Citizens' Issues
One rank, one pension: Parrikar assures early implementation

The defence minister had told a delegation of ex-servicemen that he is working hard on 'one rank, one pension' scheme and the Ministry will send its views to the Finance Ministry by 17th February

 

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has assured the ex-servicemen of early implementation of the ‘one rank, one pension’ scheme, saying his Ministry has fast-tracked the work on it.
 
The assurance came when a 27-member delegation of the ex-servicemen called on Parrikar at Kota House, his residence for the time-being.
 
The ex-servicemen, seeking early implementation of the scheme, also held a rally in Delhi.
 
Defence sources said Parrikar assured the ex-servicemen of rolling it out at the earliest.
 
He said he is working hard on it and the Ministry will send its views to the Finance Ministry by 17th February.
 
Parrikar underlined that there are lot of calculations and complications involved and he is working towards solving them. “I will do my work,” he was quoted as telling the delegation.
 
Maj Gen Satbir Singh (retd), Chairman of Indian Ex-Service Movement, said the meeting with Parrikar was “positive“.
 
He said that the Minister has given assurances to the delegation on four major issues relating to the scheme, including “getting approval from the Finance Ministry before the Budget this month“.
 
One rank, one pension scheme has been a long-standing demand of the over two million ex-servicemen in the country.
 
It seeks to ensure that a uniform pension is paid to defence personnel who retire at the same rank with the same length of service, irrespective of their date of retirement.
 

User

Fadnavis sanctions BKC like business district for Thane
The new CBD, similar to Bandra-Kurla Complex in Mumbai, would be set up on a 72-acre land at Kalwa-Kharigaon near Thane
 
Close on the heels of the plush Bandra-Kurla Complex (BKC) in Mumbai, Devendra Fadnavis-led Maharashtra government has decided to set up a Central Business District (CBD) in Thane.
 
In an official release, Eknath Shinde, Guardian Minister of Thane, said that following persistent demands by elected representatives of Thane to undertake various development projects in the district on priority, Chief Minister Fadnavis was urged to sanction one more business district in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR).
 
At a joint meeting held in the Sahyadri Guest house on Friday under the leadership of Fadnavis, the decision to go in for the new business district for Thane district was taken, the release said.
 
Mumbai faces heavy population growth and basic amenities there are under extreme pressure it was stated. Similarly due to geographical conditions there is no more expansion possible in Mumbai. Hence the demand for one business district in Thane grew louder.
 
Shinde and MLAs Sanjay Kelkar and Jitendra Awhad reiterated the urgent need for a business district in the meeting which was supported by the CM, who made it clear that the state government would take positive steps towards the same.
 
The CBD is to be set up on a 72 acre land at Kalwa-Kharigaon and the place will be developed taking into confidence the local elected representatives, it was stated.
 
The setting up of this business district will decentralise the population and also help generate employment, Shinde said.
 

 

User

Delhi rape victim files lawsuit against Uber in US court

The woman is seeking an unspecified amount of damages that should be determined at a jury trial and compensation for the physical and monetary harm

 

The 25-year-old Indian woman, raped by an Uber driver in New Delhi last month, has filed a lawsuit against the taxi service company in a US court. She argued that Uber does not adequately screen its drivers and its negligence and fraud lead to her being sexually assaulted and humiliated.
 
The woman has not been named in the 36-page lawsuit filed in the California federal court against the San Francisco-based firm and has been identified only as ‘Jane Doe’.
 
She is seeking an unspecified amount of damages that should be determined at a jury trial and compensation for the “physical and monetary” harm and for harm to her professional and personal reputation the assault caused her.
 
She is also seeking a permanent injunction directing that Uber take all affirmative steps necessary to remedy the effects of the unlawful conduct alleged in the lawsuit and to “prevent repeated occurrences in the future.”
 
Following the filing of the lawsuit, the victim’s lawyer, prominent New York Attorney Douglas Wigdor said Uber’s focus on its “bottom line over the safety of its passengers has resulted in what can only be described as modern day electronic hitchhiking.”
 
”...We intend to hold Uber responsible for the significant physical and emotional harm it has caused to our client, while simultaneously seeking a court order mandating that Uber initiate certain safety precautions that they appear unwilling to do voluntarily,” he said.
 
Wigdor hoped that the lawsuit would bring about positive change that will ultimately protect people worldwide who are unaware of the “serious risks of entering into an Uber car.”
 
Jeanne Christensen, a partner at the Wigdor law firm, said Uber executives’ decisions to cut costs at the expense of customer safety forced the young woman to “pay the ultimate cost.”
 
“Her brutal rape by an Uber driver who was a known repeat sexual predator was a result of a global Uber policy that has far-reaching consequences. We intend to hold Uber accountable for violence that could easily have been avoided had even a minimal background check been conducted,” Christensen said.
 
Wigdor added that the lawsuit seeks to “slam the brakes” on Uber’s reckless worldwide expansion at the “unfortunate expense of basic customer safety.”
 
It demanded that Uber must implement necessary safety measures including opening dedicated 24/7 customer support centres in every city that it operates in, requiring all its drivers to install GPS tracking systems and tamper-proof video cameras and providing female drivers.
 
It said Uber’s “negligence, fraud and other unlawful actions” caused the woman’s sexual assault, which has “humiliated, degraded, violated and robbed” her of her dignity.
 

User

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Online Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine)