Citizens' Issues
Eminent Kolkata residents to walk against anarchy
Expressing alarm over the 'growing anarchy' in West Bengal, a host of eminent personalities and intellectuals of Kolkata propose taking out a silent protest march in the city on Independence Day-eve.
 
The march, that will be taken out on August 14, will seek establishment of democracy and rule of law in the state. 
 
Among those who have convened the march are eminent film director Mrinal Sen, former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee, former Supreme Court judge A.K. Ganguly and former city mayor Bikash Ranjan Bhattacharya.
 
"A hellish environment is prevailing in Bengal where rapes and murders have become the order of the day. What is more alarming is the administration has been rendered a mere puppet at the hands of those in power," Ganguly told mediapersons here on Tuesday, informing about the march.
 
"It's time the common people stand up against this anarchy and hit the streets to protect democracy and establish the rule of law," he said, referring to several incidents including the recent lynching of a college student in the state's West Midnapore district.
 
Bhattacharya, also a Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader, asserted the march to be bereft of any political colour and agenda with the only motive being restoration of democracy.
 
"It will be a silent march but will resonate the concerns, the pains as well as fact that the people will not take lying down this continuous attack on democracy. This march is against this government which has brought in anarchy but there is no political colour or agenda," he said.
 
"There will be no slogans, no banners. We want to make the rulers realise the power of silence. But if this fails to make an impact we will not sit quiet, the people of Bengal will not sit quiet," added the noted advocate.

User

COMMENTS

MOHAN

1 year ago

"Bhattacharya, also a Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader, asserted the march to be bereft of any political colour and agenda with the only motive being restoration of democracy"


Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha .

Dear Comrades, you are the biggest and worst anarchists

HC dismisses Ola cabs' plea against ban

On January 1, the Delhi government had banned the operation of app-based cab services till they complied with the guidelines of the Radio Taxi Scheme of 2006 which was amended on December 26, 2014

 

The Delhi High Court on Tuesday dismissed app-based cab service provider Ola's plea against a single judge's order asking the Delhi government to "strictly enforce" the ban imposed by it on January 1.
 
A division bench of Chief Justice G Rohini and Justice Jayant Nath dismissed the plea filed by Ola cabs challenging a single judge's July 29 order that directed the Delhi government and traffic police to enforce the ban order issued on January 1 on radio cab services not registered under the radio taxi scheme and running on diesel.
 
On January 1, the Delhi government had banned the operation of app-based cab services till they complied with the guidelines of the Radio Taxi Scheme of 2006 which was amended on December 26, 2014.
 
The company had told the bench earlier that the single judge had overlooked the Supreme Court's orders on the kind of taxis that can run on the city's roads. 
 
The company's counsel had said that the Supreme Court had clarified it has not prohibited running of taxis that are Euro II compliant or follow even better emission standards and it has not ordered conversion to CNG.
 
The apex court had only imposed a restriction with regard to the age of vehicles as it said no 15-year-old commercial vehicles shall run in Delhi and not with regard to fuel used by them, the company said.

User

Food processing ministry: Misleading, wrong claims
The ratio of projects that are approved and the number that have finally started operations is very small
 
A look at the performance report of the ministry of food processing industries, one year after Narendra Modi took charge as prime minister, reveals a string of misleading or incorrect claims.
 
We emailed our findings to the ministry last week, requesting comment. There was no response.
 
1. Cold storage facilities: 138 sanctioned, but thatÂ’s lowest in four years.
 
Claim: 138 projects sanctioned under cold chain scheme.
 
Check revealed: True, a total of 138 investment proposals were received and approved by the government regarding setting up of cold storage facilities during 2014-15. However, government data since 2011-12 reveal that proposals approved during 2014-15 are the lowest in four years.
 
2. Projects sanctioned under National Mission on Food Processing (NMFP): 1,078 fewer than claimed
 
Claim: 1,286 projects sanctioned by state governments and union territories under NMFP during 2014-15.
 
Check Revealed: The number of projects sanctioned during 2014-15 under NMFP, according to official data, is 208, not 1,286.
 
The data says 1,428 projects have been sanctioned since the inception of NMFP in 2012-13.
 
3. Mega Food Parks: 17 approved, yes, but 40 were approved by the previous government
 
Claim: 17 mega food parks sanctioned during 2014-15.
 
Check Revealed: True, 17 projects have been given in-principle approval during 2014-15 but 40 mega food park projects were given in-principle approval by the ministry during the 11th Plan (2007-12) and the first two years of the 12th Plan (till February 2014).
 
Out of these 40 MFPs, five projects were cancelled till March 2014 due to their failure to meet conditions of final approval or unsatisfactory implementation of the project. Nine more projects were cancelled during 2014-15.
 
As of now, only 21 projects (out of 40) have been accorded final approval for implementation.
 
Only four of these 21 projects that have final approval are operational.
 
Therefore, the ratio of projects that are approved and the number that have finally started operations is very small.

User

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)