CIC Shailesh Gandhi at Moneylife Foundation on using RTI effectively - Part 3

User

Strike at Maruti Suzuki ends; 64 workers to be taken back

As part of the agreement, the management has agreed to take back 64 permanent workers but another 30 will remain suspended. It has also been agreed that around 1,200 casual workers would also be reinstated

New Delhi: The 14-day-long strike at Maruti Suzuki India’s (MSI) Manesar plant has been called off this morning following a tripartite agreement between the management, workers and the Haryana government, reports PTI.

As part of the agreement, the management has agreed to take back 64 permanent workers but another 30 will remain suspended. It has also been agreed that around 1,200 casual workers would also be reinstated, sources privy to the talks said.

Setting up of two committees for grievance rederssal and labour welfare was also agreed in order to provide a harmonious working environment at the plant.

The agreement came at the end of several rounds of talks, since Wednesday in the presence of senior officials of the Haryana government.

Before reaching the agreement, it is understood that MSI management individually considered the cases of all employees against whom disciplinary action had been taken and evaluated the severity of indiscipline in each case.

Wherever the charges were not serious, the sources said, MSI management decided to take back the employees. The agreement provides that 64 employees will be taken back, they said.

“However, in case of another 30 employees, the charges were found to be of serious nature. The agreement provides that these employees are suspended,” a source said.

As far as the casual workers are concerned, the MSI agreed to take them back to meet requirements of the ongoing expansion at the Manesar plant.

Workers at the plant have been on strike since 7th October demanding reinstatement of about 1,200 casual workers and 44 permanent workers who have been suspended following an agreement signed on 1st October to end a 33-day-long standoff, along with 50 workers who have been dismissed or suspended during the current stir.

As per the agreement, workers will face no work, no pay for the duration of the strike.

A ‘grievance redressal committee’ will be set up and it will have representation from the management and workers.

Also, a labour officer from the state government will be a permanent invitee to the committee and will review its proceedings, the sources said.

The agreement also provides for the setting up of a ‘labour welfare committee’ to promote measures for good relations between the management and workers. The committee will comprise members from the management as well as workers.

It is understood that the company has also agreed to arrange for transport services for workers in line with shift timings.

The agreement was signed in the presence of senior state government officials, including deputy commissioner (Gurgaon) PC Meena, sub divisional magistrate Satyendra Duhan, labour commissioner Smt Satwanti Ahlawat and assistant labour commissioner Nitin Yadav.

Workers at Suzuki Powertrain India (SPIL) and Suzuki Motorcycle India Pvt Ltd (SMIPL) who had also gone on strike from October 7 in support of their colleagues at Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) have also agreed to call off their strike.

The company said it produced 1,997 vehicles at the Gurgaon and Manesar facilities on Thursday with the Manesar plant rolling out 200 cars with 600 workers on duty.

Earlier in June, workers at Manesar plant went on a 13-day strike demanding the recognition of a new labour union—the Maruti Suzuki Employees Union (MSEU). The stir had resulted in a production loss of 12,600 cars, which were valued at about Rs630 crore.

From 29th August, the company witnessed a 33-day standoff when the management prevented workers from entering the plant without signing a ‘good conduct bond’.

MSI board will be meeting on 29th October to consider among other things, a proposal for setting up of a new plant in Gujarat.

User

I-T dept to make names of defaulters owing over Rs10 crore public

The measure has been initiated after the Central Board of Direct Taxes in June constituted a committee in this regard to examine suggestions on pending I-T demands under the categories “assessees not traceable” and “no assets/inadequate assets for recovery”

New Delhi: The Income Tax (I-T) department has decided to publish the names of defaulters who owe more than Rs10 crore as unpaid taxes after it unearthed details of such assessees recently, reports PTI.

The department has decided to send show cause notices to such assessees, who have reported “no assets/inadequate assets for recovery”, by the end of this month, asking why their names should not be published and put in the public domain.

“After receiving their replies, we will decide on making their names public in newspapers and on the Internet. Every case will be decided on merit,” a senior I-T official said.

The department got a boost in its efforts to trace such tax payers after it recently got a dossier on them from the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) and from the records of a few enforcement and intelligence agencies.

“The names have been finalised after the department got their details from various agencies. The show cause notices have been prepared,” the official said.

The measure has been initiated after the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) in June constituted a committee in this regard and was headed by I-T director general (administration) to examine suggestions on pending I-T demands under the categories “assessees not traceable” and “no assets/inadequate assets for recovery”.

Constitution of this committee was among one of the many measures which the government initiated to fight black money.

For the cases where the assessees are not traceable, we are gathering more information before taking legal action. The publication of names will be done in a phased manner, beginning with those taxpayers who owe more than Rs 10 crore, the official said.

User

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)