Singh, alias Mukhiya ji, who faced life imprisonment in several cases of carnage he had perpetrated on the lower caste landless poor was acquitted and released from jail in April this year
Ara (Bihar): Brahmeshwar Singh, who headed the outlawed private militia of landlords, Ranivr Sena, was shot dead by unidentified assailants in Bhojpur district on Friday, triggering tension in the area where authorities have clamped day-long curfew, reports PTI.
Singh was taking a stroll when the unidentified gunmen pumped several bullets into him, killing him on the spot at Katira Mohalla under Nawada police station, 71 kms from Patna, the police said.
Singh, alias Mukhiya ji, who faced life imprisonment in several cases of carnage he had perpetrated on the lower caste landless poor, including in Laxmanpur Bathe where 61 Dalits were massacred in December, 1996, was acquitted and released from jail in April this year.
Between 1976 and 2001, Bihar had witnessed a number of massacres executed either by the feudal forces or by the self-styled champions of the landless poor.He is also suspected to have organised carnages in the districts of Jahanabad, Aurangabad and Nawada in the 1990s.
As the news of the killing spread, hundreds of Sena supporters gathered at the site of the killing and shouted anti-government slogans.
They also tried to chase away policemen including the superintendent of police, who had arrived on the spot.
A day-long curfew has been imposed in the town as a precautionary measure and police patrolling intensified as tension ran high.
"We have imposed a day-long curfew on Ara town," Sub-divisional officer Dharmesh Kumar said, adding the situation is tense but under control.
Prohibitory orders under section 144 CrPC were also enforced in the district after the killing of Singh.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has called upon the people in Bhojpur to maintain peace and harmony.
Kumar, who is in Bhagalpur in connection with his "Seva Yatra", said senior officials had been despatched to Ara to help maintain law and order..
Brahmeshwar Singh had set up his dreaded outfit in the mid-1990s when caste armies, professing to protect rights of different groups, had sprung up all over Bihar.
Apart from Laxmanpur-Bathe, the Sena also allegedly organised massacres at Mianpur and Bathani Tola.
According to the police, the Sena was allegedly involved in as many as 29 massacres between 1995 and 2000 and remained the most formidable adversary of the ultra-Left extremist groups as well as the state police.
Singh, who held a political science post-graduate degree from Patna University, was arrested in Patna in 2002, and with that a decline in the number of caste armies ensued.
He had been on bail in the last of the 22 cases against him.
In April last year, a Bihar court had sentenced 16 persons to death and awarded life imprisonment to 10 others in the Laxmanpur-Bathe case.
But Singh, who was one of the accused, escaped punishment as he was declared an absconder, though he was lodged in Ara Jail in connection with other cases.
Asked to comment on the strain in civil-military relations in the recent past, the new chief of Army said he will have a look at the problems and find a way ahead
New Delhi: New Chief of the Army, Gen Bikram Singh on Friday said the happenings of the recent past should be left behind but made it clear that no controversy will brushed under the carpet, reports PTI.
"Car is driven by seeing ahead through the windscreen and not through the rear view mirror. My issue is that whatever has happened should be left behind and drive looking from the windscreen in taking the army ahead," he told reporters after inspecting a guard of honour outside the Defence Ministry.
He was asked about Defence Minister AK Antony's advice to forget the turbulence of the recent past.
Asked to comment on the strain in civil-military relations in the recent past, the Army Chief said he will have a look at the problems and find a way ahead.
"I have had five tenures in Army Headquarters and this will be the sixth one. We have had no problems in the past at least. Let me see what the problems are and we will take it forward.
"I am certain that given the wisdom on both sides, given the commitment on both sides, I am sure that there will be no problems," he said.
Sending a firm message to his 1.3 million force, Gen Singh said he will strive to maintain its "secular and apolitical" outlook.
"Let us continue to be a secular and apolitical force and do our job the way it should be done," the 59-year-old General said a day after taking charge of the force from Gen VK Singh whose tenure was mired in controversies.
He was asked to spell out his message to the army amid reports suggesting factional feuds at senior levels, a new low in civil military relationship and corruption allegations.
On allegations of a fake encounter in northeast and recent clash between officers and jawans in Ladakh, Gen Singh said all these cases would be dealt as per the rule book and "nothing should be brushed under the carpet".
"I think there was a letter by my Chief of Staff to 3 Corps to investigate those allegations and let me tell you that there is nothing which should be brushed under the carpet. I wish to assure you this," he said.
The Army Chief was asked to comment on allegations levelled by a major in letters to Chief of Army Staff, Eastern Command and 3 Corps Headquarters that a fake encounter was carried out by an intelligence unit under the 3 Corps in March 2010 in which three civilians were killed.
Asked if he felt that Nagaland-based 3 Corps was trying to brush things under the carpet as suggested by his predecessor yesterday, he said, "I am not saying that. I did not say that.... I am not going to comment on my worthy predecessor."
Yesterday, Gen VK Singh had said he was alarmed that no investigation was carried out by the 3 Corps despite directions from the Army Headquarters into the allegations.
Asked how he was planning to deal with the incidents of clash between jawans and officers in Nyoma, alleged misconduct of jawans in UN mission in Congo and the allegations of fake encounter in Nagaland, he said, "All these cases will be dealt with as per the rulebook."
As per the revision in the existing order lever obligations in futures segment, presence on both buy and sell of the near month contract has been revised to at least 50% of the trading time
Mumbai: The National Stock Exchange (NSE) has revised liquidity enhancement scheme for derivatives of the FTSE 100 index effective from 18th June, reports PTI.
As per the revision in the existing order lever obligations in futures segment, the NSE said, presence on both buy and sell of the near month contract has been revised to at least 50% of the trading time during the two separate time periods 9.15am to 12.30pm and post 12.30pm till end of the market hours within the top 20 price points.
The maximum permissible bid-ask spread, for a minimum quantity of five contracts each at buy and sell, has been reduced to 3 ticks from 4 ticks, NSE said in a release here.
In the options segment, presence on both sides buy and sell of the near month contract has been revised to at least 50% of the trading time during two separate time periods 9.15am to 12.30pm and post 12.30 pm till end of the market hours, within the top 20 price points, it added.