World
Former top Chinese official indicted for corruption
Jiang Jiemin, former head of the state-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission, has been indicted on suspicion of corruption, the Supreme People's Procuratorate (SPP) announced on Thursday.
 
The SPP has completed its investigation into Jiang and transferred his case to the Hanjiang branch of the Hubei People's Procuratorate, state-run Xinhua news agency reported. 
 
The latter filed the charges with the Hanjiang Intermediate People's Court on Thursday, according to an SPP statement.
 
Prosecutors accuse Jiang of taking bribes, abuse of power and owning property that he could not possibly have afforded on his legitimate earnings. They believe he took advantage of his posts to seek profit for others, taking a huge amount in bribes, when he worked with the China National Petroleum Corporation and PetroChina Company Limited.
 
Jiang's actions caused major losses to state assets, the statement added.
 
It did not provide any details on how the prosecution would progress.
 
Jiang was placed under investigation and removed from public office in September 2013 and stripped of his membership of the Communist Party of China in June 2014. 

User

Court wants six SpiceJet aircraft grounded, airline to appeal
The Delhi High Court on Thursday ordered the civil aviation regulator to de-register six aircraft of SpiceJet for non-payment of dues to some of its lessors -- an issue which the budget carrier said is being resolved.
 
Justice Rajiv Shakdher also asked the Directorate General for Civil Aviation to decide in two weeks' time a plea by two Irish firms to export the planes.
 
The court's directives came on the pleas of leading global aircraft lessors AWAS Ireland and Wilmington Trust SP Services (Dublin). The firms sought directions to de-register the aircraft leased by them to SpiceJet, on grounds of alleged non-payment of dues.
 
"We are studying the order and if so advised, we will take the matter to higher judicial forum. Dialogues are on with the lessors and expecting to resolve the issue very soon," a spokesperson for SpiceJet told IANS.
 
The move comes even as co-founder Ajay Singh, now back at the airline's helm, intervened and paid $10 million of the dues. The airline said the remaining amount was expected to be settled soon with the lessors of the Boeing B737 planes. 
 
The order to de-register the six planes comes at a time when the airline is trying to overcome its turbulent times since last year.
 
In Singh's second innings with the airline, he and his associates bought back the 53.5-percent stake in the airline that was sold to the Marans of Chennai, who own the Sun Group.

User

Fadnavis's 50,000 Mumbai 'sisters' demand toilets
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis's office has been aflush with a whopping 50,000 post-cards from 'sisters' demanding toilet facilities for women in Mumbai, an official said here on Thursday.
 
The 50,000 printed post-cards were signed by Mumbai's working women and posted on March 8 - International Women's Day - hoping to draw 'elder brother' Fadnavis's attention to the immense problems they faced due to lack of clean, hygienic toilets around the city.
 
"A metropolis like Mumbai fails to provide women with sufficient number of hygienic urinals and latrines at convenient intervals. The situation is worse for women in other parts of the state. Hence, we have launched the 'My Right to Clean Toilets' initiative," Maharashtra Navnirman Sena vice-president Shalini Thackeray told IANS.
 
She claimed that the call for clean and safe toilets for women was not a political demand but a serious matter of concern for the sanitation of the women in the city since they encounter various social and health issues due to lack of sufficient toilets.
 
Taking serious note of the demand from so many 'sisters', Fadnavis has accorded the matter priority and will meet Thackeray next week to hammer out solutions.
 
Thackeray explained that an MNS survey earlier this month revealed there are around 4,500 public toilets in Mumbai, of which nearly 65 percent are for men only, many have no proper water supply and a majority are filthy.
 
"This poses immense hardships to women, especially in urban centres like Mumbai where they commute long distances and remain outdoors for work at least 12 hours daily," Thackeray said.
 
The drive was launched with a signature campaign at various railway stations March 8 with the participation of celebrities and the post-cards were posted to the chief minister's office.
 
MNS president Raj Thackeray inaugurated a block of 50 pre-fabricated toilets for women of Dindoshi in suburban Malad to kick off the drive.
 
Shalini Thackeray said after her meeting with Fadnavis next week, she would call on the BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation authorities and later spread the 'My Right to Clean Toilets' campaign in rural Maharashtra.

User

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)