Consumer Issues
FlyDubai pays $20,000 per crash victim to family

The airline said it was their priority to identify and contact the families of those killed in the accident and provide immediate support to those affected by Saturday's tragedy, Xinhua reported

 

Dubai-based low-cost carrier FlyDubai said on Sunday it will pay $20,000 per victim following the crash of its plane from Dubai to Russia.
 
The airline said it was their priority to identify and contact the families of those killed in the accident and provide immediate support to those affected by Saturday's tragedy, Xinhua reported.
 
"FlyDubai will additionally organise a programme of hardship payments to the families amounting to $20,000 per passenger, in accordance with our conditions of carriage, with the aim of addressing the immediate financial needs," it said.
 
The FlyDubai flight 981, which came from Dubai, was making its second attempt to land at the Rostov-on-Don airport at 3.50 p.m. (Moscow time) on Saturday when it missed the runway and crashed.
 
"We ensure the highest standards of investigations and express our deep condolences to the family members of the victims and the crew," said CEO Ghaith Al-Ghaith on Saturday.
 
The plane carried 55 passengers and seven crew members on board, including four children. Among the passengers, 44 of them were Russians, eight from Ukraine, two from India and one from Uzbekistan.
 
The plane was a Boeing 737-800 made in 2011. The pilot had 5,965 flight hours experience and the co-pilot 5,769 hours, Al-Ghaith said.
 
The exact cause of the crash remains under investigation.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.
 

 

User

Nepal puts fuel deal with China on back-burner

After ties were strained with India following Oli assuming the office, Nepal looked towards its northern neighbour, aiming to import at least one-third of the total petroleum needs of the Himalayan country from China

 

Nepal will not sign a petroleum agreement with China during the official visit of Prime Minister K.P. Sharma Oli to the northern neighbour, according to key ministers.
 
After a five-month unofficial blockage by Madhesi groups at key entry points on the Nepal-India border that hit petroleum supplies after promulgation of the new constitution last year, Nepal attempted to import petroleum products from China.
 
After ties were strained with India following Oli assuming the office, Nepal looked towards its northern neighbour, aiming to import at least one-third of the total petroleum needs of the Himalayan country from China.
 
China gave some 100,000 kilolitres of fuel as grant to Nepal but did not complete the negotiations to export fuel, citing several reasons like difficult geographical terrain, taxes, transportation and other issues.
 
Nepal had sent several teams for negotiations with China that included Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Affairs Minister Kamal Thapa.
 
Nepal and China agreed to sign an agreement during the visit of Prime Minister Oli.
 
However, officials have told IANS that the deal to import petroleum products from China was "unlikely this time".
 
"We have already agreed to import fuel from China," Thapa told IANS ahead of Oli's visit, adding: "We will follow the negotiations of price and other logistics gradually."
 
For a long time, Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. (IOCL) has been the sole supplier of petroleum products to Nepal.
 
After IOCL said it was considering supplying 70 percent of the total fuel demand, Nepal decided to import the rest 30 percent from China and started negotiations with Petro China. Nepal and China signed a framework deal in November last year.
 
However, following Oli's visit to India in February, the fuel supply from the southern neighbour eased.
 
As Oli begins his visit to Beijing on Sunday, Nepal's Supplies Minister Ganesh Man Pun, who was initially scheduled to join the delegation, has not been included in the final list of delegates.
 
This, according to sources, was because the agenda of importing fuel from China has now been put on the back-burner.
 
"I cannot ask the prime minister why I have not been included in the delegation. After all it is his delegation," Pun said on Saturday, admitting that he was not travelling with Oli to China.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.
 

 

User

9 stalled gas-based plants now to generate 7 bn units of electricity

Sunday's reverse e-auction for stranded gas-based plants SGPs is the third phase of auctions conducted

 

The government on Sunday announced revival of 9 stranded gas-based power plants with total installed capacity of 5,942 MW, which successfully bid electricity at Rs.4.70 per unit for six months beginning April, at the conclusion here of the reverse e-auction process.
 
"The auction process successfully concluded on March 20 wherein 9 plants emerged as preferred bidders and were allocated 7.62 million standard cubic meter per day (mscmd) e-bid RLNG (reliquefied natural gas)," said a power ministry statement.
 
"These plants would generate 6.79 billion units of which will be supplied at or below Rs.4.70 per unit to the purchaser discoms during the period from April 1, 2016 to September 30, 2016," it said.
 
"The re-auction resulted in aggressive negative bidding with the lowest bid at Rs.0.03 per unit. As a result there is estimated savings of Rs.18.29 crore to the government's Power System Development Fund," it added.
 
Sunday's reverse e-auction for stranded gas-based plants SGPs is the third phase of auctions conducted.
 
Auctions for the first and second phases were held in May and September respectively last year.
 
A total of 10 mscmd of RLNG will be imported to run SGPs and domestic gas plants (DGPs) between April 1 to September 30.
 
According to the bid document, while 8.9 mscmd of gas will be imported for SGPs, 1.1 mscmd will be allocated to DGPs.
 
The government is offering Rs.1,400 crore subsidy for SGPs and Rs.200 crore to the DGPs for buying imported gas to run their plants.
 
It had, in March last year, allowed gas imports by way of e-auctions for 31 gas-based power units, with a capacity of 14,000 MW, lying idle for lack of feed stock.
 
The 31 power stations with a combined capacity of 14,305 MW became eligible to apply for Power System Development Fund (PSDF) to generate 30 percent of their installed capacity using imported LNG.
 
In the first phase of auctions, 10 of the plants bid through reverse e-auction for generating over 5 billion units of electricity to be supplied at below Rs.5 per unit during peak summer, and in the second phase, 13 plants with an installed capacity of 8,262.08 MW emerged successful bidders.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.
 

 

User

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine)