: 19th Jun, 03:46 AM
- Banks Vs Depositors
- FIR against godman Brahmrishi Kumarswami
- FIPB defers decision on Jet-Etihad deal; Telenor gets go-ahead
- WPI-based Inflation eases to 4.7% in May
- I-T dept issues Rs816 crore demand notice on Wipro
- Government rectifies IIP data to 2.2% within 24 hours
- Naxals attack Dhanbad-Patna train, kills RPF jawan
- SEBI seeks details of Infosys board meeting of 1st June
- NSE to suspend trading in KS Oils, Abhishek Corp from 21st June
- Amway India chief, two others arrested under PCMCS Act. What about other MLMs?
- TDS on bank deposits: RBI’s advice to acknowledge 15-G/15-H is only half a step
- Corporate Governance: Convenience Rules with Infy Too
- Credit Sudhaar asking Rs16,000 a year for restoring 'credit'?
- Governance Deficit in Infosys?
- “Banks should not be selling third-party products,” RBI deputy governor
- Someone knew Narayana Murthy is coming back and traded on it
- Voila! A demand draft is bounced!
- Many messy reasons why people prefer gold. Can the FM remove them?
- Mango: Our Super Functional Food
- Suicides: Thousands of helpless men are victimized every year, says SIFF
- When Narayana Murthy walked the talk on Good Governance
- HDFC Bank pitches toxic product to NRIs
- A yield of 19.4%?
- Exclusive: Here is the Real Estate Bill, kept hidden from public
- Monitoring politically exposed persons: Need for a new approach by RBI
- Moneylife Impact: Now pay online for your passport; challan option also available
What's your say?
What you said
Thanks for casting your votes! View Previous Polls