Income-tax department’s Centralised Processing Centre neglects acknowledging returns submissions
Worried tax assessees complain about lack of communication with Bengaluru-based CPC
The last date for filing income-tax returns is near. So the rush to file returns is on. However, despite the I-T department's initiative to provide electronic facility (e-filling) for filing returns, the commotion and the confusion just doesn't seem to go away.
R Krishnamurthy submitted his ITR-V (Income Tax Return -Verification) form by ordinary post on 5 May 2011. But he has not received any acknowledgement of receipt from the Income Tax department's Centralised Processing Centre (CPC), in Bengaluru, and is therefore uncertain about the status of his returns.
There are three ways to file the returns electronically. First, using digital signature where no paper return is required to be submitted. Second, is to file without digital signature where ITR-V form is supposed to be submitted to the CPC, Bengaluru, within 120 days of e-filing. This is a single-page receipt-cum-verification form. The third option is to file the papers through an e-return intermediary who would do the e-filing and assist the assessee in this process.
Mr Krishnamurthy sent his ITR-V form by post as his file did not have a digital signature. According to the procedure, on receiving the ITR-V, the CPC must send an e-mail acknowledging receipt.
Mr Krishnamurthy, has repeatedly tried to contact the CPC office on email and even on phone, but without success. Strangely, he did receive an SMS saying that certain documents were sent to him on email, but he says he has not got anything yet.
This is only one of numerous such cases that have been piling up over the past many months and there just does not seem to be anybody who will do anything about this. Some persons have complained about not getting e-receipts for their submissions. Others complain about wrong submission numbers on the e-receipts.
The issue of acknowledgements is all the more important as the CPC does not accept submissions by Speed Post, Registered Post, or by courier, and assessees who do not have a digital signature are required to send their the forms only by ordinary post and people have complained that this is unreliable.
The deadline for filing returns in 31 July 2011
Moneylife sent a detailed e-mail to the CPC seeking a explanation on these issues, but we have not received a reply till the time of publishing this story.
Moneylife reported last week that the Bombay Chartered Accountants' Society is making efforts to take up related issues with the Centralised Processing Centre. (Read, "Bombay Chartered Accountants' Society to take up I-T rectification matter with tax authorities".)
More in Moneylife
11 Stocks with High Dividend Yield +4529 views
TODAY'S TOP STORIES
Moneylife Foundation launches Legal Helpline and Resource Centre
- 11 Stocks with High Dividend Yield
- Traffic can be stopped only for President, Vice President and Prime Minister
- “Entrepreneurs should always have a clear vision,” says Meenal Arora
- Sensex, Nifty in a highly bullish mode: Weekly market report
- Does the election expenses limit have any meaning?
- Citrus Check Inns mis-selling holiday package as investment plan?
- Bitcoin exchange First Meta's CEO found dead in Singapore
- Need for immediate crack down on high flying wilful defaulters –Part I
- Sensex, Nifty in a massive rally: Friday closing report
- Sensex, Nifty close at all time high on shrinking CAD: Thursday closing report
- What Really Happened at United Bank of India?
- Is SEBI aware of huge mutual fund upfront commissions?
- QNet: Bombay HC rejects Transview plea to defreeze bank accounts
- QNet fallout? Pushpam Appalanaidu, MD of QuestNet India, arrested
- A Thin Dividing Line: An eye-opener on Indian losses due to tax treaties
- “Ambani ki dukaan Includes Congress-BJP-Media” — Kejriwal
- How RTI activist exposed Pune Div Commissioner Prabhakar Deshmukh’s land scam
- United Bank’s bulging NPAs: What went wrong?
- Crazy about “corporate governance norms”, SEBI is blind about Geodesic
- Who is 'pepper spray' Rajagopal?
What's your say?
What you said
Thanks for casting your votes! View Previous Polls