Leisure, Lifestyle & Wellness
Sanjay Dutt released after serving jail sentence
Pune (Maharashtra) : Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt finally walked out a free man after serving his jail-term from the Yerwada Central Jail (YCJ) here on Thursday morning. He said there's no easy walk to freedom.
 
He was sentenced to undergo five years' rigorous imprisonment for illegal possession of arms during the March 1993 Mumbai serial blasts.
 
Arrested in 1993, Dutt had already served 18 months as an undertrial and then returned to jail in May 2013 to serve the remainder of his sentence.
 
He walked out of the blue-yellow painted YCJ gates carrying a huge bag of his personal belongings and a plastic bag of files and papers.
 
Near the main gate, sporting a dark blue shirt and jeans, Dutt put the bag down, turned around and saluted the Indian tricolor fluttering atop the jail building where he spent a momentous part of his life.
 
Earlier, he thanked the police and jail staff but they took care not ro get too close or helpful with the actor, and let him lug his own bulky bag as he walked to the barricades near his waiting car.
 
Present to receive him outside the YCJ were his wife Manyata aand their children, sister and ex-MP Priya Dutt and her family, filmmaker Rajkumar Hirani, his lawyers, thousands of fans and a huge media contingent from across India and abroad.
 
Shortly after he walked out of the YCJ, he drove to Pune Airport at Lohegaon to board a chartered plane to Mumbai.
 
There, he spoke to the media and credited his fans for their unending support.
 
He said: "I am here because of their (fans') support. And there is no easy road to freedom, my friends."
 
From the Mumbai Airport, Dutt will proceed straight to the famed Siddhhi Vinayak Temple in Dadar west to offer thankgiving prayers.
 
Then he will go to the Bada Kabrastan in south Mumbai and pray at the grave of his mother the late actress Nargis Dutt who died of cancer.
 
After this, Dutt will go to his Bandra home, for his permanent 'ghar wapasi', meet his family and friends and is expected to interact with media in the afternoon.
 
His sister Priya was asked if Sanjay is considering a move into politics?
 
She said: "I hope not... He is too simple a person... Politics has reached different levels. Hope he remains happy. He is looking forward to coming back to work. He was uncertain... (about his film career)."
 
The actor is yet to zero in on the new films that he will be working on.
 
Hirani, who has worked with Dutt in the "Munnabhai" series, said in a video: "We are happy that Sanju is coming back... He has served his term, and will come back and play his second innings. Indians are famous for scoring in their second innings. I am sure he is going to come and rock. I look forward to work on his biopic and also to start 'Munnabhai 3' very soon with him."
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

Over Rs.5,000 crore garnered from NTPC stake sale
New Delhi : The government on Wednesday raised around Rs.5,030 crore from sale of 5 percent stake in India's largest power generator NTPC, although retail participation was lukewarm at a time of steep fall in the country's stock markets.
 
Disinvestment Secretary Neeraj K.Gupta told reporters here that the retail portion too would have been over-subscribed in the manner of the instituitonal response on Tuesday, had the broader markets been stable.
 
"Despite 700 points plunge, investor interest was alive with retail investors coming in at an effective price of Rs.116," Gupta said.
 
While the retail investors bid for only about 3.63 crore shares out of the 8.24 crore reserved for them, institutional investors had bid 1.8 times the offer size of 32.98 crore shares.
 
"Cut off price with respect to non retail category of NTPC has been fixed at Rs.122.05," the Bombay Stock Exchange said.
 
The stake sale began in splendid fashion on Tuesday with the institutional investors portion getting oversubscribed within two hours of the opening of trade.
 
The base price for the NTPC offer for sale (OFS) had been fixed at Rs.122 per share. The government, which currently holds 74.96 percent stake in the power utility.
 
SBI Cap Securities, ICICI Securities, Edelweiss Securities and Deutsche Equities are the bankers to the share sale.
 
The government has divested stake in five companies, raising a total of Rs.13,300 crore so far in this fiscal, while this sale will be the second biggest divestment after Indian Oil Corp, which garnered the exchequer around Rs.9,370 crore. It has a divestment target of Rs.69,500 crore for 2015-16.
 
NTPC stock closed on Wednesday at Rs.118.70 a share, down 4.20 percent over its previous close on the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

WTO rules against India on US solar exports
Washington : In a setback to India, a World Trade Organization (WTO) dispute settlement panel has ruled in favour of the US in its challenge to New Delhi's alleged discrimination against US solar exports, according to US Trade Representative (USTR).
 
The panel agreed with the US that India's "localisation" rules discriminated against imported solar cells and modules under India's National Solar Mission, according to an official news release citing USTR Michael Froman.
 
India's domestic content requirements, it agreed, discriminate against US solar cells and modules by requiring solar power developers to use Indian-manufactured cells and modules rather than US or other imported solar technology in breach of international trade rules.
 
The panel also rejected India's defensive arguments and determined that India's local content requirements are inconsistent with the national treatment obligations in Article 2.1 of the Agreement on Trade-related Investment Measures (TRIMs Agreement) and Article III:4 of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade 1994.
 
The USTR called it "an important outcome, not just as it applies to this case, but also as other countries consider localization policies."
 
USTR said it initiated this dispute in February 2013 because it considered that India's domestic content requirements are inconsistent with WTO rules that prohibit discrimination against imported products.
 
The US, it said, has consistently made the case that India can achieve its clean energy goals faster and more cost-effectively by allowing solar technologies to be imported from the US and other solar producers.
 
"Today, the WTO panel agreed with the United States that India's 'localization' measures discriminate against US manufacturers and are against WTO rules," Froman said.
 
The US and India "are strong supporters of the multilateral, rules-based trading system and take our WTO obligations seriously," he said.
 
"This is an important outcome, not just as it applies to this case, but for the message it sends to other countries considering discriminatory 'localization' policies."
 
"The United States strongly supports the rapid deployment of solar energy around the world - including in India," Froman said.
 
"But discriminatory policies in the clean energy space in fact undermine our efforts to promote clean energy by requiring the use of more expensive and less efficient equipment, raising the cost of generating clean energy and making it more difficult for clean energy sources to be competitive," he said.
 
The US had challenged the Government of India's imposition of domestic content requirements for solar cells and modules under India's National Solar Mission.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)