Doctors who study pharmacology can practice allopathy in Maharashtra
Unani, homeopathy and others doctors should study pharmacology for a full year course and after clearing the exams, they will be allowed to practice alopathy in Maharashtra
Mumbai: Maharashtra government on Friday told the Legislative Assembly that doctors wanting to practice allopathy should study pharmacology subject and an ordinance to this effect will be promulgated next month, reports PTI.
Replying to a calling attention notice on the issue of demand of homeopathic doctors to practice allopathy since there is shortage of allopathic doctors in rural areas, state Medical Education Minister Vijay Kumar Gavit said it was not possible legally to allow medicos to practice a medicine which they have not studied.
"Unani, homeopathy and others doctors wishing to practice allopathy should study pharmacology. It will be a full course of one year and they will be allowed to practice only after they clear the examination," the minister said.
Accordingly, Maharashtra Medical Practitioners Act, 1961 will be amended.
He said the Homeopathy Council in Delhi has been requested to include the subject of pharmacology in the homeopathy curriculum.
Nana Patole, Kushal Bopche, Sanjay Kute (all BJP) said ayurvedic doctors are allowed to practice allopathy in primary health care centres, to which the minister said there is an optional subject of pharmacology in ayurvedic syllabus.
"Those who have studied pharmacology can practice allopathy," he said.
BJP legislator Girish Mahajan said there is an acute shortage of allopathic doctors in rural areas.
Vijay Waddetiwar (Cong) said homeopathic doctors in rural areas treat patients in remote areas and save lives but still have to face legal problems because they are not allowed to practice allopathy.
More in Moneylife
TODAY'S TOP STORIES
Moneylife Foundation: Maharashtra CM Fadnavis says financial literacy empowers citizens
Grab a Discount Coupon here
- Did you know LPG consumers get an insurance coverage?
- Nifty, Sensex still in uptrend – Tuesday closing report
- Harassment of taxpayers: CBDT promises action as PM Modi expresses dissatisfaction
- Government to invest $10 bn in chip manufacturing units
- Hold on to Your House Carefully; You May Lose It
- Did Angelina Jolie just boost the growth of $1.72 trillion cancer industry?
- Corporate Espionage and Worse: All Too Common
- QNet: EOW arrests V-Elite leaders Sandeep Kalra and Hitesh Miglani
- History Will Not Be Kind to Dr Manmohan Singh
- The Nirbhaya Documentary - as always, follow the money
- Are fund houses using direct plans to benefit themselves?
- Dena Bank refuses to vacate property; harasses owners
What's your say?
What you said
Thanks for casting your votes! View Previous Polls