According to Time magazine, Modi, the controversial Hindu nationalist and chief minister of Gujarat is the most likely candidate to unseat India’s ruling Congress party in the world’s largest democracy
Narendra Modi, the chief minister of Gujarat as well as Prime Ministerial candidate of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is among the Time magazine’s shortlisted candidates for its ‘Person of the Year’ title. Modi has emerged as an early favourite among the readers in an online poll.
Time has shortlisted 42 global leaders, entrepreneurs and celebrities for its ‘Person of the Year 2013’ and will announce the winner next month.
Other candidates in fray are Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, US President Barack Obama, Pakistani teenage education activist Malala Yousafzai, Amazon chief executive (CEO) Jeff Bezos, NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden and even the new heir to the British throne Prince George.
On Modi, Time said “the controversial Hindu nationalist and chief minister of the Indian state of Gujarat is the most likely candidate to unseat India’s ruling Congress party in the world’s largest democracy.”
Modi is the only Indian in the shortlist.
While Time’s editors will choose the winner, it has asked readers to cast their votes for the person they think “most influenced the news this year for better or worse”.
So far Modi has got over 2,650 votes and with about 25%, is leading the online readers’ poll. Modi is way ahead with Snowden, who garnered the second highest number of votes at about 7% as on 20th November.
Obama, who has twice been named ‘Person of the Year’, is in the shortlist with the US magazine saying the President’s “second term started with a slew of self-inflicted wounds and unfulfilled promise(s), from an IRS scandal and stalled immigration reform to the bungled Obamacare launch”.
Syrian President Bashar Assad is also among the contenders.
Among the other candidates are New Jersey governor Chris Christie, Twitter CEO Dick Costolo, JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon, Pope Francis, Oscar winner Angelina Jolie.
International Monetary Fund head Christine Lagarde, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer, Germany’s re-elected Chancellor Angela Merkel, Russian President Vladimir Putin are other contenders.
Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, Chinese President Xi Jinping are also among those shortlisted.
Chechen brothers Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the suspects in the Boston Marathon terror bombings, are in the shortlist too.
The Talwar couple was also sentenced for five years for destruction of evidence and Rajesh for another one year for filing wrong FIR with police
A Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court, on Tuesday, sentenced dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar to life term. The couple was convicted of killing their daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj five-and-a-half years ago.
Additional Session Judge Shyam Lal, who rejected the CBI plea for maximum punishment after the premier probe agency submitted that the case fell in the "rarest of rare" category, spared 49-year-old Rajesh and Nupur (48) from death penalty.
Arguing before the court on quantum of punishment in the sensational double murder that had gripped the nation as one of the most puzzling crimes ever, CBI counsel RK Saini argued that the killing was a cold-blooded murder and fell in the "rarest of rare" category.
Defence counsel Tanvir Mir countered CBI's argument and said the evidence against his clients were weak and sought leniency for Talwars.
The arguments lasted just five minutes before the judge adjourned proceedings and pronounced he quantum of sentence at 4.30pm. The Talwar couple remained composed.
The Talwar couple were also sentenced for five years for destruction of evidence and Rajesh for another one year for filing wrong FIR with police. All the sentences pronounced by the judge, who relied heavily on the circumstantial evidence provided by the CBI, will run concurrently.
The dentist couple were on Monday convicted in the murder of their 14-year-old daughter Aarushi and 45-year-old Hemraj in a case that was awash with allegations of sleaze and sex, police-goof-ups, CBI flip-flops and media bias. The judge also made a reference to freaks in the history of mankind who kill their own progeny.
The couple was convicted under IPC sections 302(murder), 201(destruction of evidence) and 34(common intention to commit the crime). Rajesh was also convicted separately for "furnishing false information to the police regarding the murder of his daughter by Hemraj(Section 203).
According to the CBI, Rajesh Talwar killed Aarushi and Hemraj with the help from Nupur at their Noida home on the night of 15-16 May 2008, in a fit of rage after finding them in an objectionable position.
Sahara group in a public notice published in various newspapers said that it would submit to SEBI title deeds relating to other properties aggregating Rs20,000 crore, instead of debating any further on the issue
Subrata Roy-led Sahara group on Tuesday said it will submit new title deeds for properties worth Rs20,000 crore to the market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI). Earlier, SEBI has termed the assets offered by Sahara as highly over-valued.
The fresh proposal follows after the Supreme Court last week restrained Sahara group from selling any properties and restrained Subrata Roy and three other top executives from leaving the country without the court’s permission. The court will hear the matter next on 11th December.
While disagreeing with SEBI’s view that the properties offered earlier as security for Rs20,000 crore were overvalued, Sahara group said in a public notice published in various newspapers that it would “submit title deeds relating to other properties of Sahara aggregating Rs20,000 crore, instead of debating any further on the issue raised.”
It said it “has been making sincere efforts over the last few months to comply with the order of Supreme Court pertaining to the ongoing litigation with SEBI” and assured its depositors, customers and business associates that it will successfully “overcome these challenges“.
The Supreme Court has asked Sahara group to hand over title deeds of unencumbered properties worth Rs20,000 crore to SEBI, which was last year tasked with the job of refunding over Rs24,000 crore to investors from whom two Sahara firms had raised money through issue of certain debentures.
The Group has submitted Rs5,120 crore so far to SEBI, while earlier it has claimed to have already refunded more than Rs20,000 crore directly to the investors concerned.
The SEBI had informed the apex court on 20th November that the group had overvalued the worth of two properties offered as security earlier this month and accused the group of not handing over all original title deeds for assets worth Rs20,000 crore.