“Demand for commercial vehicles weak; passenger vehicles flat and two-wheelers inching up”
Volumes for two-wheelers would be up about 5%, car volumes could have declined by about 1%, and commercial vehicles would have been down by around 40% in January 2013, estimates
Demand for commercial vehicles is very weak, while passenger vehicles are just about holding up, observes Nomura Equity Research in its Quick Note on the automobile industry based on sales volume data for January 2013. The brokerage estimates that overall industry volumes for two-wheelers would be up about 5%, car volumes could have declined by about 1%, and commercial vehicles would have been down by around 40% in January 2013.
While HMCL’s (Hero MotoCorp) volumes were also slightly better than estimates, Nomura points out that there is a need to check if there has been any increase in inventory. Tata Motors reported volumes which were significantly below Nomura’s estimates in all categories, and there may be a need to reduce estimates further. However, JLR retails in the US were up 25% year-on-year, which in Nomura’s view are strong numbers.
JLR was helped by strong uptick in new Range Rover and Evoque sales. The weighted average promotional spend also decreased by 14% MoM (month-on-month) as the new Range Rover got retailed.
More in Moneylife
TODAY'S TOP STORIES
How Safe Is Your Building
- IDBI Bank: Employees, officers oppose proposed move of privatisation
- ASCI bans 82 ads, including L’Oreal, CavinKare, Vicco, Complan, CNBC, India Today, Flipkart, BSNL, Uber, Snapdeal, Honda in June
- Why is Mumbai-Pune Expressway toll collection data a ‘secret’?
- Banking on Aadhaar: What concerns the RBI?
- Bulls on the Backfoot
- Beat the Index Easily
- “The suit and the NSE’s conduct seem to me attempts at deflection and evasion”
- FTII strike seems government-sponsored, based on RTI documents
- Bombay HC asks NSE to pay Rs50 lakh as cost, donation in Moneylife case
- Who killed 14 rail passengers in Mumbai on Sunday?
- Bad Loans Increase Even as RBI Talks Tough
- Big Fines by SEBI, But No Funds
Grab a Discount Coupon here
What's your say?
What you said
Thanks for casting your votes! View Previous Polls