Citizens' Issues
India to move ahead with river inter-linking project, says Naidu

According to Venkaiah Naidu, there may be voices in democracy, but the government will have to take up the river linking on a priority basis come what may

 

Notwithstanding concerns raised by environmentalists, the Indian government Tuesday said it will take up inter-linking of rivers on a priority basis "come what may" and that any "obstacles" which may come in the way would be addressed or removed.
 
"Some of our environmental friends are raising voices. There will be voices in democracy, let there be. But, they have answers also... We have to take up river linking on a priority basis come what may," Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu said at a function to mark 'India Water Week'.
 
"Whatever obstacles come, that has to be addressed and they have to be removed," he went on to add.
 
He said an atmosphere needs to be created in the country so that river inter-linking becomes a people's movement.
 
Environmentalists have raised concerns over inter-linking of rivers, claiming that it would threaten the aquatic life and has no hydrological and ecological soundness.
 
Naidu said developed countries are "giving us lessons and sermons" and added, "We have to first develop, then we can give lessons to others."
 
Speaking about conservation of water, Naidu said his ministry is proposing to make water-harvesting mandatory for all local bodies.
 
"I am proposing in the coming days that all urban bodies should make it mandatory to have water harvesting system within their houses and farms. That is going to be the priority also," he said.
 
In his address, Minister of State for Environment Prakash Javadekar said that the water management for sustainable development should be considered on the backdrop of challenges posed by climate change.
 

User

Falling oil prices could lead to an opportunity for lease tank farms
Taking advantage of the falling crude prices, India could invite Gulf oil producers to enter into joint ventures in storage space in other countries
 
The international market has been witnessing a great fall in crude oil prices and the experts believe that this may even touch $40 a barrel in the near term!  As far as India is concerned, it would be in their interest to buy at these prices, as and when available, but continue to explore our own resources.
 
State-run ONGC, for instance, has recently made three discoveries:  gas in KG basin – deep-water block; Mumbai offshore (oil and gas) and in Cauvery basin, a significant gas discovery with a flow of 61,800 cubic metres a day with a condensate at 9.6 cubic metres during testing. This discovery is envisaged to enhance the commercial viability of this block and this well, MD-5 is located in Sirkhazi, Nagapattinam district.  However, these developments would take a few years before commercial production can be achieved.
 
While speaking to the press, a couple of months ago, AK Banerjee, Director of Finance, ONGC, that ‘while a rise in natural gas price will definitely benefit the company, the drop in crude oil prices is definitely eating into the gains’.
 
(OPEC, the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries - 12 of them, account for 40% of the global oil production, which currently stands at 90 million barrels a day, but no member wants to ‘reduce’ their output!
 
In the meantime, ONGC has appointed Intec Sea of Malaysia as consultants to help develop its Krishna-Godavari basin (KG-DWN-98/2 block), as this is estimated to hold 500 million tonnes of oil and oil equivalent gas (100 mt oil and 445 billion cubic metre or 1.33 trillion cubic feet of gas), which makes it ten times as big as Raava fields in KG basin. Potentially, it could produce 75/90,000 barrels a day. ONGC has so far spent an estimated $1.3 billion on the block, thus discovering four oil finds and seven gas discoveries, and yet for reasons declared as ‘technical’, so far nothing has been pumped out! Should they start doing so, or keep it in abeyance, in view of the international market situation? Tough question to ask, and even more difficult to answer!
 
The ONGC-Cairn joint venture at Raageshwari field in Barmer block, Rajasthan (ONGC has 30% and Cairn 70% stake) has drawn up development plans involving $690 million and this is expected to take care of completion of 37 new wells, including surface and other related pipe laying facilities. The present gas facilities, though nominal, is expected to double up by 2020 only.
 
Here again, work is scheduled to continue.
 
Because of the falling crude oil prices, while our exploration policy and development work must continue, what should be our strategy? Ideas have been floated that India should take this golden opportunity to buy as the prices fall and maintain strategic reserves!  But, where, is the question?
 
Many countries in the world have stock-piled strategic petroleum and petroleum products reserves, including the US, which has, in two decades, built up a 727 million barrel reserve. It has four main strategic reserves, and mention may be made of the Bryan Mound reserve in Texas, for example.
 
In so far as India is concerned, we too thought of this way back in 1990s and the Indian Strategic Petroleum Reserve Ltd (ISPR), under the Oil Ministry was set up a few years ago.  As a result, three such reserve facilities are in various stages of completion, and the Vizag unit is expected to be fully operational by end of 2015, while the other two, at Mangaluru and Padur would be in final stages.
 
These three will have a 5 million tonne storage capacity, enough to cover our emergency energy security needs for 15 days. Four more are planned, which can hold 12.5 million tonnes that would cover the 90 days equivalent of consumption by 2020, and these are expected to be built in Rajasthan, Odisha, Gujarat and Karnataka. These are in addition to the commercial storage of crude and petroleum products of about 30 million tonnes (about 70 days needs) available with the oil companies at any given time.
 
From the press reports, one can come to know that the government is keen to utilise underground natural rock caverns through excavations, although, in many countries, they resort to building up huge tank farms.
 
As a temporary measure, floating storage like very large crude carriers (VLCC) could be used, but, here again, it is the question of funding and maintenance costs that would be prohibitive!  Additionally, VLCCs are vulnerable in case of hostilities!
 
One good move that is reported in the press is that during the recent visit of Petroleum Minister, Dharmendra Pradhan, to the Gulf countries, he had proposed to Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and UAE (Abu Dhabi Emirate) the opportunity to use the Indian storage facilities, with India retaining the first right of refusal, for 20% of the stocks held, since 80% would be its own. This could be a start, but it would be more realistic and practical if this was done on a joint venture basis, in which the foreign partner holds the majority, and invests in the entire project.  A mutual discussion could prove to be useful, as later on, such projects can evolve into other related manufacturing facilities, for meeting the Indian and other ‘export’ markets!
 
This would also be a ‘make in India’ campaign, involving strategic materials!
 
(AK Ramdas has worked with the Engineering Export Promotion Council of the ministry of commerce. He was also associated with various committees of the Council. His international career took him to places like Beirut, Kuwait and Dubai at a time when these were small trading outposts; and later to the US.)
 

User

COMMENTS

B. Yerram Raju

2 years ago

The informative article misses the point that the ONGC's is a case of delayed opportunities.While they identified the scope, exploration went into the hands of others for the ONGC to bleed for a long time. India has still resources to be explored and gain from the oil riches in due course reducing the dependency on huge imports. Oil companies' contribution to the GDP would be substantial eventually.

US Supreme Court denies Rajat Gupta’s appeal against lifetime ban

Goldman Sachs' former director Rajat Gupta's appeal against the lifetime ban on him from serving at a public company was denied by the US apex court 

 

The US Supreme Court has denied an appeal by Goldman Sachs' former director Rajat Gupta, who had challenged a ruling by a lower court permanently banning him from serving as an officer or director of a public company.
 
In the Supreme Court order issued Monday, Gupta’s certiorari was denied, in effect keeping intact the ruling made by the US Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit last year which had imposed a permanent injunction prohibiting the former head of McKinsey from serving as an officer or director of a public company, associating with brokers, dealers, or investment advisors, and further violating securities law.
 
The IIT-educated Gupta is currently serving a two-year prison term in Ayer, Massachusetts.
 
The ruling by the Supreme Court was made in a parallel civil insider trading case brought against Gupta by federal regulator Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
 
A three-judge bench of the Appeals Court had in June last year denied Gupta’s plea to overturn the decision of the district court that had permanently barred him from serving as an officer or director of a public company and associating with brokers, dealers, or investment advisors.
 
The appeals court had also upheld the decision by the district court that Gupta had to pay $13.9 million as penalty in the US Securities and Exchange Commission’s insider trading case. The $13.9 million civil fine was not at issue in the Supreme Court appeal and Gupta’s appeal of his criminal conviction is still pending at the Supreme Court.
 
Gupta has also been ordered to pay a $5 million fine in the criminal case and $6.2 million restitution to Goldman Sachs.
 
In denying Gupta’s appeal, the second circuit court had said it finds “no abuse of discretion” in the imposition of injunctive relief and civil penalties on him by the district court.
 
“We have considered Gupta’s remaining arguments and find them to be without merit. Accordingly, we affirm the judgment of the district court,” the three-judge panel had said.
 
Gupta had been fighting with all his might to reverse his insider trading conviction and avoid going to jail. He began his prison sentence after fighting a protracted legal battle to clear his name in one of the biggest insider trading schemes in US history.
 

User

COMMENTS

Carlos De Souza

2 years ago

I stll feel Rajat got away relatively lightly.

10 years in jail and US$ 100 million in fines would have been more like it.

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)