Seven accused in Adarsh scam get bail

The accused pleaded for bail, saying they were entitled to be released as the CBI had not filed charge sheet within the stipulated 60 days

Mumbai: The seven accused in the Adarsh Housing Society scam, including its chief promoter and former Congress MLC Kanhaiyalal Gidwani, were on Tuesday granted bail by a special court, reports PTI.

The accused were directed to furnish surety of Rs5 lakh each and asked to report to the CBI office in Mumbai on Tuesdays and Thursdays every week.

Of the nine accused, those who secured bail include IAS officer Pradeep Vyas, former deputy secretary in Urban Development Department PV Deshmukh, Brigadier (retd) MM Wanchoo, retired Defence Estates Officer RC Thakur, Major General (Retd) AR Kumar, Major Gen (Retd) TK Kaul and former MLC Kanhaiyyalal Gidwani.

All the accused have been charged with criminal conspiracy under IPC and various sections under the Prevention of Corruption Act and Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Act.

The accused pleaded for bail, saying they were entitled to be released as the CBI had not filed charge sheet within the stipulated 60 days.

Opposing the bail, CBI argued that they intended to add stringent sections of IPC such as section 409 (criminal breach of trust by public servant) and section 467 (forgery) which would attract life imprisonment for the accused. In such case the time limit for filing charge sheet would be 90 days.

Prosecutor Bharat Badami told the court that they had collected samples of signature of the accused and this had been sent for analysis. CBI is collecting evidence to prove that the accused had committed offence under sections 409 and 467 IPC.

The scam pertains to alleged irregularities in construction and allotment of apartments in the 32-storeyed high rise, originally meant for families of Kargil war heroes, in the upmarket Colaba area in south Mumbai.

User

Malaysian Airlines to pay Rs1 lakh to woman for losing her bag

A bench of New Delhi district consumer forum asked Malaysian Airlines to pay the compensation for losing her baggage en route

New Delhi: Malaysian Airlines has been asked by a Delhi district consumer forum to pay Rs1 lakh to a woman for spoiling her trip to that country, where she had gone to attend her friend's wedding but the airlines lost her baggage with her party wears and other essentials en route, reports PTI.

A bench of New Delhi district consumer forum asked the airlines to pay the compensation to Mumbai resident Farah Mehta, who had taken the flight to Langkavi there but ended up as an anguished lot.

"In light of the fact, the total tour was spoilt, and she suffered great emotional, physical, mental anxiety and worry, with no words of comfort or regret. The paltry offer (of the airlines) for loss only added insult to her injury.

"In our consideration view an amount of Rs1 lakh, in total would be just compensation to the complainant in the facts and circumstances of the case," said a bench of forum's President CK Chaturvedi and members SR Chaudhary and Asha Kumar.

Mehta approached the forum complaining that she had lost her baggage during the journey with the airlines from Delhi to Malaysia on 7 March 2008.

The woman said she had gone abroad to attend her friend's wedding but on reaching there, she could not find her bag in which she had kept her dresses and gifts for the occasion.

"She had to stay in hotel on the day of marriage without a dress for the occasion. She also was on medication for acidity. Her problem become acute, due to extreme anxiety, uncertainty and stress," the complaint read, adding that the airlines staff was of no help in locating her luggage.

She could not locate her bag even after returning to India and on complaining at airlines office, they offered her Rs16,000 according to her luggage's weight, she said, adding that she had refused to take the said amount.

User

Fortis Healthcare Q4 net up 41% to Rs 42 crore

Fortis Healthcare's total income rose to Rs1,279 crore in January-March quarter from Rs421.18 crore last year

Mumbai: Fortis Healthcare on Tuesday reported 41.3% increase in its fourth quarter consolidated net profit at Rs 41.54 crore, reports PTI.

The company had posted a net profit of Rs 29.39 crore in the same period last year, Fortis Healthcare said in a filing to the BSE.

Its total income rose to Rs1,279 crore in January-March quarter from Rs421.18 crore in the same period last year.

For the year ended March 2012, Fortis Healthcare's consolidated net profit slipped, however, to Rs72.22 crore from Rs124.33 crore in FY11.

On the standalone basis, Fortis' net profit increased to Rs184.98 crore in the January-March quarter of this year from Rs 33.82 crore in the same period last year.

Meanwhile, in a separate filing the company the announced appointment of Pradeep Ratilal Raniga and Joji Sekhon Gill as additional directors of the company.

The board also granted an in principal approval for the future listing of the company's clinical establishment division, on the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Ltd (SGX-ST) and it will be seeking shareholder approval for it.

In the early noon trading Fortis Healthcare was trading at Rs104.25, up 2.9% on the BSE.

User

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)