Ram Jethmalani’s stake in Tehelka is double that of Kapil Sibal
While Kapil Sibal has denied any ownership of Tehelka, documents show he owns 80 shares of the beleaguered media company. Interestingly, BJP leader Ram Jethmalani has 165 shares in Tehelka
Union Law and Justice Minister Kapil Sibal again denied owning a single share in the Tehelka magazine. However, according to the directors’ report of Anant Media Pvt Ltd, which owns the magazine, as of 29 September 2012, Sibal owns 80 shares or 0.04% stake in the company.
Interestingly, as the Tejpal issue has become a matter of slanging match between Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) and Congress with BJP indirectly accusing Sibal of shielding Tehelka editor Tarun Tejpal, former BJP leader Ram Jethmalani's stake in Tehelka is double that of Sibal. Jethmalani owns 165 shares or 0.08% stake in Anant Media, the director's report states.
As per the director's report, as of 29 September 2012, Royal Building and Infrastructure Pvt Ltd, owned by Trinamool Congress' member of Parliament (MP) Kanwar Deep (KD) Singh is the majority shareholder in Anant Media with 1.30 lakh shares or 65.75% stake. Tejpal is the second biggest stakeholder with 38,210 shares or 19.25% stake. He is followed by Weldon Polymers Pvt Ltd at 5.87%. Priyanka Gill and Neena Tejpal Sharma owns 2.14% and 1.55% stake, respectively in Anant Media. Shoma Chaudhary, the managing editor of Tehelka owns 1000 shares or 0.5% stake in the company.
Earlier today, Sushma Swaraj, the leader of Opposition, tweeted saying, "Union Cabinet Minister who is the founder and patron of Tehelka is shielding Tarun Tejpal."
Tejpal is accused of sexually assaulting a younger colleague at a Goa hotel where the magazine had organised an event earlier this month.
In his petition to the Delhi High Court for anticipatory bail, Tejpal alleged that the investigation against him is the result of "the wrath of the BJP" which is avenging earlier Tehelka exposes on some of its top leaders.
More in Moneylife
Medha Patkar quits AAP +95 views
TODAY'S TOP STORIES
Moneylife Foundation: Maharashtra CM Fadnavis says financial literacy empowers citizens
Grab a Discount Coupon here
- Did you know LPG consumers get an insurance coverage?
- Over 90% of equity mutual fund schemes have an allocation of above 90% to equity
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A of IT Act
- Harassment of taxpayers: CBDT promises action as PM Modi expresses dissatisfaction
- Hold on to Your House Carefully; You May Lose It
- Did Angelina Jolie just boost the growth of $1.72 trillion cancer industry?
- Corporate Espionage and Worse: All Too Common
- QNet: EOW arrests V-Elite leaders Sandeep Kalra and Hitesh Miglani
- History Will Not Be Kind to Dr Manmohan Singh
- The Nirbhaya Documentary - as always, follow the money
- Are fund houses using direct plans to benefit themselves?
- Dena Bank refuses to vacate property; harasses owners
What's your say?
What you said
Thanks for casting your votes! View Previous Polls