Police said the current death toll was provisional, while the Kenyan Red Cross said 63 people were still listed as missing
Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta has announced that a four-day siege by Islamist gunmen of a Nairobi shopping mall was over, with loss of 61 civilians and six members of the security forces.
“We have ashamed and defeated our attackers, that part of our task is completed,” a sombre Kenyatta, who himself lost family members in the assault, said in a televised address to the nation yesterday.
He said “three floors of the mall collapsed, trapping several bodies within the rubble including those of terrorists.”
Police said the current death toll was provisional, while the Kenyan Red Cross said 63 people were still listed as missing.
“Our losses are immense,” the president said, announcing three days of national mourning. "We have been badly hurt, but we have been brave, united and strong. Kenya has stared down evil and triumphed. We have defeated our enemies and showed the whole world what we can accomplish,” he said.
Five attackers had been killed and 11 suspects were in custody. Somalia’s Al Qaeda-linked Shebab rebels said the group carried out the attack in retaliation for Kenya’s two-year battle against the extremists’ bases in the country.
“It’s an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth,” the group said on Twitter late on Tuesday night.
In one of the worst attacks in Kenya’s history, the militants marched into the four-storey, part Israeli-owned Westgate Mall at midday on Saturday, spraying shoppers with automatic weapons fire and tossing grenades.
Kenyatta said that “forensic investigations are under way to establish the nationalities of all those involved” amid reports Americans and a British woman were among the insurgents.
There has been growing media speculation at the possible role of wanted British extremist Samantha Lewthwaite, daughter of a British soldier and widow of suicide bomber Germaine Lindsay, who blew himself up on a London Underground train on 7 July 2005, killing 26 people.
The president said intelligence reports had suggested that a British woman and two or three American citizens “may have been involved in the attack”, but that could not yet be confirmed.
Lewthwaite is wanted in Kenya, and is accused of links to the Shebab – although the rebels later “categorically” denied the involvement of any woman in the attack, insisting they had “an adequate number of young men who are fully committed”.
Shebab spokesman Ali Mohamud Rage also threatened further “black days” if Kenya did not bring troops home, warning the siege was just “a taste of what we will do”.
Bajaj Auto and Bajaj Electricals sought to prevent John Abraham from using the title ‘Hamara Bajaj’ for an upcoming Hindi movie, as it was a trademark infringement, in which the Bombay High Court ruled in the companies’ favour
The Bombay High Court has passed its order granting permanent injunction against the bollywood company, JA Entertainment Private Limited, from using the mark “Hamara Bajaj” as the movie title or in any other manner and from using the mark “Bajaj” in the proposed film.
Earlier, an entertainment movie with a title “Hamara Bajaj” was planned to be released and it is being produced by actor John Abraham, starred by Ayushmann Khurrana (Vicky Donor, Nautanki Saala!) and is to be directed by Shoojit Sircar (of Vicky Donor fame). However, the movie title was identical to the iconic slogan and trademark name used by Bajaj Auto. Aggrieved by the infringement of its intellectual property rights vested in the marks “Hamara Bajaj” and “Bajaj”, Bajaj Auto Limited along with Bajaj Electricals moved the Bombay High Court on 25 March 2013. It sought to restrain JA Entertainment from using it.
The matter was heard at length by the Court, presided by Judge SJ Kathawalla J. Based on the hearings between the Counsels, the Court issued a Decree in which a permanent injunction was imposed upon JA Entertainment from using the trademark. Vide Suit no. 491 of 2013 of the Bombay High Court, it said, “In view of the Defendants' submitting to a Decree as above, the Plaintiffs are not pressing for any costs or damages. The Suit is accordingly disposed of. Notice of Motion also stands disposed of.”
Intraday rallies led to more selling, as suggested yesterday. A decline may be on the cards, either right away or after a short rally
On almost the same volume as Monday on the National Stock Exchange (NSE), the Nifty tried moving higher and closed flat today. The NSE recorded a volume of 53.85 crore shares. The Sensex opened at 19,820 while the Nifty opened at 5,855. The indices shot up immediately thereafter hit their day’s high in the morning session. The Sensex moved up from 19,783 to 20,050 during the day and closed at 19,920 (up 19 points or 0.10%). The Nifty moved up from 5,855 to 5,938 during the day and closed at 5,892 (up 3 points or 0.05%).
The top five gainers among the other indices on the NSE were Auto (1.17%); Media (1.09%); Infra (0.60%); Nifty Midcap 50 (0.53%) and Consumption (0.49%) while the top five losers were Metal (1.13%); PSU Bank (0.78%); IT (0.39%); Bank Nifty (0.35%) and Commodities (0.30%).
Of the 50 stocks on the Nifty, 23 ended in the green. The top five gainers were Bajaj Auto (2.80%); Tata Power (2.72%); NTPC (2.03%); LT (1.97%) and Cipla (1.68%). The top five losers were Hindalco (3.65%); BPCL (2.60%); Coal India (2.48%); Jindal Steel (2.04%) and ACC (1.90%).
The government has kept the borrowing target for the fiscal year through March 2014 unchanged at Rs5.79 lakh crore ($92.49 billion), economic affairs secretary Arvind Mayaram said on Monday after a meeting between government and central bank officials to finalize the borrowing plan for the second half of the fiscal year. The government will raise Rs3.44 lakh crore by the end of September. That will be Rs5,000-crore short of the target it had initially set for the first half of the fiscal year, Mayaram said.
Mayaram said that the government would cut spending if revenue falls short of the budget projections, but won't breach the full-year fiscal-deficit target—4.8% of gross domestic product for this year. The gap was 4.9% last fiscal year.
Ratings agency Fitch downgraded some ratings for Indian Bank, Punjab National Bank and Bank of Baroda on expectations of a further deterioration in asset quality and a sharp deceleration on economic growth.
US indices fell on Monday after Fed Bank of New York President William Dudley suggested the pace of QE could be reduced later this year. Addressing business leaders in New York Monday morning, Fed Bank of Atlanta President Dennis Lockhart said the economy is losing some steam.
Except for NZSE 50 (up 0.20%) and Taiwan Weighted (up 0.08%) all the other indices closed in the negative. Jakarta Composite, top loser, was down 2.25%.
European indices were trading in the positive. US Futures were trading marginally lower.
German business confidence rose for a fifth straight month in September 2013. The Ifo business-climate index rose to 107.7 from a revised figure of 107.6 in August. "Although companies assessed their current business situation slightly less favorably, their business expectations were once again more optimistic. The German economy made a confident start to the autumn," Kai Carstensen, director at Ifo, said in the release.