Subscribers have the option of choosing to be under the 'Fully Blocked' category, which is akin to the 'Do Not Call Registry'. If a user selects the 'Partially Blocked' category, they will receive SMSes in categories chosen by them
New Delhi: Millions of telecom subscribers (mobile and landline) will finally get relief from unwanted calls and SMSes from 27th September, reports PTI.
All those subscribers who have registered with the National Customer Preference Registry (earlier known as 'Do Not Call Registry'' would get relief from all commercial communications, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) said.
"...relevant clauses of regulations have been amended and the regulations are being implemented from 27th September," it added in a statement.
India has over 850 million mobile and over 34 million fixed line subscribers.
Last year, the regulator had announced recommendations to curb the menace of such calls and SMSes but the guidelines could not be implemented in the absence of an identified number series, first in case of commercial calls coming from mobile networks and then in landline phones.
"DoT has provided '140' number series to be allocated to telemarketers. Access providers (operators) have to make relevant provisions in their network before allocation of resources to telemarketers using '140' numbering series from both mobile and fixed line networks," TRAI said.
TRAI had last year recommended a maximum fine of Rs2.5 lakh on telemarketing companies for making unsolicited calls or SMSes to a consumer registered under the NCPR-a modified version of TRAI's 'Do Not Call Registry' list.
Subscribers have the option of choosing to be under the 'Fully Blocked' category, which is akin to the 'Do Not Call Registry'. If a user selects the 'Partially Blocked' category, they will receive SMSes in categories chosen by them.
TRAI has identified seven categories-banking and financial products, real estate, education, health, consumer goods, automobiles, communication and entertainment, tourism and leisure.
Further, the regulator has reduced the periodicity for subscriber to change their preference in NCPR to seven days from three months.
"In order to provide flexibility to a customer to change his preference, the existing restriction of three months has been reduced to seven days," TRAI said.
As of now a call from a landline number can be identified based on an STD code-the initial digits and then levels (digits following STD codes), which differs from exchange to exchange within a city.
Adding three-digit series to landline numbers will take total digits to 13 and to transmit such numbers on telecom networks, especially for caller line identification, two telecom PSUs BSNL and MTNL would require to install new equipment.
Atul will continue to be responsible for the commodity broking business at Emkay Commotrade
Emkay Global Financial Services Ltd has announced that Atul Shah, head commodities, has been elevated and has been designated as chief operating officer, Emkay Commotrade Ltd with effect from 16 August 2011.
Atul will continue to be responsible for the commodity broking business at Emkay Commotrade and shall report to Ashok Mittal, CEO, Emkay Commotrade Ltd.
A Post Graduate in PGDFM, Atul has over 15 years of work experience in various aspects of the equity business and over five years of experience in commodities. In his earlier assignments, he has worked with BSE members MM Patel and Vikram Kenia Securities Pvt Ltd. He also represents the commodity business at CII and has the distinction of releasing the Pre US market report, a first of its kind in the Industry, to guide investors during US market trading hours.
According to a Nielsen-Informate Mobile Intelligence survey, Indian smartphone users spend 72% of the time on activities such as gaming, entertainment, applications and internet related content. The remaining 28% of the time is used for voice calls and text messaging
New Delhi: An average Indian smartphone user spends about two-and-half hours a day on the handset, dedicating more time to entertainment and internet activities than to voice calls and text messages, reports PTI.
According to a Nielsen-Informate Mobile Intelligence survey, the Indian smartphone user spends 72% of the time on activities such as gaming, entertainment, applications (apps) and internet related content. The remaining 28% of the time is used for voice calls and text messaging, it added.
"Today, younger Indians for instance, prefer texting and chat over voice communications and understanding this behaviour better can define data consumption and customer acquisition strategies for operators and handset providers," Nielsen India managing director (media) Farshad Family said.
India's rapidly growing mobile user base presents marketers and businesses with an opportunity to improve the precision with which they reach out to the new Indian consumer, he added.
According to the study, while those in the age group of 15-24 years were spending about three hours a day on their smartphones, those in the over 31 year category spent about two hours.
Also, the younger smartphone users (15-25 years) spend two hours on browsing and entertainment compared to one hour in the other category (over 31 years).
Time spent on chat and SMS stood at about 31 minutes for the younger users against 15 minutes by the other category.
According to the survey, 15-25 year olds spend about half an hour on other mundane activities like contact search and alarms, while it is 45 minutes in the case of those over 31 years.
It also found that 68% of the 15-24 year olds used a chat application last month as compared to 42% for the 31 year old and above category.
Market research firm Nielsen and telecom industry tracking firm Informate Mobile Intelligence have entered into a strategic alliance to tap mobile insights and analytics for marketers and the industry.
The alliance, 'Nielsen Informate Mobile Insights', will bring together Nielsen consumer and marketing expertise with Informate's technology and domain expertise.
"On-device metering is a pioneering technology that will for the first time give advertisers, content developers and telecom players an insight into how the mobile consumer is evolving," Informate Mobile Intelligence president Kedar Sohoni said.
For instance, according to the survey, data usage for third generation (3G) users was close to 44% more than 2G users. An Android user installs an average of 19 applications in a month compared to 10 applications for a Symbian user.
"These analytics combined with Nielsen's expertise in consumer understanding will offer marketers an unmatched view of a powerful new medium," Mr Sohoni added.