Dr KC Chakraborty gets 3-month extension at RBI
Dr KC Chakraborty got an extension for three months, even as a proposal to extend his tenure by two years is pending before the Appointment Committee
New Delhi: The government has extended the tenure of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) deputy governor Dr KC Chakraborty by three months, reports PTI.
"The Government of India today re-appointed Dr KC Chakraborty as the deputy governor of the Reserve Bank of India for a further period of three months beyond 14 June 2012 or until further orders, whichever is earlier," the RBI said in a statement.
He was appointed as deputy governor in 2009 for three years and his tenure was expiring on 14th June.
Meanwhile, a top Finance Ministry official said that the government was also considering to extend his term by two years. "A proposal to extend his tenure by two years is before the Appointment Committee of Cabinet (ACC) for approval ," he said.
A RBI deputy governor can be appointed for five years and the retirement age is 62.
Besides Dr Chakraborty, there are three more Deputy Governors in the RBI.
Earlier, he was chairman and managing director of state-run Punjab National Bank and Indian Bank.
More in Moneylife
Banks Vs Depositors +4719 views
TODAY'S TOP STORIES
Moneylife Foundation event on decoding the realty regulator
- Banks Vs Depositors
- FIR against godman Brahmrishi Kumarswami
- FIPB defers decision on Jet-Etihad deal; Telenor gets go-ahead
- WPI-based Inflation eases to 4.7% in May
- I-T dept issues Rs816 crore demand notice on Wipro
- Government rectifies IIP data to 2.2% within 24 hours
- Naxals attack Dhanbad-Patna train, kills RPF jawan
- SEBI seeks details of Infosys board meeting of 1st June
- NSE to suspend trading in KS Oils, Abhishek Corp from 21st June
- Amway India chief, two others arrested under PCMCS Act. What about other MLMs?
- TDS on bank deposits: RBI’s advice to acknowledge 15-G/15-H is only half a step
- Corporate Governance: Convenience Rules with Infy Too
- Credit Sudhaar asking Rs16,000 a year for restoring 'credit'?
- Governance Deficit in Infosys?
- “Banks should not be selling third-party products,” RBI deputy governor
- Voila! A demand draft is bounced!
- Someone knew Narayana Murthy is coming back and traded on it
- Many messy reasons why people prefer gold. Can the FM remove them?
- Mango: Our Super Functional Food
- Suicides: Thousands of helpless men are victimized every year, says SIFF
- When Narayana Murthy walked the talk on Good Governance
- HDFC Bank pitches toxic product to NRIs
- A yield of 19.4%?
- Exclusive: Here is the Real Estate Bill, kept hidden from public
- Monitoring politically exposed persons: Need for a new approach by RBI
- Moneylife Impact: Now pay online for your passport; challan option also available
What's your say?
What you said
Thanks for casting your votes! View Previous Polls