Companies & Sectors
Facebook announces enhanced security for WhatsApp
New Delhi : Following the Silicon Valley’s recent stare-down with authorities over user data privacy involving Apple's iPhone encryption, social media giant Facebook has announced end-to-end encryption of Whatsapp messages that allows users to protect their conversations from being hacked.
 
“An important milestone for the WhatsApp community. Now all your conversations and calls are encrypted to keep you and your information safe when you use the latest version," said Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in a statement on Wednesday.
 
Facebook acquired California-based WhatsApp in 2014.
 
A full end-to-end encryption means that over one billion users of WhatsApp, when running the latest version of the messaging app, every call they make, and every message, photo, video, file, and voice message they send, will be end-to-end encrypted by default, and can only be deciphered by the intended recipient.
 
"The idea is simple: when you send a message, the only person who can read it is the person or group chat that you send that message to. No one can see inside that message. Not cybercriminals. Not hackers. Not oppressive regimes. Not even us," said Jan Koum, CEO and co-founder of Whatsapp in a blog post on Tuesday. 
 
Encryption is one of the most important tools governments, companies, and individuals have to promote safety and security in the new digital age. Recently there has been a lot of discussion about encrypted services and the work of law enforcement, Koum added.
 
“We've been working for the past two years to give people better security over their conversations on WhatsApp. I'm proud of our team for hitting this milestone,” he said.
 
The social network's decision to enhance its security features comes close on the heels of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's attempt to force Apple unlock an encrypted iPhone used by San Bernardino shooter Syed Farouk, who along with his wife opened fire at a holiday party, killing 14 people.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

Norms changed where telecom spectrum was allotted, not auctioned
New Delhi : India on Wednesday approved changes in policy where telecom spectrum or airwaves were allotted administratively rather than auctioned, to arrive at the market-determined price for the scarce resource. This is to facilitate sharing and trading of spectrum by players.
 
"The most recent recommended reserve price will be taken as the provisional price, where auction-determined price is not available," Communications and IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said after a meeting of the cabinet, presided over by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
 
"Subsequent to the completion of ensuing auction and with the availability of auction-determined price, the provisional price already charged will be adjusted with the auction-determined price with effect from the date of liberalisation on a pro-rata basis," he said.
 
The cabinet decision is based on the recommendations of industry watchdog, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), and will facilitate optimal utilisation of spectrum by introducing new technologies, sharing and trading, the minister said.
 
"A sum of Rs.1,300 crore is likely to accrue to the exchequer by this process."
 
The government had already specified the norms for administratively allotted spectrum in 800 MHz and 1,800 MHz bands, and the watchdog was approached for the same on similar spectrum in the 900 MHz band.
 
In 800 MHz, four circles had been left out. But this, too, was done end-February.
 
During consultations, the watchdog wanted to know from the stakeholders if the liberalisation of administratively-allotted spectrum in 900 MHz band should be similar to what has been spelt out by the DoT for 800 MHz and 1800 MHz band, and if such reform should be made mandatory.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

In telecom towers, India's nod to ATC for majority stake in Viom
New Delhi : India on Wednesday approved top telecom towers company ATC Asia Pacific to acquire majority stake in Viom Networks for Rs.5,856.51 crore.
 
"The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has given its approval to the proposal of ATC Asia Pacific Singapore for acquisition of 51 percent of shareholding in Viom Networks by way of transfer from existing shareholders," an official statement said here.
 
The approval would result in a total foreign direct investment inflow of Rs.5,856.51 crore into the telecom infrastructure of the country which will spur economic growth, besides fostering inclusiveness and equity, it added.
 
Viom Networks has over 42,000 towers across India and it is present in all telecom circles in India, with 15 offices and a workforce of 1,400 employees. The company builds, rents, operates and manages telecom towers across India in addition to providing tower solutions to various downstream sectors.
 
Ahead of approval, global markets research firm Nomura said the ongoing consolidation among telecom companies implies that eventually four or five will remain. 
 
"This is positive for tower companies over the medium term -- these telecom companies will be more active on rollouts, plus their contracts will also be more sustainable." It said the tower companies are exploring new revenues sources -- such as in-building and Wi-Fi.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)