The US FTC recommended telecom companies to prevent cramming, which is the illegal practice of hiding unauthorized charges, including giving customers express right to block third-party charges and developing a transparent process for resolving disputes
About four weeks after the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) filed a multimillion-dollar complaint against T-Mobile on cramming issues, the agency on Monday issued a report on how mobile carriers and others should protect consumers from it.
A press release lists five recommendations for companies to follow to prevent cramming, which is the illegal practice of hiding unauthorized charges, including giving customers the express right to block third-party charges and developing a transparent process for resolving disputes. The agency brought three cases of mobile cramming in 2013, which resulted in more than $160 million in judgments.
In response to the July 1 complaint against T-Mobile, USA CEO John Legere said there were protections already in place and blamed the third-party providers for acting irresponsibly. The FTC alleges in its complaint that T-Mobile used third-party billing to collect up to 40 percent of the total amount charged to customers.
On Tuesday, the FTC announced that a California federal court had “temporarily halted” a mobile phone cramming scheme that allegedly bilked more than $100 million from unknowing consumers. Previously, the FTC brought a complaint against the six defendants that accused them of tricking consumers into providing their mobile phone numbers with bogus offers and gift cards posted on fake websites.
For more tips on protecting yourself from cramming and other types of cell phone fraud, click here.
Residents of Campa Cola society, in their plea had said that there is a provision by which even unauthorised constructions are regularised after paying penalties and other charges
The Supreme Court on Monday issued notices to Maharashtra government and BrihanMumbai Municipal Corp (BMC) in the Campa cola case. Residents of the unauthorised flats at Campa Cola society, had filed a plea seeking yet another chance to negotiate with the BMC for saving their flats.
A Bench headed by Justice SJ Mukhopadhaya issued notice to the state government and the municipal body, which are returnable in two weeks.
In their plea, the residents had claimed said that there is a provision by which even the unauthorised constructions are regularised after paying penalties and other charges.
Its six days since the landslide and the GSI has issued an advice to rescue teams and district officials to evacuate remaining houses near the Malin site due to chances of further sliding
With the recovery of three more bodies from under the massive landslide debris at Malin village near Pune, the death toll in the calamity has climbed to 109. The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) operation to locate possible survivors entered the sixth day on Monday amid intermittent showers.
The Geological Survey of India (GSI) has issued an advice to the rescue team and district officials to evacuate remaining houses near the landslide site.
“If it continues to rain for another 3-4 days, there is a possibility of further sliding in the adjacent portions of the landslide that has already taken place,” a statement issued by the GSI said.
The 109 dead included 44 men, 49 women and 16 children, district administration officials said.
Carcasses of 22 animals too have been extricated from the huge mound of mud and stones that buried about 44 houses after the tragedy struck on July 30, they said.
Intermittent showers continued to lash the region, hampering movement of heavy machinery deployed by NDRF on the marshy land, developed at the site due to rain and mud.
About 50 more persons are still believed to be trapped under the rubble but there is dim hope of finding any survivors. Eight injured persons had earlier been pulled out to safety, officials said.
Unable to come to terms with the reality, some close relatives of the victims continued to stand and wait endlessly under trees, straining their eyes in anticipation of a miracle that would bring back alive their loved ones.
A team of GSI led by its Director General Harbans Singh had yesterday attributed the catastrophe to “natural causes” after visiting and inspecting the site, negating the theory that levelling of soil on hill tops in some areas of the region for paddy cultivation could have been a contributory factor in the disaster.