India-Pakistan cricket match breaks all viewership records, says aMap
The much-awaited encounter between the two neighbours attained a record viewership of 20.02 points, unheard of in the Indian television space. Cricket fever has led to a 514% increase in the ratings for the sports genre over the average on the last four Wednesdays
The Indian cricket team, which is on the verge of winning the World Cup, has already created history for television viewership. The semi-final between India and Pakistan on Wednesday saw the ratings peak at 20.02, which no event, no match, no show, has achieved so far, according to Audience Measurement and Analytics Ltd (aMap). aMap is an overnight TV audience measurement system that provides data on multiple dimensions like demographics, ownership and viewership.
"World Cup matches have seen high viewership numbers… be it India against England, or India against Australia. However, the India-Pakistan match surpassed all expectations, attracting ratings of 11.7 and getting peak ratings of 20.02 points. The madness associated with the India-Pak match was in true form and with 67.3 million viewers watching the match on TV, it was the grandest of all events," said Jiniti Shah, vice-president, aMap.
According to aMap, the time spent per viewer for the India-Australia match was 115 minutes, for the India-England game it was 99 minutes, and the involvement shot up to an electrifying 160 minutes per viewer for the titanic tie on Wednesday. It said the time spent for the sports genre shot up by 248%, which contributed to the high jump in gross rating points (GRPs).
Women in India, normally perceived to be not too keen to watch cricket matches, were glued to the TV sets throughout the matches. The female target group (TG) has shown a tremendous growth, especially cable and satellite (CS) housewives (working) showed an increase of 49% and CS housewives showed increase of 33% across all TGs, from 15+ years females that witnessed a 30% increase in viewership to CS 4+ years females viewership that increased by 31%, the audience measurement service provider said.
While sports channels witnessed robust viewership, general entertainment channels (GEC) saw viewership dip by 20% during the semi-final match on Wednesday. aMap said, "The match led to a 20% dip in GRPs of the GEC genre with a subsequent increase of 514% in the sports genre over the average of last four Wednesdays. The net reach for the sports genre increased by 80% over the average of last four Wednesdays."
More in Moneylife
Medha Patkar quits AAP +607 views
TODAY'S TOP STORIES
Moneylife Foundation: Maharashtra CM Fadnavis says financial literacy empowers citizens
Grab a Discount Coupon here
- Did you know LPG consumers get an insurance coverage?
- Harassment of taxpayers: CBDT promises action as PM Modi expresses dissatisfaction
- Over 90% of equity mutual fund schemes have an allocation of above 90% to equity
- Did Angelina Jolie just boost the growth of $1.72 trillion cancer industry?
- Hold on to Your House Carefully; You May Lose It
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A of IT Act
- Corporate Espionage and Worse: All Too Common
- QNet: EOW arrests V-Elite leaders Sandeep Kalra and Hitesh Miglani
- History Will Not Be Kind to Dr Manmohan Singh
- The Nirbhaya Documentary - as always, follow the money
- Are fund houses using direct plans to benefit themselves?
- Dena Bank refuses to vacate property; harasses owners
What's your say?
What you said
Thanks for casting your votes! View Previous Polls