Citizens' Issues
Bikes to luxury vehicles showcased at Auto Expo 2016
Greater Noida : India's mega automotive show the biennial Auto Expo 2016 got underway on Wednesday here with vehicle makers unveiling their new and upgraded models -- ranging from two-wheelers to luxury cars -- several of which are likely to ply on Indian roads.
 
The event also saw the showcasing of India's first adventure utility vehicle (AUV) by Japanese automaker Isuzu Motor India.
 
For a change, the shining vehicles were the cynosure of those who were present at the venue where celebrities and the skirted beauties distracted eyeballs.
 
Amidst the razzmatazz, a certain disquiet could be sensed among the industry officials, their minds bogged with a sense of regulatory uncertainty over diesel engines and emission norms.
 
India's leading car-maker Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. took off the veil covering its compact sports utility vehicle (SUV) Vitara Brezza.
 
Developed at an outlay of Rs.860 crore, the new model having 98 percent local content is set to hit the Indian tar roads in two months' time.
 
"Vitara Brezza is true to its category of a compact urban SUV," said Kenichi Ayukawa, managing director and chief executive of Maruti Suzuki India.
 
"Built on a global Suzuki platform, Vitara Brezza has been conceptualized, designed and developed in India using Suzuki's global development processes," he said.
 
Another Asian auto giant, Hyundai Motor India displayed its global SUV Tucson.
 
The company said Tucson represents a significant step forward in the future SUV line-up for the Indian automobile market.
 
For the Korean parent Hyundai Motor Company, India is a major overseas market next only to the US and China.
 
Last year, Hyundai Motor India sold more cars in India than what it sold in the entire Europe, Y.K. Koo, managing direct and chief executive, told IANS recently.
 
Hyundai also showcased its ultra luxury Genesis model.
 
The Isuzu Motor's stall saw the display of ISUZU D-MAX V-Cross, which the company claims to be India's first adventure utility vehicle.
 
To be priced around Rs.15 lakh, Isuzu Motor will start rolling out the vehicle at its Sri City plant in Andhra Pradesh and will be launched during the second half of 2016.
 
The AUV comes with a 4WD (4X4) configuration, high ride and can be registered as a personal vehicle.
 
The company also showcased the commercial purpose ISUZU D-MAX to be priced in the range of Rs.8.5-9.5 lakh.
 
"The pick-up market in India is expected to grow manifold and Isuzu has laid strong emphasis on offering a range of its latest D-Max products. We have sensed intense anticipation for a thorough-bred Adventure Utility Vehicle, amongst Indians," said Naohiro Yamaguchi, managing director, Isuzu Motors India.
 
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) on its part lined-up three SUVs -- Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Jeep Grand Cherokee and the high-performance Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT.
 
Jeep brand sales in India will start in mid-2016, a year that also marks the brand's 75th anniversary.
 
American automobile major General Motors too announced the launch of an all new four-door Chevrolet Essentia next year.
 
Tata Motors and Jaguar-Land Rover too showcased their products to the media. Volkswagen unveiled their new compact sedan Ameo, Tiguan, Passat GTE and the 21st Century Beetle.
 
Honda Cars India Limited unveiled the BR-V for the first time in India while Mercedes Benz launched the much-awaited SUV GLC and the S-Class Carbiolet, said a statement from the event organisers.
 
In the two-wheeler segment, Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India launched a new 110cc motorcycle NAVI and also announced six new planned production models slated for an India launch.
 
On its part, Piaggio India unveiled its forthcoming crossover two-wheeler Aprilia SR 150.
 
India's Hero MotoCorp unveiled a new range of products -- Splendor iSmart 110, Xtreme 200 S, XF3RA and Duet E -- and concepts.
 
Suzuki Motorcycle India showcased its new Access 125 scooter and the revamped Gixxer motorbikes.
 
Presence of industry stalwarts and public figures like Katrina Kaif, Ranbir Kapoor and Sachin Tendulkar added to the glamour to the event.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

OROP to cost Rs.7,500 crore a year, arrears Rs.10,900 crore
New Delhi : The annual expenditure on the 'One Rank One Pension' (OROP) scheme has been estimated at around Rs.7,500 crore, the defence ministry said on Wednesday.
 
The arrears from July 1, 2014 -- the date of implementation as announced by the government -- till December 31, 2015, will be approximately Rs.10,900 crore, the ministry said in a statement.
 
This is set to push the defence budget for pensions, which is estimated to go up from Rs.54,000 crore as per Budget estimates of 2015-16 to around Rs.65,000 crore, the proposed Budget estimate for 2016-17.
 
This is an increase of about 20 percent of the defence pension outlay.
 
The statement said 86 percent of the total expenditure on account of OROP will benefit Junior Commissioned Officers (JCOs) and other ranks.
 
"The government of India had taken the historic decision to implement OROP in November 2015. This fulfilled the long standing demand of the defence forces personnel after 42 years benefited over 18 lakh ex-servicemen and war widows," the statement said.
 
Payment of arrears and revision of pension under OROP is to be made by the Pension Disbursing Authorities in four instalments, except for family pensioners and pensioners in receipt of gallantry awards who will be paid arrears in one instalment.
 
Asked about the development, Indian Ex-Servicemen Movement spokesperson Col. Anil Kaul (retd) said it "seemed ok", but they would be studying it and come out with a detailed reaction later.
 
"We are still studying it. It seems ok... so far it seems to be almost there, except that they are paying out from July (2014) not April," Col. Kaul told IANS.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

Hunt for suspects who assaulted Tanzanian woman in Bengaluru
Bengaluru : Police have launched a manhunt for suspects who allegedly attacked and molested a Tanzanian woman in Bengaluru following a road accident, a top police official said.
 
"We have registered a case of riot and arson against the accused on victim's statement in which she reported of being assaulted in a mistaken identity by a mob on the outskirts of the city," city police commissioner N.S. Megharik told reporters here on Wednesday.
 
Denying reports in a section of media that the victim was also molested, Megharik said the African woman had admitted being only assaulted by a frenzied mob after her three male friends deserted her at Soladevanahalli where the car in which they were travelling was burnt.
 
"The incident occurred because the mob mistook the victim's car being involved in a road mishap on same night (January 31) when a 20-year-old drunken Sudanese national (Mohammed Ahad Ismai) ran over a woman fatally. We arrested him after he was rescued from a raging mob," Megharik said.
 
Police did not register a case soon after the road mishap and the mob attack, as the victim was not in the city for two days since Sunday.
 
"We have formed special teams to trap the culprits and render justice to the victim who declined to file complaint against the accused fearing attack again.
 
The victim's friends told police that on Sunday the furious mob had pulled them out of their car, assaulted them and molested her in which her clothes were torn.
 
Meanwhile, the city-based Tanzanian youth association decided to seek its embassy's help in registering an assault case and booking the culprits.
 
Earlier in the day, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj described the attack as "shameful" and expressed deep pain over the Sunday incident on microblogging site Twitter.
 
"We are deeply pained over the shameful incident with a Tanzanian girl in Bengaluru. I spoke to the chief minister Karnataka. He informed me that a criminal case has been registered and four accused have been arrested," Sushma Swaraj tweeted.
 
The minister sought a report from the Karnataka government and asked Chief Minister Siddaramaiah to ensure safety of foreign students.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Email

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)