Citizens' Issues
Medical aid at stations: HC gives Railways the last chance

The Bombay HC pulled up the Railway Board and warned that it could face contempt proceedings if there was any more delay in complying with its directives regarding medical care at all suburban stations in Mumbai

 

A division bench of the Bombay High Court has warned the Railways initiating contempt proceedings for not followings its directions. However, as a last chance, the HC asked the Railway Board to identify official responsible for complying court orders and ask him to submit an affidavit about his intention to set up emergency medical rooms (EMR) at stations on the Mumbai Suburban rail network.

 

Last Monday, the 3rd of November, the Bombay HC had slammed the Railways and called it 'insensitive' in its approach towards setting up EMRs at all stations in Mumbai.

 

"Not only have you taken a stand contrary to earlier court orders, you have shown complete lack of sensitivity too,” the Court had said.

 

The Court had passed its order in March 2013, saying that EMRs were necessary and should be set up immediately. The Court had asked the Railways to inform about plan to set up EMRs, by 10th November. The Railways had earlier said that setting up a medical centre was 'not feasible'.

 

Arguing for the Railways, its counsel had said that the Railways had stationed ambulances outside stations to be able to ferry accident victims to hospitals. The Court had responded by asking if the ambulance would be of any use in rush hours. This Monday, when the Court heard the matter again, it pointed out that the data on ambulances as provided by the Railways was not in line with data of the State Government, that in fact only 38 ambulances were in operation, contrary to the Railways claim of 47.

 

Another blow to the Railways was the appointment of a court official to perform surprise checks in order to confirm whether these ambulances were indeed in use and with regard to first aid boxes at stations.

 

The Court was hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) from Sameer Zaveri and the next hearing in the case will be on 12th December.

 

This is not the first time that the Bombay HC has heard a Contempt case against the Railways. In 2004 the Bombay HC had passed an order directing the Western and Central Railways to take preventive steps for reducing the number of accidents on local trains. The order had asked the Railways to reduce the gaps between the station and the footboard, construction of boundary walls, fences and the provision of ambulances and medical care for accident victims. In January 2012, the HC then issued a show-cause notice under Contempt of Court rules to the General Managers of Central and Western Railways for non-compliance of the 2004 orders.

User

COMMENTS

Bapoo Malcolm

3 years ago

Sameer needs to be put on the highest pedestal. May God give strength to his legs.

Another facet should be the contact of the nearest doctors in the area of the railway station; and instructions to respond to any emergency. The Golden Hour starts NOW, should be the motto.

Then again, more imperative is the prevention than the cure. The public should be bombarded with educative warnings. And the warnings need to be changed regularly. People get tired of listening to the same drone year after year.

Maybe ad agencies could help.

Bapoo M. Malcolm, almost a victim in December 2012 at Dadar.

26/11 Mumbai Attack: Victims seek $688 million from Pakistan-based accused

Nine American and Israeli victims have filed a request for “trial by jury”, “default judgement” and a “$688 million compensation” before the Eastern District Court of New York against Pakistan-based accused of 26/11 Mumbai attack

 

Nine American and Israeli victims of the 2008 Mumbai attacks have demanded a compensation of $688 million from Pakistan-based perpetrators of the terror assault, including Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed.

 

In a re-submission before a New York court on 30 and 31st October, the nine victims of the Mumbai attacks — from the US and Israel — argued for a “trial by jury” and “default judgement” against Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD)/ Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).

 

They also argued for a “trial by jury” and “default judgement” against JuD chief Hafiz Saeed, LeT commander Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, Sajid Majid, Azam Cheema and two other Pakistani nationals Major Iqbal and Major Sameer Ali.

 

According to their attorney, the request for “trial by jury”, “default judgement” and a “$688 million compensation” was filed before the Eastern District Court of New York after 1 November 2013, court summons were duly served to JuD/LeT and other defendants in Pakistan to which they did not respond.

 

The compensation has been sought by the family members of seven persons who were brutally killed by LeT terrorists and two others who were injured.

 

The 26/11 American and Israeli victims had first filed their case on 19 November 2010.

 

They had also sought action against ISI and its chief, but the court ruled that out after the US State Department told the court that they enjoyed diplomatic immunity as they were a part of a foreign government.

 

According to court papers, LeT, its leaders and other defendants were served with court summons and complaints.

 

But they have failed to answer or otherwise defend against this action, alleged the attorney on behalf of the 26/11 victims including Rabbi Shimon Rosenberg, father of Rifka Holtzberg who was murdered alongside her husband Rabbi Gabriel Holtzberg during the attack on the Chabad House in Mumbai.

 

Among others include Rabbi Nachman Holtzberg, father of Rabbi Gavriel Holtzberg who was killed in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.

 

Other plaintiffs are Moses Shvarzblat and Maribeth Jeswani on behalf of family members killed in the attacks.

 

Andreina Varagona, who survived after getting shot in her right arm and leg in the attack, sued on her own behalf.

 

As many as 166 people died and more than 300 were injured when 10 LeT terrorists carried out the attack on multiple locations in Mumbai, including the Oberoi Trident Hotel, the Taj Mahal Hotel, the Leopold Cafe, the Cama and Albless Hospital, the Metro Cinema, the CST Railway Station and the Chabad House.

 

In June, the US added LeT affiliates, including the JuD, to its list of designated terror organisations.

User

COMMENTS

Sam Paul

3 years ago

They should definitely seek compensation because its all because of Pakistani terrorist.
http://www.uthestory.com/news/internatio...

'Singles Day’ shoppers spend $2 billion in first hour on Alibaba

Alibaba said within the first hour and 12 seconds, more than $2 billion of deals were settled on both its domestic and international retail marketplaces

 

Alibaba said a record $2 billion of goods were sold in the first hour of its Singles Day shopping bonanza in China Tuesday, maintaining the day’s dominance as the world’s biggest retail event as it went global for the first time.

 

The e-commerce giant said that amount was more than a third of the $5.8 billion full-day sales recorded on the same day last year and analysts say this year will blow that out of the water.

 

Alibaba has been pushing 11th November as Singles Day — so named for the number of ones in the date — since 2009 as it looks to tap an expanding army of Internet shoppers in China, which has the world’s biggest online population.

 

Singles Day already surpassed major shopping festivals in the US in terms of transaction value last year, toppling the combined online sales of $3.7 billion recorded on Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday and Cyber Monday, according to an estimate by Internet analytics firm comScore.

 

The day was originally marketed as an “anti-Valentine’s Day” in China featuring hefty discounts to lure the country’s singletons and price-sensitive buyers.

 

It has been expanded globally this year to include overseas merchants and customers.

 

Within the first hour and 12 seconds, more than $2 billion of deals were settled on both domestic and international retail marketplaces, Alibaba said in a statement, adding that 45.7% of the transactions were made via mobile devices.

 

Headquartered in the eastern city of Hangzhou, Alibaba debuted its shares in New York two months ago with a record-breaking $25 billion initial public offering.

 

The giant operates China’s most popular online shopping platform, Taobao, which is estimated to hold more than 90% of the online market for consumer-to-consumer transactions.

 

The company does not sell products directly but acts as an electronic middleman. It also owns other marketplaces, including business-to-consumer platform Tmall.

 

More than 27,000 brands and merchants are participating in this year’s Singles Day, while consumers in more than 220 countries and regions will be able to join the 24-hour spending spree, the statement said.

User

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)