Azad, who is to get Rs35 lakh under the BCCI one-time benefit payment scheme, said he will continue protesting against the IPL and the Board
New Delhi: The Board Of Control For Cricket In India (BCCI) may have dropped his name from the list of former cricketers who will get one-time benefit payment but a defiant Kirti Azad on Wednesday said that he will not stop from raising his voice against the Indian Premier League (IPL) and the Board, reports PTI.
According to sources, the BCCI scratched the name of Azad from the list of beneficiaries for the one-time payment following his fast at the Feroze Shah Kotla ground in protest against the alleged financial irregularities in the IPL. There is no official word from the BCCI yet on this issue.
Azad said he has not been contacted by the BCCI on whether his name has been removed from the list. "I have not received any intimation from the BCCI so far. Neither has anyone contacted me," he told PTI.
Asked if he would accept the one-time payment if the Board decides to give it to him, Azad said, "The question of acceptance or refusal of the payment arises only when they get in touch me.
"But if they think that they can stop me from raising my voice by doing that, then they are wrong," said Azad, one of the members of the 1983 World Cup winning team and now a Bharatiya Janata Party Member of Parliament.
Azad, who is to get Rs35 lakh under the BCCI scheme, said he will continue protesting against the IPL and the Board.
"The skeletons of IPL have been coming out in the open and I will continue protesting whenever I see any kind of wrongdoings," he said.
Azad was non-committal when asked whether he was getting monthly pension from the BCCI as a former cricketer. "I am not aware if I am getting the pension or not. I have to ask my chartered accountant as to whether I have been getting my pension. I am not aware," he said.
Azad said he has written a letter to Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee to take action against IPL for various financial irregularities.
"I have already written a letter to Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee asking what action the government intend to take on the allegations of money laundering, tax evasion, foreign exchange violation by the IPL," he said.
The other two largest source of fake parts were the United Kingdom and Canada. The Committee identified instances in which both countries served as resale points for suspect counterfeit electronic parts from China.
India accounted for about one per cent of the counterfeit products.
The investigation also uncovered dozens of examples of suspect counterfeit electronic parts in critical military systems, including on thermal weapons sights delivered to the Army, on mission computers for the Missile Defense Agency's Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile, and on a large number of military airplanes.
The US Senate report is alarming for India as it has purchased C-130J transport aircraft for the air force and P8A Poseidon surveillance aircraft for the Navy, in direct military-to-military sales
Washington: Over a million Chinese counterfeit electronics parts are being used in American military hardware, a key Senate Committee has warned, raising the possibilities that some of these fake parts may have been used in military jets which have been sold to India, reports PTI.
After a yearlong probe, the Senate Armed Services Committee said in a report that it had uncovered 1800 cases of fake parts used in military hardware mostly helicopters and aircraft.
The report highlighted that counterfeit parts may have been used in SH-60B helicopters used by Navy SEALS, C-130J and C-27J cargo planes and in the navy's P8A Poseidon's'.
The report could be alarming for India as it has purchased C-130J transport aircraft for the air force and P8A Poseidon surveillance aircraft for the Navy, in direct military-to-military sales. However, it was not clear from the report whether hardware sold to India had any counterfeit products made in China.
More than 70% of an estimated one million suspect parts were traced back to China. "Our report outlines how this flood of counterfeit parts, overwhelmingly from China, threatens national security, the safety of our troops and American jobs," Senator Carl Levin, Chairman of the powerful Senate Armed Services Committee said in a statement as he released the report running into 72 pages.
"Our committee's report makes it abundantly clear that vulnerabilities throughout the defense supply chain allow counterfeit electronic parts to infiltrate critical US military systems, risking our security and the lives of the men and women who protect it," Ranking Member of the Committee Sen John McCain said.
The Committee criticized China for failing to shut down counterfeit manufacturers. "Counterfeit electronic parts are sold openly in public markets in China," the report said.
"Rather than acknowledging the problem and moving aggressively to shut down counterfeiters, the Chinese government has tried to avoid scrutiny," it added.
The affected parts in the C-130J and the Poseidons range from the chips in the display system of the Super Hercules to components of the detection systems in the P8A Poseidons.
The report including conclusions and recommendations were adopted by the Senate Armed Services Committee with unanimous voice vote on May 15.
The committee said that China denied visas to its staff to travel to Beijing as part of the investigation.
While the investigation focused on the risk that counterfeit parts pose to US national security and the safety of military personnel, the rampant theft of US intellectual property also severely impacts the US economic security.
According to the Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA), counterfeits cost US semiconductor companies more than $7.5 billion annually in lost revenue, a figure SIA says results in the loss of nearly 11,000 American jobs.
The price war in 3G comes at a time when operators are up in the arms over sectoral regulator TRAI's recent recommendations on spectrum auction
New Delhi: Following industry leader Bharti Airtel move to cut tariff, Aditya Birla Group company Idea Cellular on Tuesday announced slashing charges for 3G services by up to 70%, reports PTI.
Idea prepaid and postpaid customers will now have to pay 3 paise per 10 KB of data against the earlier rate of 10 paise per 10 KB.
"The new tariff plan aims to make internet usage within the reach of rural, mid-town customers at home and will help first time users to experience the benefits of 3G. Idea's objective is to drive mobile internet usage for the mass market," Idea Cellular said in a statement.
Last week, Bharti Airtel had announced similar cuts for its third generation (3G) high speed internet services. Another operator Aircel offers unlimited 3G plans with tariffs starting at Rs8 per day.
The price war comes at a time when operators are up in the arms over sectoral regulator TRAI's recent recommendations on spectrum auction.
They have warned that mobile bills could increase by up to 100% in certain circles if the proposals are accepted.
Industry experts are of the view that the brewing price war in 3G tariffs may be an effort to cash huge investments made by telecom operators.
The government had received over Rs 67,000 crore from the 3G auctions held in 2010. With operators taking huge loans to pay for the 3G licences, experts say operators are under pressure to recover the investment, which could see more operators slashing tariffs in the coming days.
Idea Cellular, which has 3G licences for 11 telecom circles, including Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala, has also increased usage limits across different plans for prepaid and postpaid users.
Idea's Rs10 pack will offer 30 minutes of high speed internet surfing instead of 20 MB data usage (one day validity), while its new Rs25 plan will give 100 MB data with 3 days validity.
For home and Small office/home office (SOHO) users, 1 GB of data download will cost Rs250, while its unlimited usage plan will be priced at Rs950.