Suspended DGM of SEBI gets bail in graft case
CBI had arrested Averjeet Singh along with his accomplice on a complaint filed by Ahmedabad-based trader for demanding and accepting bribe of Rs10 lakh to clear his name in a case of market manipulation
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High court granted bail to Avarjeet Singh, the suspended deputy general manager of Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) in a bribery case lodged by a city-based trader, reports PTI.
Justice JC Upadhyay, while allowing the bail petition of Singh, also directed him not to go to Mumbai, where he used to work at Sebi office, till 31st July.
The court has granted bail to Ashok Mehta, an accomplice of Singh in the case, as well.
"The bail was granted subject to both of them furnishing bonds of Rs25,000 and would need to report once every month to CBI office here which is investigating the case," said Senior Counsel PM Thakkar, who represented Mehta.
The bail applications of the accused currently lodged in Sabarmati Central Jail under judicial custody were rejected by the special CBI court last week.
CBI had arrested Averjeet Singh on 2nd June along with Mehta on a complaint filed by a city-based trader for demanding and accepting bribe of Rs10 lakh to clear his name in a case of market manipulation.
Singh was first sent for three-day remand by a CBI special court. The agency then sought further remand which was refused by the court.
Following this, the investigating agency approached the high court pleading that it needed five more days to interrogate the accused. The court on 15th June allowed another four days' custodial interrogation of Singh.
More in Moneylife
Is the Modi govt helping Ponzi, MLMs become legal? +11610 views
TODAY'S TOP STORIES
Insurance problems: How to get justice from Ombudsman in a cost-effective way
Unicity. Is another company from bangalore I got to know Hemant Sharma
- Jayalalitha gets interim bail from Supreme Court
- 49% of RTI applications about information that is deliberately hidden from public
- SBI Chief Tries to Shift the Blame on NPAs
- How Moneylife Foundation's Free Credit Helpline is important to you
- Book Review of 'Not Just an Accountant'
- Learn From Others’ Insurance Mistakes
- Is the Modi govt helping Ponzi, MLMs become legal?
- The ‘Made in India’ Problem
- Why are ex-servicemen disillusioned with successive govts?
- From Flipkart to Flopkart in one BigBillionDay
- Modi’s target to put India in the top 50 in ‘Ease-Of-Doing-Business’ a pipedream?
- Aadhaar: Is the Modi govt moving against the Supreme Court order?
What's your say?
What you said
Thanks for casting your votes! View Previous Polls