Nation
Delhi HC imposes Rs.10,000 each on AAP, four members
he Delhi High Court on Wednesday fined the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) and four of its members, including Alka Lamba, Rs.10,000 each for their delay in filing their written statements on a defamation plea moved against them by former party member Vinod Kumar Binny.
 
Joint Registrar Neera Bharihoke imposed the cost on the AAP and AAP members - Lamba, Manoj Kumar, Raju Dhinghan and Bandana Kumari - as they were delayed in filing the written submissions. They filed their submissions on Wednesday).
 
In October last year, Justice Manmohan Singh while transferring the defamation case to joint registrar for completion of pleading had asked the AAP and its members to file written statements and listed the matter before the joint registrar on January 7, 2015.
 
However, the party and its members did not file the written submission in the case. As the case came up on Wednesday for hearing, the joint registrar imposed Rs.10,000 and posed the matter for July 27 for further hearing.
 
The court was hearing a civil defamation suit filed by Binny seeking damages from the AAP, Lamba, Manoj Kumar, Dhinghan and Bandana Kumari for allegedly maligning his reputation by their "false defamatory remarks and illegal protests".
 
He has sought from the AAP punitive damages of one rupee, to be deposited in a blind school, Rs.50 lakh from Lamba and Rs.50 lakh total from the other three party members.
 
Binny has been accused by Lamba of claiming in a Facebook post that she was running a sex racket from her home. 
 
Binny said someone had created a fake account in his name to malign him. Binny's advocate Rahul Raj Malik has told the court that Binny had already informed police and authorities about the fake Facebook account.
 
In her complaint to police against Binny and 37 others, Lamba had said Binny had posted a comment on his social networking account that in a police raid at her house, two girls were arrested for sex trade.

User

'India's Daughter': Convict urges HC to prosecute documentary maker
Mukesh Singh, one of the four convicts in the December 16, 2012 gang-rape, on Wednesday urged the Delhi High Court to an order a CBI inquiry and prosecution of the maker of the controversial BBC documentary "India's Daughter".
 
Advocate M.L. Sharma, appearing for convict Mukesh, alleged that the film is "outcome of fraud and conspiracy" hatched by documentary maker Leslee Udwin, BBC and a private news channel with advocate V.K. Anand, who had briefly represented Mukesh Singh during trial of the case.
 
He claimed that Mukesh Singh was a victim of conspiracy and due to the film, he has been again fixed in the criminal scenario.
 
The plea, which was mentioned before a division bench of Justice B.D. Ahmed and Justice Sanjeev Sachdeva, stated that the broadcast of the interview of Mukesh Singh, allegedly taken inside Tihar Jail here in July 2013, should not be allowed.
 
The court, however, refused urgent hearing in the case.
 
The documentary is about the gang-rape of a 23-year-old trainee physiotherapist, who was brutally assaulted on December 16, 2012 in a moving bus in Delhi. It kicked up a storm after one of the convicts Mukesh Singh was interviewed in Delhi's Tihar Jail.
 
The convict's lawyer sought direction that any part of the documentary should not be used in any legal or judicial proceedings in any manner.
 
The plea said: "During the film, Mukesh Singh was told to do acting of an accused and to deliver script written dialogue. Mukesh Singh is illiterate. 
 
He only did acting in the said film, what he has spoken is not his own view or statements. It is neither his confession nor his own statement."
 
The director and BBC have committed a serious crime against Mukesh Singh, the petition said and demanded that the film must be seized and those guilty be prosecuted.

User

EU levels antitrust charges against Google
The European Commission has accused Google of abusing its dominance in internet searches by "systematically" promoting its own products, while it announced the opening of an antitrust investigation to include its Android mobile operating system, Efe news agency reported on Wednesday.
 
"The European Commission has sent a statement of objections to Google alleging the company has abused its dominant position in the markets for general internet search services in the European Economic Area by systematically favoring its own comparison shopping product in its general search results pages," the commission said in a statement.
 
"The commission's preliminary view is that such conduct infringes EU antitrust rules because it stifles competition and harms consumers," the statement said.
 
European Commissioner for Competition Margrethe Vestager said in a press conference that their "preliminary view in the statement of objections is that in its general internet search results, Google artificially favors its own comparison-shopping service, and that this constitutes an abuse."
 
She clarified that the accusations did not prejudge the findings of investigations, noting that Google would be given the opportunity to defend itself to the commission
 
However, Vestager warned, "If the investigation confirmed our concerns, Google would have to face the legal consequences and change the way it does business in Europe."
 
Google monopolises online search engines in the European Economic Area, with market shares above 90 percent in most countries in the region.
 
Vestager noted that "dominant companies have a responsibility not to abuse their powerful market position by restricting competition either in markets where they're dominant or in neighbouring markets."
 
However, she made it clear that the European Commission did "not wish to interfere with design choices, how things are presented, or how the algorithm works", but wished that web users in Europe would be guaranteed to access the most pertinent search results, not those backed by Google.
 
The commission launched investigations in 2010 to determine whether Google's business model could amount to an abuse of a dominant position by restricting competition in the field of web searches and online advertising, with the help of 45 experts working exclusively on the case plus other technicians from other services.
 
The company will have 10 weeks in which to put together a defence, and will be given an audience with the heads of European Competition Commission, however, if the company does not comply, a fine of up to 10 percent of Google's turnover could be incurred -- about 5.65 billion euros ($6 billion) according to its 2014 accounts.
 
The commission specified that it would continue its formal investigation into Google on the other counts of suspicions, such as possible favoritism for other search results, copying content of competitor websites, and unreasonable restrictions to advertisers.
 
At the same time, the European Commission has opened a separate investigation to determine whether Google promoted anti-competitive agreements with manufacturers of phones and tablets to exclusively use its open source operating system Android.
 
Thomas Vinje, legal adviser and spokesman of the international FairSearch coalition in Europe, with members such as Expedia, Nokia, Oracle, and Microsoft International, applauded the decision and noted that more than 30 companies and consumer organisations have denounced the behaviour of Google, which "has devastated its opponents".
 

User

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)