Tightening the noose around QNet, the economic offences wing of Mumbai police froze two bank accounts that have Rs45 crore in balance. Meanwhile, the police custody of Manjunath Hegde, arrested in the same case has been extended
Economic offences wing (EOW) of Mumbai police, which is probing QNet has frozen two bank accounts related with the Hong Kong-based controversial multi-level marketing (MLM) operator. These bank accounts reportedly have a balance of Rs45 crore. In addition, the police custody of Manjunath Hegde, arrested in this cheating case, has been reportedly extended, says sources.
Last week, EOW registered a case against QNet, for allegedly duping thousands of investors by selling them plastic and glass products terming them miraculous objects for treating severe diseases like Cancer.
The complainant, Gurupreet Singh Anand, a computer consultant from Lokhandawala, Andheri stated that his wife was duped for Rs30,000 by some people who had introduced themselves as the independent representatives (IRs) of QNet. Anand told the police, “They (IRs) had said that one of the bio-products my wife bought could be used to treat my 12-year-old son's brain related diseases.”
The first information report (FIR) names five accused, including QNet's Hong Kong-based founder Dato Vijay Eswaran, a Malaysian by birth and an Indian by ethnicity, who is photographed hobnobbing with the Prince of Saudi Arabia, in order to enhance its credibility in the Gulf.
You may also want to read...
The Lok Sabha was adjourned till Friday following uproar over missing coal block files and protest over Telangana issue
Amidst a high drama over suspension of 11 members of Palirament (MPs), the Lok Sabha, lower house of the Indian Parliament was adjourned for the day on Thursday. This was triggered by minister for parliamentary affairs Kamal Nath when he brought a motion to suspend 11 MPs from Andhra Pradesh.
The MPs, including seven from Congress and four from Telugu Desam Party (TDP) were being suspended for protesting over the Telangana issue. However, an aggressive Opposition scuttled the move.
Hell broke loose as soon as Kamal Nath moved the motion to suspend seven Congress and four TDP members for disturbing the proceedings regularly since the beginning of the Monsoon session from 5th August. "Unfortunately, the House has not been able to function since the beginning of this session in light of the protests by these members," he said.
Nath brought the motion as TDP members were in the Well protesting division of Andhra Pradesh, repeating the scenes witnessed ever since the session began. Immediately, members of almost the entire opposition were on their feet, vociferously protesting the motion.
Kalyan Banerjee (TMC) stormed the Well as several members angrily shouted 'No, No' in disapproval of the motion.
N Sivaprasad, an agitating TDP member who was in the Well and is among those named by Nath, took out a whip while his party colleague M Venugopala Reddy tried to pull down microphones on the Speaker's podium.
Later, a Congress member who was among those named also stormed the Well along with his agitating party colleagues. He too tried to pull down the microphones. However, alert Lok Sabha staff prevented it.
In the midst of ruckus, Speaker Meira Kumar adjourned the House at around 12:15pm for nearly 30 minutes.
When the House reassembled, it was adjourned for the day as commotion continued.
In the process, consideration of the much-touted Food Security Bill, slated to be taken up today, was again scuttled. The Land Acquisition Bill, another crucial legislation was also listed on the day's agenda.
While agreeing to hear a plea filed by Dr Swamy to define 'juvenile', the apex court said the Juvenile Justice Board could pronounce the verdict in the Delhi gang rape case
The Supreme Court on Thursday allowed the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) to deliver its verdict in the 16th December Delhi gang rape-cum-murder case involving a minor.
The apex court, however, admitted a plea by Dr Subramanian Swamy seeking a fresh interpretation of the term ‘juvenile’ in the statute on the basis of the mental and intellectual maturity of minor offenders instead of the age limit of 18 years while fixing their culpability.
A bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam agreed to hear the plea but said the JJB can go ahead with pronouncing the verdict in the case.
The bench also issued notice to the Centre on Dr Swamy’s plea.
Earlier, the SC had said the JJB be informed not to pronounce its verdict involving the juvenile, who was one of six persons who had allegedly brutally raped a 23-year-old girl in a moving bus here, till it decides the PIL. The girl died in a Singapore hospital on 29 December 2012.
On 19th August, the Board, presided over by principal magistrate Geetanjali Goel, had postponed till 31st August the verdict for the fourth time since 11 July 2013 on the ground that a PIL had been filed in the Supreme Court.
The inquiry against the juvenile in the gan grape and robbery case had concluded on 5th July. While the verdict in the gang rape-cum-murder case is yet to be pronounced, he has already been held guilty of robbing a carpenter who had boarded the bus the same night. The sentence, however, is yet to be awarded.