World
Clinton e-mail scandal: FBI discovers 15,000 more e-mails
The FBI has discovered almost 15,000 unrevealed documents linked to the e-mail scandal surrounding Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, US media reports said on Monday.
 
The documents were found during the FBI investigation into Clinton's use of a private e-mail server while she was Secretary of State between 2009 and 2013, Efe news reported.
 
Some 30,000 documents linked to the scandal were already turned over by Clinton's attorneys to the Department of State in 2014.
 
The State Department has promised to publish the documents and on Monday assured federal Judge James E. Boasberg, who is hearing the case, that the department is "giving priority" to reviewing the new e-mail messages.
 
However, it is still not known if the e-mails will be published before the Nov 8 election, in which the former first lady is contesting against Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.
 
The e-mail controversy erupted in early 2015, when US media revealed that during her four years heading the State Department, Clinton always used a personal -- and not an official -- account for her communications, including a private server, Efe news added.
 
Clinton acknowledged at the time that it would have been "smarter" to use an official account and handed over for publication 55,000 pages of e-mails from her tenure at the State Department, but the case raised questions about whether classified government information was improperly handled on her personal account.
 
The State Department identified around 2,100 e-mails from Clinton's server as confidential, although it said that many of them were not considered classified at the time they were sent, but had been designated as such during the review.
 
The scandal also brought accusations from Republican lawmakers about Clinton's handling of the 2012 attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, in which then-Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other US government officials died.
 
Several months ago, Clinton appeared before Congress for more than 11 hours to explain what occurred during that attack, and in early July the lawmakers' final report on the incident was made public, a report that concluded that no evidence incriminating her had been found.
 
Thus, later in July the FBI recommended to the Department of Justice that no charges be filed against the Democratic candidate after the e-mail investigation, and Attorney General Loretta Lynch followed that advice and closed the case.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

CBI arrests Ramel Industries directors in chit fund scam
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Monday arrested the directors of West Bengal-based Ramel Industries Ltd in its ongoing probe into the multi-crore chit fund scam.
 
Ramendra Mohan Sarkar and Sukanta Deb, directors of Ramel Industries, were arrested on charges of criminal breach of trust and cheating. 
 
The agency had filed a case against the company, its directors and other unidentified persons on November 28, 2014. 
 
"It was alleged that the directors of Ramel Industries had collected money from the investors under its investment scheme by fraudulently promising very high returns and also without the permission from the regulatory bodies, and later misappropriated it," a CBI official said. 
 
The official said the accused had allegedly closed its operations and wound up its business, thereby cheating the investors.
 
The Supreme Court on May 9, 2014, ordered a CBI inquiry into the chit fund scams in West Bengal, Odisha and Assam in which various firms, including Saradha, allegedly duped investors collectively of around Rs 10,000 crore.
 
Ramel Industries had been on the CBI radar after the Saradha bubble burst. 
 
In May 2014, Sebi had barred promoters of Ramel Industries, which is a non Saradha ponzi firm, from raising money from the public. 
 
It also barred them from accessing capital markets till it refunded around Rs 98 crore. According to sources, the group allegedly did not pay heed and continued raising money from the public.
 
The company reportedly has raised around Rs 100 crore.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

A Throw of the Dice in the Markets
One enduring debate in the investment world, that has no perfect response, is the topic of...
Premium Content
Monthly Digital Access

Subscribe

Already A Subscriber?
Login
Yearly Digital+Print Access

Subscribe

Moneylife Magazine Subscriber or MSSN member?
Login

Yearly Subscriber Login

Enter the mail id that you want to use & click on Go. We will send you a link to your email for verficiation

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)