Saina Nehwal's name has been included in the list of people to be given Padma Bhushan. The announcement from the MHA will be on this year's Republic Day
In a statement by the Department of Sports of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, the Ministry said that it had decided to recommend Saina Nehwal's name for Padma Bhushan.
The Ministry said that even though the deadline for recommendations to be sent to the Ministry of Home Affairs had long passed, Nehwal's name would be forwarded for the award as a special case.
The Ministry also made clarifications regarding the controversy raked up after Nehwal's public outburst complaining about her name not being included in the sportsmen recommended for the award.
“I heard that Sushil Kumar's name was sent for Padma award as a special case, while my name was not sent to Ministry of home affairs by sports ministry. The ministry guidelines say that there needs to be a gap of five years between two Padma awards. So if they can send his name, why they didn't recommend my name as I have completed the five years gap. I felt bad about it,” Nehwal had said to PTI News a few days ago.
“It is also clarified that Ministry had not received any nomination in respect of Ms Saina Nehwal last year either. So the question of Department of Sports intimating Ms Saina Nehwal that her nomination for Padma Bhushan was not recommended to the Ministry of Home Affairs in 2013, as there has to be a gap of 5 years between two Padma Awards, does not arise,” the statement said.
As per the statement of the Ministry it was clear that the Badminton Association of India had failed to recommend Nehwal's name for the award.
In cases where a Padma award has been awarded to someone within the last 5 years they cannot be given another Padma award. This can be waived by the Home Ministry in special cases. In this regard, “The Ministry had not received nomination in respect of Ms Saina Nehwal from Badminton Association of India or any other agency, for Padma Bhushan for 2014,” the statement said.
Indian markets continue to remain buoyant with the steady news of Narendra Modi’s many...
The land was taken back by the Rajasthan Government for illegal land use mutations, part of the land also reportedly belonged to Robert Vadra
Land use mutations of 374.44 hectares of land have been cancelled by the Rajasthan Government. The land is in the Kolayat region in Bikaner.
A total of 18 mutations were cancelled for being “illegal in private person's name.” Reports had suggested that some of this land may belong to companies owned by Robert Vadra.
The Rajasthan Government had long been under fire for not acting against Vadra's land buys in the state. The land value had shot up after the Centre had proposed a solar power project in the area.
The Sub-Divisional Magistrate Ran Singh was quoted by PTI News as saying, “On December 31, the SDM court in Kolayat took up multiple complaints filed by Kolayat Tehsildar on 18 false mutation cases and cancelled these mutations as the land was found to be wrongfully allotted to private persons in last few years. The mutation cases were not issued by the Commissioner for Colonisation situated in Bikaner and were found to be illegally possessed by private persons, and hence cancelled.”
The illegal allotment was said to be done based on faked eligibility for the land, by showing the allottees as having been displaced by the construction of the Mahajan Field Firing Range of the Indian Army.
However, the Rajasthan Government has again faced criticism for not pursuing criminal cases or filing any FIRs against the allottees.