Citizens' Issues
Haryana tense, army deployed in eight districts
Rohtak/Chandigarh : The situation in Haryana continued to remain tense on Saturday due to ongoing agitation carried out by Jat protesters, with army personnel deployed in eight districts.
 
Soldiers were airlifted earlier on Saturday to the violence-hit Rohtak town after the protesters dug up roads to block the entry of the military.
 
The agitation began as Jats are demanding reservation for the community in government jobs and educational institutions. 
 
Looting and arson continued in the town through Friday night with unruly mobs targeting malls, shops and other buildings and many of them were set on fire.
 
Indian Air Force helicopters did several sorties to transport soldiers into some parts of Rohtak town. 
 
"Around 20-30 troops were being brought into Rohtak town by choppers. They will be deployed in areas which are under siege of the Jat protesters," a senior officer told IANS.
 
Authorities in Rohtak asked people not to venture out of their houses after 9.30 a.m. as the army prepared for a flag march.
 
The army staged a flag-march in Bhiwani town. Officials said that the situation was under control.
 
Reports said that national highway No. 1 (NH-1) was blocked by protesters in Sonipat district, 50 km from Delhi. The Delhi-Ambala railway track remained blocked since Friday evening. Hundreds of passengers were stranded as railway authorities cancelled several trains on the route.
 
Nearly 550 trains were either cancelled or diverted since the agitation began a week ago.
 
On Friday, the agitation that started a week ago, got even worse and resulted in the death of three people and dozens, including security personnel, were injured.
 
The mob also attacked the office of the Rohtak range inspector general of police (IGP) and set the house of Finance Minister Abhimanyu on fire.
 
Jat leader Hawa Singh Sangwan said that the youth have taken over the agitation. 
 
"They do not have any organised leader and hence the violence is happening. Some mischievous elements have infiltrated the mobs," he said.
 
Authorities have also blocked internet and SMS services in the affected districts.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

Kalikho Pul is new Arunachal Pradesh CM
Guwahati : Dissident Congress lawmaker Kalikho Pul was on Friday was sworn in as the new chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh, which has been under Presidents' Rule since January 25 following political instability.
 
Arunachal Pradesh Governor Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa swore him the oath of office and secrecy at a beief function organised at the Raj Bhavan in the hilly state around 9.30 p.m. 
 
The development came after President Pranab Mukherjee earlier in the day approved the recommendation of the union cabinet for revocation of the President's Rule.
 
BJP leader Tapir Gaon said that only Pul, who was elected as leader of the house by 31 legislators, took oath of office and secrecy. 
 
The new chief minister will induct his ministers at a later date. 
 
The BJP said it will lend support to the new government from outside only and will not be its part.
 
The Supreme court on Thursday paved the way for the formation of the new government by disposing of Congress leader Nabam Tuki's plea for an interim direction that his party be allowed to go for a floor test in the house and vacated its earlier order for maintenance of status quo.
 
On Monday, Pul and another 31 MLAs, including 18 Congress legislators, 11 of BJP and two Independents, met the governor and submitted a memorandum to stake claim to form the government.
 
The legislators reaffirmed their support to Pul to head the council of ministers and that he may be sworn in at the end of the President's Rule Arunachal Pradesh.
 
Political situation in the north-eastern state turned volatile after the governor advanced an assembly session from January 2016 to December 2015. 
 
While the then chief minister Nabam Tuki and his supporters boycotted the session, the dissident Congress and BJP legislators, and two Independents, took part in the session held first at a community hall and then at a hotel. 
 
The legislators impeached Speaker Nabam Rebia by a voice vote and moved a no- confidence motion against the chief minister, forcing both to move the Guwahati High Court and subsequently the Supreme Court.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

15 new coal washeries to be operational by September 2017
New Delhi : The government said on Friday that 15 coal washeries will be made operational by September next year, thus doubling the current number which has a total capacity of 38 million tonnes per annum.
 
This was conveyed to the parliamentary consultative committee attached to the coal ministry that met at Andhra Pradesh's Tirupati to review the status of implementation of coal washeries and measures being taken for improvement of quality of coal by state miner Coal India Ltd (CIL) and its subsidiaries, the coal ministry said in a statement here.
 
"Members were informed that CIL (Coal India Ltd) has existing 15 washeries with capacity of 38 million tonnes per annum (MTPA) and as part of future plan, CIL plans to build 15 new washeries for augmenting the demand of washed coal for energy needs and compliance of environmental regulations," it said.
 
The meeting, chaired by Power and Coal Minister Piyush Goyal, also included Coal Secretary Anil Swarup, chairmen and directors of CIL and NLC, as well as senior ministry officials.
 
Committee members were also informed that from January 1, 2016, it has been made mandatory to supply 100 percent crushed coal of (-) 100 mm size to power sector consumers having fuel supply agreements (FSA), excluding pit head power plants of NCL and ECL, the statement added.
 
During 2015-16, a total of 63.8 million tonnes of crushing capacity has been added with installation of mobile crushers and feeder breakers, the ministry said.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)