Responding to criticism of incidents where several people from Pune found their names were missing from the voter lists, the state chief electoral officer said the EC deleted 50 lakh names in August last year and also published the list online
Maharashtra chief electoral officer (CEO) Nitin Gadre on Monday said, problems arising out of deletions in electoral rolls are inevitable as there is no fool-proof measure against errors.
"The exercise of deletions was concluded in August 2013 and names of as many as 50 lakh people were deleted. Through lot of publicity, we gave time to people to correct mistakes if any in the voter rolls, he said.
"CDs were given to all political parties and the deleted list was published on the website. Details of the proposed deletions were also circulated to political parties. There was no secrecy in the deletions," Gadre added.
He was responding to criticism of incidents where several people from Pune found their names were missing from the voter lists and protests were staged outside the collector's office.
After August 2013, 40 lakh new voters were added in the summary revision. "Another 16 lakh were added after 31 January 2014 including 6.8 lakh after March nine this year. Hence, a total of 56 lakh voters have been added which includes 23 lakh first time voters," he said.
Gadre said in Pune, 6.22 lakh names were deleted out of which 1,400 complained that their names have been mistakenly deleted.
"The scrutiny of the names is in progress and the Election Commission of India will take an appropriate decision in this regard," he said.
In Mumbai, he said 6.5 lakh names have been deleted during revision of electoral rolls. "So far, we have not received official complaints from citizens that their names have been mistakenly deleted," Gadre said.
He said for the first time, a massive deletion exercise was undertaken last year. We agree it is not fool proof because about 60,000 people were in the exercise to scrutinise electoral roll of eight crore. A person might not be found in the residence during one or two visits of the officials, neighbours might not know and the person may turn up after two months," he added.
Gadre said District Collectors of Mumbai city and Mumbai suburban will address the media on Tuesday giving a chronology of the deletions and how all stakeholders have been kept in the loop throughout.
Nifty to keep itself above the day’s low; this may help it to keep trending higher
We had mentioned last week that the BSE 30-share Sensex and NSE 50-share Nifty will head higher and may keep hitting new all-time highs. On Monday both the indices opened close to Thursday’s high and remained at that level 2.15 pm after which it gained strength and edged higher where it hit the new high and closed near the day’s high.
Sensex opened at 22,645 while the Nifty opened at 6,789. Sensex hit a low of 22,637 and moved up to hit a high of 22,796 and closed at 22,765 (up 136 points or 0.60%) while the Nifty moved to the level of 6,825 after hitting a low of 6,787 and closed at 6,818 (up 38 points or 0.56%). The NSE recorded a volume of 72.11 crore shares.
The top five gainers among the other indices on the NSE are PSU Bank (2.64%), Infra (2.25%), Metal (2.21%), Auto (1.40%) and Bank Nifty (1.34%). The only four loser were IT (0.64%), Realty (0.31%), FMCG (0.30%) and Pharma (0.27%).
Of the 50 stocks on the Nifty, 28 ended in the green. The top five gainers were L T (4.14%), Sesa Sterlite (3.66%), Mahindra & Mahindra (3.63%), PNB (3.26%) and Bharti Airtel (3.18%). The top five losers were Wipro (6.97%), Hindustan Unilever (2.04%), Cairn (1.75%), DLF (1.35%) and Power Grid (1.12%).
Of the 1,544 companies on the NSE, 1,021 companies closed in the green, 451 closed in the red while 72 closed flat.
Reliance Industries came out with weak turnover growth and marginal growth in net profit for the March 2014 quarter in relation to March 2013 quarter. The stock was among the gainers in Sensex 30 stocks.
Sesa Sterlite was the top gainer in the Sensex 30 stocks after the Supreme Court on Monday allowed mining in the top iron ore exporting Goa state with an upper limit of 20 million tonne per year. The court also asked the state government to constitute an expert panel and submit a report regarding capping of output and other issues within six months.
Wipro was the top loser in the Sensex pack and also Group ‘A’ on the BSE. It has forecasted 0.3% decline to a growth of 2.02% in revenue from IT Services business at between $1.715 billion to $1.755 billion in Q1 June 2014 over Q4 March 2014.
According to news in the media JSW Steel has begun talks to purchase Welspun Maxsteel for about Rs1,000 crore. This move will enable securing continuous supply of cheaper raw material. The stock was among the top three gainers in ‘A’ group on the BSE.
Among the Asian indices KLSE Composite (0.55%) was the top gainer while Shanghai Composite (1.52%) was the top loser.
Japan's trade deficit widened to 1.45 trillion yen ($14.1 billion) in March, from 802.5 billion yen the previous month, the Ministry of Finance said today, 21 April 2014.
European indices were trading in the green and US Futures were trading higher.
Workers on rolls of all mining firms will be paid 50% of the wage during the period for which they were out of work due to the stay on mining activity by the apex court
The Supreme Court on Monday while setting an annual cap of 20 million tonnes (mt) per annum allowed Goa to extract iron ore from the state. Iron ore mining was banned in Goa by the apex court for nearly one-and-a-half years.
A Bench comprising justices AK Patnaik, SS Nijjar and FMI Kalifulla, however, said the expert panel will give final a recommendation on annual cap on excavation of iron ore within six months.
It said there cannot be a deemed renewal of lease after 2007 of the existing lease deeds emanating from 1962 onwards.
It also said there will be no grant of lease for mining around one km of national parks and wild life sanctuaries.
The court directed the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) to identify eco-sensitive areas around national parks within six months.
It said the Goa government will formulate a scheme within six months for utilising the funds generated by e-auction.
The Bench said that the workers on rolls of all mining firms will be paid 50% of the wage during the period for which they were out of work because of the apex court stay on the mining activity.
Further, within six months, the expert panel will recommend how the extracted dumps are to be utilised, it said.
On 27th March, the Bench had reserved its order on putting the annual cap on volume of iron ore to be extracted in Goa.
The Bench had said it cannot go into the policy matter and will only address the regulatory aspect involved in it.
The expert panel had recommended to Goa government to form a mining corporation or a public sector company in view of “illegalities” by private miners.