Citizens' Issues
NASSCOM calls for police enquiry into the illegal sale of medical records
 
NASSCOM has called for a speedy police enquiry into the case of alleged illegal sale of private medical records through IT companies in India. The case was busted in a sting operation by a British television news channel. “It is vital that medical records and other sensitive data are kept secure and confidential.  There can be absolutely no compromise on this point. The Tonight programme has highlighted a case in which it seems that some data from the London Clinic has fallen into criminal hands.  We are calling for a speedy police inquiry and for robust sanctions to be taken against any criminal,” said a statement released by NASSCOM on the issue.
 
“Given the scale of movement of data in the globalised world, incidents such as what has happened are stray incidents that are not reflective of the industry as a whole. Security is and will remain our number one priority. India has established an excellent international reputation and we will not allow this to be compromised at any cost,” the statement further said.
 
As per the findings of the sting operation, medical records sent for computerisation to Indian IT companies were sold illegally in the black market. The files were sold by two men who claimed to have gained access to the information from IT companies. Thousands of medical files from top private hospitals in Britain are outsourced for computerisation to India every year.
 
A number of these files, which contain personal details of the patient’s health, name age and address are for sale in the black market, for prices as low as $4 each. The two men caught on camera involved in the black marketing, claim to have access to thousand more such files.
 
The documentary says there is a market for the records because unscrupulous companies want to sell insurance and prescription drugs to vulnerable patients. The news presenters for that particular sting operation too had approached the two salesmen, as marketing executives for health products
 
 

User

Who played spoilsport in the Bharti-MTN deal?
The much-hyped $23-billion deal between Bharti Airtel Ltd and Mobile Telephone Networks SA (MTN) deal was called off on Wednesday after nearly four month-long intense discussions.
 
MTN’s own compulsions and some last minute change of guidelines by the Securities and Exchange Board of India(SEBI) may have had a role to play in the deal being called off.
 
Last month, the market regulator had announced new guidelines which made it mandatory for entities acquiring global depository receipts or American depository receipts (GDRs/ADRs) with voting rights in an Indian company to make an open offer to minority shareholders if their shareholding crosses the threshold of 15%.
 
This new guidelines from SEBI materially impacted the original proposal between Bharti Airtel and MTN since the South African telecom giant would have to spend more for buying additional stake in Bharti Airtel.
 
Paradoxically, Bharti Airtel had a different version to this. According to the company, "the merger deal was called off after (the) South African government rejected the proposed structure."
 
Under the proposed deal, Bharti Airtel was to acquire about 36% of the currently issued share capital of MTN from MTN shareholders for a consideration of 86 rand in cash and 0.5 newly issued Bharti shares in the form of GDR for every MTN share acquired which, in combination with MTN shares issued in part settlement of MTN's acquisition of about a 25% post-transaction economic interest in Bharti, would take Bharti's stake to 49% of the enlarged capital of MTN.
 
The South African (SA) government owns about 21% in MTN through Public Investment Corp and wanted to maintain MTN's "South African character", which means it had reservations about the ownership and management control by a non-SA country.
 
SA Treasury said, "When companies structure their relationships outside the current exchange control regulatory framework for such transactions, they require the approval of the Minister of Finance. This was the case with the proposed MTN-Bharti merger, which required certain exchange control and other approvals." 
 
This is the second time in just over a year when Sunil Mittal-led Bharti Airtel has been forced to abandon talks for amalgamation of the two organisations in a complex deal that also required Indian government's clearance for dual listing.
 
"The structure needed an approval from the government of South Africa, which has expressed its inability to accept it in the current form," Bharti Airtel said in a release.
 
"Whether a dead deal is good for Bharti Airtel or not, only time will tell. It could zero in on some other inorganic growth opportunity in some other corner of the world or it might altogether drop the idea of mergers & acquisitions. Right now it’s wait and watch. One also needs to see whether the Indian government is willing to amend its rules and laws to enable an increasingly ambitious India Inc to realise its global dream," said Indiainfoline in a note.
 
Another brokerage KRChoksey Shares and Securities Pvt Ltd, said, "With the deal getting called off, we believe that Bharti will catch up with the market and expect 10%-15% potential upside in near term. We expect Bharti’s management to set its focus on small and mid-size telecom players in emerging markets and expansion of the 3G network within India." 
 
Wiser after the failed courtship, the two companies are most likely to redouble their efforts to scout for a partner once again after a breather.
-Yogesh Sapkale with Vidyut Kumar Ta [email protected]
 

User

A Space For Women's Rights

Dr Nita Mukherjee interacts with women from Vadodara redefining their space and their...

Premium Content
Monthly Digital Access

Subscribe

Already A Subscriber?
Login
Yearly Digital+Print Access

Subscribe

Moneylife Magazine Subscriber or MSSN member?
Login

Yearly Subscriber Login

Enter the mail id that you want to use & click on Go. We will send you a link to your email for verficiation

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)