Citizens' Issues
Maharashtra CM, ministers embark on 'drought tours'
Mumbai : In a bid to pre-empt an opposition onslaught in the coming Maharashtra assembly budget session, the chief minister and his ministers embarked on a daylong tour of some of the worst drought-hit regions, official sources said on Thursday.
 
Many of the 27 Bharatiya Janata Party-Shiv Sena ministers, including cabinet and ministers of state hailing from both the parties, apart from Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, have either left or were slated to leave for their respective destinations on Thursday to cover 29 sub-districts of Beed, Latur and Osmanabad among others.
 
The ministers will take stock of the grim water shortages that has severely hit the people in these areas of the dry Marathwada region and submit their detailed reports to Fadnavis.
 
They were expected to gather in Latur on Friday evening and Fadnavis will make a detailed review after considering the inputs and reports submitted to him.
 
The ministers will study the impact of shortage of water for drinking, irrigation or industrial purposes in rural and urban areas, cattle camps and availability of fodder for animals, damage to crops in some areas lashed by heavy rain and hailstorms earlier this week, disbursal of aid and relief materials, and response of the local administration to tackle the situation.
 
The ministerial tour comes amid a high profile five-day tour undertaken by Congress' leader of opposition in the assembly, Radhakrishna Vikhe-Patil, who has attracted large crowds in several areas of drought-hit regions since Tuesday.
 
Pointing out that there were 244 farmland suicides in January alone, Vikhe-Patil demanded a complete loan waiver and other relief measures for the farmers, in his public meetings.
 
Following the ministerial tours, the BJP is likely to depute all its legislators and parliamentarians, besides state party office-bearers, to undertake similar tours and monitor relief works to help tide over the crisis till the next monsoon sets in after around 100 days.
 
The budget session of the Maharashtra assembly will begin in Mumbai on March 9.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

COAI to appeal to Supreme Court against call drop judgement
New Delhi : The Cellular Operators' Association of India (COAI) on Thursday decided to file an special leave petition (SLP) in the Supreme Court challenging the regulation issued by the telecom regulator on call drop penalty on October 16, 2015 and against the ruling of the Delhi High Court in the matter.
 
GSM body COAI said that it recognises the inconvenience to customers due to call drops and is committed making the necessary investment and improvements to its networks, including working with the government to obtain required cell sites on government land and buildings.
 
The Delhi High Court on Feb 29 upheld the order of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) making it mandatory for cellular operators to compensate subscribers for call drops.
 
A division bench of Chief Justice G. Rohini and Justice Jayant Nath ordered that telecom operators would have to compensate subscribers for first three call drops.
 
The court dismissed the plea of telecom operators for a stay on TRAI's compensation policy, announced on October 16, 2015, for call drops under which a rupee will be credited to the mobile users' account for every call drop (restricted to three per day) starting January 1, 2016.
 
"COAI is requesting the Honorable Supreme Court to consider its prayer that the TRAI Regulation on Call Drops is ultra vires the TRAI Act in that the act does not give TRAI adjudicatory powers and hence TRAI cannot grant compensation," said COAI in a statement.
 
"Further, the TRAI regulation is also ultra vires the Telegraph Act of 1885 under which mobile companies are licensed wherein 100 percent coverage of the licensed geography is not required. Hence call drops emanating from these areas should not be subject to compensation. Finally COAI represents that it is impossible to identify all the reasons for call drops and hence implementation of TRAI order is not feasible," it added.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

CBI quizzes senior police officer in Odisha chit fund scam
Bhubaneswar : The CBI has interrogated a senior police officer of Odisha in connection with Seashore chit fund scam in which lakhs of investors were allegedly duped of money totalling about Rs.1,500 crore, said an official of the probe agency on Thursday.
 
Inspector General (central range) R.P. Koche was quizzed on Wednesday by the Central Bureau of Inestigation (CBI) about his alleged connections with the Seashore group of companies, a CBI official said.
 
Koche admitted he faced the CBI interrogation. 
 
"This is an investigative process and I cannot divulge details of it," he told reporters on Thursday.
 
The CBI sources said Koche was quizzed at a secret location regarding a diary seized from arrested fixer Shubhankar Naik, who was allegedly acting as a link between bureaucrats, political leaders, police officials and Seashore officials.
 
Deputy Inspector General of Police (north-central range) Rajesh Kumar was also interrogated by the CBI in connection with the Seashore chit fund scam.
 
Seashore chief Prasant Das is in jail for duping thousands of depositors in the state. 
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

COMMENTS

Agyat Vyakti

12 months ago

Off the topic. This is just for awareness.. Qnet and MLM are using friends and relatives to dupe you... You may like to read Qnet modus operandi with screen shots and facts and how to avoid them here ... Please share for public interest.. Qnet Scam in delhi by Ashwin Baluja and Prithvi Raj Grover http://qnetindiascam.blogspot.in/

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)