Its six days since the landslide and the GSI has issued an advice to rescue teams and district officials to evacuate remaining houses near the Malin site due to chances of further sliding
With the recovery of three more bodies from under the massive landslide debris at Malin village near Pune, the death toll in the calamity has climbed to 109. The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) operation to locate possible survivors entered the sixth day on Monday amid intermittent showers.
The Geological Survey of India (GSI) has issued an advice to the rescue team and district officials to evacuate remaining houses near the landslide site.
“If it continues to rain for another 3-4 days, there is a possibility of further sliding in the adjacent portions of the landslide that has already taken place,” a statement issued by the GSI said.
The 109 dead included 44 men, 49 women and 16 children, district administration officials said.
Carcasses of 22 animals too have been extricated from the huge mound of mud and stones that buried about 44 houses after the tragedy struck on July 30, they said.
Intermittent showers continued to lash the region, hampering movement of heavy machinery deployed by NDRF on the marshy land, developed at the site due to rain and mud.
About 50 more persons are still believed to be trapped under the rubble but there is dim hope of finding any survivors. Eight injured persons had earlier been pulled out to safety, officials said.
Unable to come to terms with the reality, some close relatives of the victims continued to stand and wait endlessly under trees, straining their eyes in anticipation of a miracle that would bring back alive their loved ones.
A team of GSI led by its Director General Harbans Singh had yesterday attributed the catastrophe to “natural causes” after visiting and inspecting the site, negating the theory that levelling of soil on hill tops in some areas of the region for paddy cultivation could have been a contributory factor in the disaster.
Following strong protests from AIADMK members, external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj told the Rajya Sabha the government would also summon the Sri Lankan High Commissioner
India on Monday strongly condemned the "derogatory" article against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa appeared on the Sri Lankan Defence Ministry website, as the controversy rocked Parliament with an agitated AIADMK demanding a resolution to denounce it.
"The issue raised by (AIADMK leader) V Maitreyan is indeed very serious. India strongly condemns it. We will definitely summon the High Commissioner of that country and tell him about it," External Affairs Sushma Swaraj said in Rajya Sabha after AIADMK members trooped into the Well demanding a statement from the government.
Both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha witnessed two adjournments each as AIADMK members disrupted the proceedings and stormed the Well seeking a statement from the government and raising slogans denouncing the Sri Lankan President.
In the Lower House, Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu said, "While matters concerning diplomatic relations are dealt with delicately, this is totally unacceptable and condemnable. There is no hesitation in condemning it."
He also said he would convey the "strong feelings" of the members to Swaraj.
But the AIADMK members were not satisfied with the reply and stormed the Well raising slogans like 'Rajapakse down, down' and 'we want justice'.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour in Rajya Sabha, Maitreyan said the article appearing in the Sri Lankan Defence Ministry website was "derogatory" to Jayalalithaa.
He asked whether the government would summon the Sri Lankan High Commissioner as this was "an insult" to not only the Tamil Nadu government but also the Union Government.
AIADMK leader in Lok Sabha M Thambidurai demanded that the House adopt a "strong and unanimous resolution condemning Sri Lanka" so that such incident do not recur.
Ansal Properties and Infrastructure Ltd has been asked by a consumer forum to pay Rs25 lakh to Gurgaon resident Vijay Misra for harassing him by keeping him in the dark about matters related to a flat and demanding illegal considerations from him. The New Delhi Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum, presided by CK Chaturvedi, asked the builder to pay Mr Misra Rs25 lakh, to issue him a fresh statement of dues and handover a fresh possession letter of the flat as per old agreed rates.
“We have considered the rival submissions and find it a text book case of harassment of innocent consumers. Opposite Party (builder) deliberately kept the complainant in dark by writing letters at wrong address and then demanded illegal considerations of holding things to restoration charges and failed to explain additional area charges for 113sq ft.
We hold all the action of the Opposite Party illegal, and nothing is payable on account of restoration charges plus holding charges or cancellation charges. The Opposite Party has acted in unfair way,” said the Forum members
SR Chaudhary and Ritu Garodia.
The Forum noted that the builder, in its reply, raised irrelevant issues of dispute between the parties and loan, etc, not paid to a bank.