Nation
Panel finds fault with AAP ads, orders reimbursement
A panel appointed by the Information and Broadcasting Ministry on Saturday ordered the Delhi government to "reimburse to the state exchequer" the entire amount that the Aam Aadmi Party had spent on its advertisements.
 
The committee on content regulation of government advertisements charged the AAP government in the national capital of violating Supreme Court guidelines.
 
Its order said: "The Committee directs the Government of NCT of Delhi to get the entire expenditure so incurred on ... category .. reimbursed to the state exchequer from the Aam Aadmi Party." 
 
It was also critical of the advertisements carried out by AAP outside Delhi.
 
The panel said if some Chief Ministers thought they were "special" and their policies were vital to the entire nation, then such political parties should bear the expenditure of such publicity and not the concerned government, an official here said.
 
The three-member committee, was headed by former Chief Election Commissioner B. B. Tandon, and included Ogilvy and Mather India's Piyush Pandey and journalist Rajat Sharma of India TV. 
 
The panel passed the order taking cognizance of complaints registered by Congress leader Ajay Maken.
 
It found there had been violations in categories like outstation advertisements, false and misleading ones, and on self-glorification. AAP had also targeted political opponents, media, and even mentioned parties in power by name.
 
It further added that the AAP government should not have issued advertisements on incidents occurring in other states.
 
As per the Supreme Court order of May 13, 2015, advertisements by state governments should not be "outside its boundaries", but it should be for attracting investment, business and talent to the state. 
 
The apex court had also clarified that such advertisements should be designed accordingly for the purpose, and released for specific target group, the panel said. 
 
The committee, however, rejected another complaint of the former Congress minister on advertisements celebrating anniversaries of parties in power, as the guidelines permits them.
 
It also directed that the AAP government should assess all expenditure made on advertorials -- advertisement in the form of editorial content -- mentioning AAP, along with those in which Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had tried to target the opposition.
 
The Information and Broadcasting ministry had in April constituted the content regulation committee. 
 
The panel members were chosen by a selection committee headed by Chairman of Press Council of India Justice Chandramauli Kumar Prasad (retd).
 
The apex court had in its May 2015 order laid down criteria as per which government advertisements could only carry pictures of certain dignitaries like the President, Prime Minister and the Chief Justice of India. 
 
Later the court had issued a modified order, allowing Union Ministers, Chief Ministers, Governors and State Ministers to appear in government advertisements.
 
The two-year panel could also recommend corrective actions to the government.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

CBI registers preliminary enquiry in USD 208 mn Embraer deal
The CBI on Saturday registered a preliminary enquiry (PE) against unidentified Defence Ministry officials and others to probe allegations of kickbacks in the purchase of three Embraer aircraft in a $208 million deal inked during the UPA rule in 2008, an official said.
 
Sources in the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) said the PE was registered on a reference from the Defence Ministry on allegations related to Embraer employing an agent to facilitate various contracts.
 
The CBI took the step after its two-day thorough examination of the Defence Ministry request made on Wednesday through a letter regarding alleged corruption in the multi-million-dollar deal with the Brazilian aircraft manufacturer, following reports of investigations in Brazil and the US.
 
PE is the initial step taken by the CBI to examine any case before lodging a First Information Report (FIR) against suspected persons. During a PE, the agency cannot record statements or carry out searches.
 
In 2008, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) signed a $208 million deal with Embraer for three ERJ-145 aircraft to build indigenous Airborne Early Warning and Control Systems for the Indian Air Force.
 
The DRDO has already sought an explanation within 15 days from Embraer on the issue.
 
Apart from the CBI probe, the Defence Ministry will also seek information through diplomatic channels from Brazil and the US.
 
Brazilian newspaper 'Folha de Sao Paulo' had reported last week that Embraer paid commissions to a UK-based defence agent to finalise the deal with India.
 
It is also alleged that Embraer had taken the services of middlemen to get the deal of aircraft supply not only in India but also in Saudi Arabia.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

Life returns to normal in Tamil Nadu
Life was back to normal in Tamil Nadu on Saturday following a peaceful dawn-to-dusk shutdown Friday on the Cauvery waters dispute, marred only by the death of a self-immolation victim.
 
Private schools, shops, petrol pumps and other establishments that were closed on Friday, resumed their business.
 
The Chennai city wore a washed look owing to overnight rains.
 
The general strike on Friday was called by different organisations representing farmers, traders, transporters demanding Cauvery river water and protesting against attacks on Tamils and their property in Karnataka.
 
Several buses and trucks from Tamil Nadu were burnt to ashes by the trouble mongers in Karnataka over Supreme Court's modified order on September 12 to release 12,000 cusecs of Cauvery water per day to Tamil Nadu.
 
There were several incidents in which Tamil Nadu truck drivers were humiliated and assaulted by the demonstrators in Karnataka.
 
A member of Naam Tamizhar Katchi party, had also succumbed to his burn injuries on Friday after he tried to self-immolate himself here on Thursday.
 
His body was taken to Mannargudi - around 340 km from here - to his native for final rites.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)