Suspended DGM of SEBI gets bail in graft case
CBI had arrested Averjeet Singh along with his accomplice on a complaint filed by Ahmedabad-based trader for demanding and accepting bribe of Rs10 lakh to clear his name in a case of market manipulation
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High court granted bail to Avarjeet Singh, the suspended deputy general manager of Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) in a bribery case lodged by a city-based trader, reports PTI.
Justice JC Upadhyay, while allowing the bail petition of Singh, also directed him not to go to Mumbai, where he used to work at Sebi office, till 31st July.
The court has granted bail to Ashok Mehta, an accomplice of Singh in the case, as well.
"The bail was granted subject to both of them furnishing bonds of Rs25,000 and would need to report once every month to CBI office here which is investigating the case," said Senior Counsel PM Thakkar, who represented Mehta.
The bail applications of the accused currently lodged in Sabarmati Central Jail under judicial custody were rejected by the special CBI court last week.
CBI had arrested Averjeet Singh on 2nd June along with Mehta on a complaint filed by a city-based trader for demanding and accepting bribe of Rs10 lakh to clear his name in a case of market manipulation.
Singh was first sent for three-day remand by a CBI special court. The agency then sought further remand which was refused by the court.
Following this, the investigating agency approached the high court pleading that it needed five more days to interrogate the accused. The court on 15th June allowed another four days' custodial interrogation of Singh.
More in Moneylife
11 Stocks with High Dividend Yield +4573 views
TODAY'S TOP STORIES
Moneylife Foundation launches Legal Helpline and Resource Centre
- 11 Stocks with High Dividend Yield
- Traffic can be stopped only for President, Vice President and Prime Minister
- “Entrepreneurs should always have a clear vision,” says Meenal Arora
- Sensex, Nifty in a highly bullish mode: Weekly market report
- Does the election expenses limit have any meaning?
- Citrus Check Inns mis-selling holiday package as investment plan?
- Bitcoin exchange First Meta's CEO found dead in Singapore
- Need for immediate crack down on high flying wilful defaulters –Part I
- Sensex, Nifty in a massive rally: Friday closing report
- Sensex, Nifty close at all time high on shrinking CAD: Thursday closing report
- What Really Happened at United Bank of India?
- Is SEBI aware of huge mutual fund upfront commissions?
- QNet: Bombay HC rejects Transview plea to defreeze bank accounts
- QNet fallout? Pushpam Appalanaidu, MD of QuestNet India, arrested
- A Thin Dividing Line: An eye-opener on Indian losses due to tax treaties
- “Ambani ki dukaan Includes Congress-BJP-Media” — Kejriwal
- How RTI activist exposed Pune Div Commissioner Prabhakar Deshmukh’s land scam
- United Bank’s bulging NPAs: What went wrong?
- Crazy about “corporate governance norms”, SEBI is blind about Geodesic
- Who is 'pepper spray' Rajagopal?
What's your say?
What you said
Thanks for casting your votes! View Previous Polls