Citizens' Issues
Young Bengal cricketer dies after on-field collision

The 20-year-old East Bengal player was injured and fell unconscious on the ground on Friday following a collision with another fielder while taking a catch during a Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) senior knockout match against Bhowanipore

 

Promising cricketer and former Bengal Under-19 captain Ankit Kesri, who sustained a head injury in an on-field collision during a local game three days back, died at a private hospital here on Monday morning. The bereaved family alleged "medical negligence".
 
The 20-year-old East Bengal player was injured and fell unconscious on the ground on Friday following a collision with another fielder while taking a catch during a Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) senior knockout match against Bhowanipore.
 
The opening batsman, who was also a member of the Under-23 Bengal squad this year, passed away Monday morning following a massive heart attack, a CAB official said.
 
CAB treasurer Biswarup Dey said soon after the collision, Kesri was given mouth-to-mouth resuscitation by another cricketer, S.S. Singh, and then examined by a doctor before being rushed to a hospital close to the ground in an ambulance stationed at the Jadavpur University stadium.
 
Ankit's father Raj Kumar Kesri alleged his son had to be shifted to a private city hospital in central Kolkata on Sunday following the instructions given by a CAB official.
 
"On Friday, tests and scans were done initially and the doctors said he is fine. We were told he is normal and he will be transferred to the general ward from the ICU. But later they said, he had contracted fever and so they didn't shift him to the general ward," Ankit's father told a TV channel on Monday.
 
"We shifted him to another hospital after the doctors said CAB officials had suggested so."
 
"At the other hospital, doctors said there is a slight injury and he is drowsy. They said he will remain there for three to four days. On Sunday, they informed us he will be shifted to the general ward but we got a phone call early morning today saying there was a heart block," he added.
 
Raj Kumar also alleged medical negligence for his son's tragic demise.
 
"If the treatment was good, then he could have been saved. He was playing well. He did not have any bad habits," the grieving father said.
 
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee condoled Kesri's death.
 
"Saddened, shocked with the news of young cricketer Ankit's death as a result of an on-field accident. My condolences and prayers. RIP," Banerjee posted on Twitter.
 
Kesri's tragic fate invoked the memories of the unfortunate death of Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes who was fatally hit by a bouncer during a domestic match on November 25 last year, and died from the injuries two days later.
 
Former India cricketer Raman Lamba also died in a similar way, from injuries sustained during a cricket match. He was hit by a ball on the temple while fielding in a Bangladesh league cricket match and died after slipping into coma due to internal haemorrhage on February 23, 1998.
 
Indian cricket legends Sachin Tendulkar and Anil Kumble condoled the death of Kesri.
 
"Saddened by the demise of Ankit Kesri. A promising career aborted by an unfortunate incident on field. May God give strength to Ankit's family and friends to cope with this loss #RIP," Tendulkar wrote on his social networking page Twitter.
 
"Sad news of a young promising cricketer Ankit losing his life on field of play. May God give strength to loved ones to bear this loss!," Kumble wrote.
 
Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, who is West Bengal's brand ambassador and co-owner of Indian Premier League (IPL) team Kolkata Knight Riders, also expressed his grief.
 
"Too young to go. Extremely unfortunate and sad. Condolences and prayers for Ankit Keshri and his family. May Allah bless his soul. R.I.P," SRK said via Twitter.
 
"RIP Ankit Keshri. Young cricketer passes away because of cardiac arrest following on-field injury," the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) tweet said.

 

User

Odisha court sentences three in chit-fund case

The court of Chief Judicial Magistrate, Baripada, in Mayurbhanj district convicted India Info Star and India Info Line's regional manager Diptikant Behera, branch manager Gagan Patra, Subhendu Sekhar for cheating depositors, public prosecutor Santanu Das told reporters

 

A court in Odisha on Monday sentenced three people up to five years in jail for their involvement in the multi-crore chit-fund scam. The court also slapped them with heavy fines.
 
The court of Chief Judicial Magistrate, Baripada, in Mayurbhanj district convicted India Info Star and India Info Line's regional manager Diptikant Behera, branch manager Gagan Patra, Subhendu Sekhar for cheating depositors, public prosecutor Santanu Das told reporters. 
 
Behera would undergo rigorous imprisonment of five years with a fine of Rs1 crore, while the branch manager and manager would undergo four years of rigorous imprisonment and pay a fine of Rs20 lakh each, he said. 
 
In default of payment, Behera would spend 18 more months in jail while Patra and Sekhar will spend additionally six months each, said Das. 
 
However, the court issued a direction that even if the convicted people served the jail term after default of payment, the authorities have to realise the fine amount slapped on them. 
 
They had duped people by floating two chit-fund companies in the district in November 2011. They closed down their offices after collecting about Rs1.31 core. 
 

User

CBI to seek Interpol's help in nurses' job scam probe

The CBI had asked Uthup Varghese, who owns the agency which recruited nurses for Kuwait, to appear before the agency Monday

 

The CBI will seek the assistance of Interpol to bring back a key accused in the Rs200-crore Kuwait nurses job scam, said a CBI official.
 
The CBI had asked Uthup Varghese, who owns the agency which recruited nurses for Kuwait, to appear before the agency Monday.
 
"Now that he has not presented before us today (Monday), despite serving notices, we will now...seek the assistance of Interpol to get him here," said the official who did not wish to be identified.
 
"Yes, we have come to know that at present he is in Kuwait," added the official.
 
The Kochi-based firm recruiting nurses for Kuwait was collecting Rs19.50 lakh as fee instead of Rs19,500 and had recruited nearly 1,000 nurses in the past one year.
 
Last month, Income Tax department officials during a raid at the recruitment agency found huge sums of unaccounted money, and soon the CBI stepped in after a nurse who was recruited and paid the whopping fee to the agency, decided not to take up the job.
 
When she approached the Protector of Emigrants (PoE) for help to get her money back from the recruitment agency, she got a cold response.
 
After a court here last week rejected an anticipatory bail application of the PoE, L. Adolfus, he appeared before the CBI on Monday morning.
 
"We heard from him what he had to say and he was let off. Now we are waiting for Varghese and in the meanwhile, we are going ahead with the probe," added the CBI official. 

User

COMMENTS

MOHAN

2 years ago

Uthup Varghese is BJP in Delhi and Congress in Kerala !

http://www.mangalam.com/print-edition/ke...

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)