World
FBI hacks into iPhone, US drops legal battle against Apple
Washington : After successfully hacking into the encrypted Apple iPhone of one of the terrorists in San Bernardino, California shooting, the US Department of Justice has withdrawn legal action against the tech giant.
 
According to the media reports, a third party helped the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to crack the security function without erasing contents of the iPhone used by Syed Farook.
 
Farook, along with his wife Tashfeen Malik, planned and executed the December 2, 2015 shooting that left 14 people killed.
 
"This case should never have been brought. We will continue to help law enforcement with their investigations, as we have done all along, and we will continue to increase the security of our products as the threats and attacks on our data become more frequent and more sophisticated," Apple said in a statement on Monday.
 
"This case raised issues which deserve a national conversation about our civil liberties, and our collective security and privacy," the statement said.
 
Recently, Apple CEO Tim Cook, referring to the ongoing battle with the US government over encryption to unlock an iPhone, reiterated the company's commitment to protect its users' data and privacy.
 
Addressing a packed auditorium at its Cupertino, California-based headquarters, Cook said: "We have a responsibility to help you protect your data and your privacy. We will not shrink from this responsibility."
 
"We built the iPhone for you, our customers, and for many of us it is a deeply personal device," he told the gathering during a special launch event this month.
 
On Monday, the federal government department, on behalf of the FBI, made the move at a US court in Central California, Xinhua reported.
 
The two-page court filing said that the FBI had accessed data stored on the iPhone 5c.
 
A week ago, a day before the DOJ and the Silicon Valley technology company were scheduled to appear at a hearing at the court, the government said it was trying a new way to unlock the phone used by Farook.
 
The smartphone has a feature that erases data after 10 unsuccessful unlocking attempts.
 
Successfully bypassing Apple in its efforts to look into the phone for information probably helpful in the terror attack investigation, the DOJ did not make public on Monday any details about who did help and how did it make through.
 
Apple had been resisting the order by Judge Pym since February 16, when she ordered the manufacturer to provide the FBI with specialised software to disable the security feature.
 
In an earlier TV interview, citing privacy protection for customers as a reason, Cook suggested that he would fight the case all the way up the US Supreme Court.
 
The argument was heated, as the government side fought on the ground that it was a work phone owned by the San Bernardino county, and the software would be in the possession of Apple rather than in the hands of FBI agents.
 
Both sides seemed to have failed to win full public support.
 
However, the DOJ's decision not to go after Apple's assistance effectively put the dispute to an end, at least for now.
 
And it is now Apple's turn to figure out, and for iPhone users to wonder, how secure is the phone and data on the device.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

Indian defence exports surged in 2015
New Delhi : As India focuses on enhancing domestic production of military hardware, a surge in its export was recorded in nine months to end-2015, with the net value touching almost $210 million (Rs.1,400 crore).
 
According to the annual report of the defence ministry, the Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs), Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) and the private sector companies exported products worth Rs.1,397 crore from April to December 2015. The final figures for the fiscal ending March 31 are yet to be tabulated.
 
Exports in the financial year 2014-15 were valued at Rs.994 crore.
 
"The trend in export shows phenomenal growth by the industry," the defence ministry report said.
 
It also lauded the role of private companies in the defence sector, stating that the exports by the sector had shown "accelerated growth" by 12-14 companies.
 
The major destinations for defence exports from India include Afghanistan, Algeria, Belgium, Ecuador, Indonesia, Israel, Myanmar, Nepal, Oman, Romania, Russia, South Korea, Sudan, Vietnam and the UK.
 
Among the major items being exported are Offshore patrol vessels, spares for radars, Cheetal helicopters, turbo chargers and batteries, electronic systems, light engineering mechanical parts and personal protective items, which comprise articles like helmets, bulletproof jackets and other types of clothing.
 
The report also observed that the online system for NoCs (No Objection Certificates) which was started in November 2014 is working satisfactorily.
 
In August 2015, the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for issuing NOCs for export of military stores by public or private defence industry were also revised.
 
Under this, the requirement of an End User Certificate to be countersigned or stamped by the government authorities has been done away with for the export of items like parts, components or sub-systems.
 
As the government promotes participation of private sector in defence manufacturing, the report also said that the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion has issued 319 Industrial Licences to 190 companies till January 2016.
 
Of these, 50 companies with 79 licences have started production.
 
The new Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) envisages providing a boost to the 'Make in India' initiative, enhanced role for private sector, and promoting medium and small scale industries.
 
It also has a new category of Buy Indian -- Indigenous Design Development and Manufacturing under which indigenously designed equipment with 40 percent content will be procured.
 
According to Sweden-based think-tank Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), between 2011 and 2015 India was the largest importer of arms, accounting for 14 percent of the global trade.
 
It, however, does not appear prominently in the list of defence exporters, with the top slot being taken by the US, which accounts for 33 percent of global arms export, according to SIPRI.
 
According to the Institute's analysis, adding together the data that states have made available on the financial value of their arms exports, the estimated total value of the global arms trade in 2013 was at least $76 billion. It adds that the true figure is likely to be higher.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

Shame on people for trolling Anushka: Virat Kohli
New Delhi : India's star batsman Virat Kohli has slammed haters for trolling his former girlfriend Anuskha Sharma.
 
"Shame on people for trolling Anushka Sharma non-stop. Have some compassion. She has always only given me positivity," Kohli wrote on Twitter on Monday. 
 
He wrote a longer message on Instagram to extend support to the Bollywood actress. 
 
"Shame on those people who have been having a go at Anushka for the longest time and connecting every negative thing to her. Shame on those people calling themselves educated. Shame on blaming and making fun of her when she has no control over what I do with my sport," Kohli wrote in the post. 
 
"If anything she has only motivated and given me more positivity. This was long time coming. Shame on these people that hide and take a dig," he said, while adding that he doesn't need any "respect for this post".
 
"Have some compassion and respect her. Think of how your sister or girlfriend or wife would feel if someone trolled them and very conveniently rubbished them in public," he wrote.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)