The minister said that food inflation has come down from 20% in December 2009 to 17.7% in March 2010
Finance minister Pranab Mukherjee said today that prices of essential commodities have started softening and food inflation will decline in the coming months, reports PTI.
“Indications of softening food inflation are clearly visible. It is expected that this would decline in the coming months uninterruptedly,” he said, while initiating discussions on the Finance Bill in the Lok Sabha.
Food inflation, the minister said, had declined from over 20% in December 2009, to 17.7% in March 2010.
The minister also recalled the steps taken by the government to deal with general inflation, which was in the negative zone in June-August 2009, and had since risen to 9.9% in March 2010.
He also expressed the commitment of the government to continue with the fiscal consolidation programme and gradually reduce the fiscal deficit to 4.5% in 2011-12 and 4.1% in 2012-13.
An anti-virus package is supposed to protect users from virus attacks. McAfee's faulty update patch, however, did the reverse
Security and anti-virus software maker McAfee has said that it will compensate users of its anti-virus program, who were affected by a faulty update patch, mostly users of Windows XP3.
Last week, McAfee distributed malware definition update file ‘5958 DAT’ for its software users. Following the update, McAfee's VirusScan detected a genuine Windows file 'svchost.exe' as being infected with new variants in the ‘Wecorl’ family of malware, (W32/Wecorl.a). It then forced the system to shut down and reboot in a loop. Many users were left with a system locked in a permanent reboot cycle. Interestingly, the Wecorl virus is fairly old and unless there are some alterations made to it by its developers, there was no reason for McAfee to detect it as a new virus.
In a blog update, McAfee said that home or home office users whose PCs were rendered inoperable or severely impaired as a result of the security update will receive a free two-year extension of their current McAfee subscription product at no charge. Similarly, customers who have incurred costs to repair their systems because of security update issues would be reimbursed 'reasonable' expenses, it said.
The question, however, is whether users of Windows XP3 and McAfee would be able to detect the issue. Since the Windows operating system has a habit of displaying the 'blue screen of death’ time and again, many would not be able to see the difference between the two errors. They may think the blue screen is a result of Windows itself and not that of their trusted anti-virus software.
Anyway, the remedy for the problem is to restore 'svchost.exe' with the Super DAT remediation tool and update to 5959 DAT or later from McAfee.
The joint venture will focus on acquisition of both domestic and global coal blocks; both companies will have equal stake in the project
The country’s largest power producer, NTPC, today said that it has formed a joint venture with State-run Coal India Ltd that will focus on acquisition of coal blocks in India and abroad, reports PTI.
The joint venture will be known as ‘CIL NTPC Urja Pvt Ltd’ and the two companies “shall contribute equally in the equity share capital of the company,” the power major said in a filing to the Bombay Stock Exchange. The JV was incorporated on 27th April, it further said.
“This company has been formed to carry on the business of acquisition, in part or full, of green-field or operational coal/lignite mine blocks in India and abroad and development of all kinds of coal/lignite mining for supply of fuels to the company, NTPC and other buyers,” the company added.
Yesterday, PSU majors Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd and NTPC signed a joint venture agreement to set up nuclear power projects.
The agreement envisages incorporation of a company for setting up nuclear power projects in the country. While NPCIL will have 51% equity in the new company, the remaining 49% will be held by NTPC. The JV is expected to be operational in a couple of months.
Shares of NTPC were being quoted at Rs206.05, up by 0.15% in afternoon trade on the BSE.