Leisure, Lifestyle & Wellness
Azhar rules out any legal action, wants to work with BCCI

With Azhar not mulling any legal action, it is expected that the BCCI is likely to soften its stand in near future

New Delhi/Hyderabad: Welcoming the Andhra Pradesh High Court verdict setting aside the life ban on him, former India captain Mohammed Azharuddin on Thursday ruled out taking any legal action against Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and said he is willing to work with the Board for development of cricket, reports PTI.
"I can't predict how BCCI will react but it's totally up to them. As far as I am concerned, I am ready to work for the benefit of cricket and cricketers," a relieved Azharuddin told reporters at his MP residence in New Delhi, Thursday.
Asked if he would take any legal action against BCCI, the former captain said, "I am not going to take any legal action against any authority and I don't want to blame anybody for this also. It is about destiny and whatever had to happen has happened. I don't have any complaints."
The stylish right-hander from Hyderabad, who will be turning 50 next February said that he always had his conscience clear.
"My conscience was always clear as I haven't done anything wrong. I have represented my country and had played the game with utmost honesty. I never lost faith and was never a broken man. I didn't blame anybody and was ready to fight it out in the court of law," said one of India's most successful captains.
Apart from his parents, Azhar thanked former India captain Kapil Dev and BCCI president Late Raj Singh Dungarpur for their constant support during the darkest phase of his career.
"I thank Late Raj Singh Dungarpur for his constant support when he was alive. Also Kapil paaji has been very vocal in my support in all forums. So was former BCCI vice-president Kamal Morarka. I also thank all my fans who had stood by me in all these 12 years." 
His career ended at 99 Tests and Azhar doesn't want to dwell on it.
"May be I was destined to play 99 Test matches and that's what the Almighty wanted. I would not like to dwell on the past and move on. I am an MP and would like to focus on the development of my constituency Moradabad."
Senior BCCI official Rajeev Shukla said, "Our legal team will analyse the judgement. Then only we will react."
However with Azhar not mulling any legal action, it is expected that the BCCI is likely to soften its stand in near future.
A man who has always preferred answering in monosyllables during his playing days, Azhar got a bit emotional when there was a reference of his late son Mohammed Ayazuddin who passed away in a tragic bike accident last year.
"What I lost last year is scar that will remain with me forever. Nothing can change that. It was Almighty Allah's wish but certainly myself and my elder son Abbas (Mohammed Asaduddin) are relieved today."



R Balakrishnan

4 years ago

Of course, the BCCI purse for ex cricketers, helps maintain a dignified acceptance stance.

Vodafone partners with ICICI Bank to offer m-pesa

Vodafone and ICIC Bank's new service m-pesa will help Indians with money transfer and wide range of mobile payment services and m-commerce 

Vodafone India said it partnered with ICICI Bank to launch mobile money transfer and payment service, m-pesa. The new service will comprise a mobile money account with ICICI Bank and a mobile wallet issued by Mobile Commerce Solutions Ltd (MCSL) a unit of Vodafone India.
"m-pesa will allow us to provide basic banking services to millions of customers spread across the country. This will help us reach out to segments that currently do not have access to banking services, towards our objective of achieving greater financial inclusion," said Chanda Kochhar, Managing Director& CEO, ICICI Bank.
Vodafone in a release said, m-pesa will give the customer a comprehensive service comprising: 
Cash deposit and withdrawal from designated outlets
Money transfer to any mobile phone in India
Range of mobile payment services including purchase of mobile recharge, recharge of DTH services and utility bill payments 
Money transfer to any bank account in India
Payments at select shops 
The mobile payment service will be launched initially in the eastern regions of the country like Kolkata, West Bengal, Bihar and Jharkhand and then will be rolled out to other parts of the country in a phased manner.


Additional spectrum allotted during Mahajan's tenure without coordination

A letter sent by George Fernandes was purportedly received by Mahajan's office after 15 days and by that time additional spectrum had already been allocated to Bharti Cellular and Sterling Cellular (now Vodafone) in Delhi and Hutch in Mumbai

New Delhi: Additional spectrum beyond 6.2 Mhz was allotted during the late Indian Telecom Minister Pramod Mahajan's tenure to cellular operators Airtel, Vodafone and Idea without due coordination with Defence agencies, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has claimed in a probe, reports PTI.
In its report to the Law Ministry, CBI also claimed that Mahajan, who was the Telecom Minister during the Bharatiya Janata Party-led National Democratic Alliance rule, had apparently told "half truth" to Defence Minister George Fernandes that additional spectrum upto 8 Mhz to cellular operators was assigned only after due coordination with Joint Communication and Electronic Staff (JCES).
The report which was sent to Law Ministry seeking opinion of the Attorney General whether a criminal case was made out against the accused companies, mentions exchange of communication between the then Ministers Mahajan and Fernandes over the issue of grant of additional spectrum and coordination with Defence Services.
In a letter to Mahajan on 4 July 2002, Fernandes had flagged the issue of co-ordination of frequency spectrum with the Defence Services, CBI sources said Thursday.
They said the letter was purportedly received by Mahajan's office after 15 days and by that time additional spectrum had already been allocated to Bharti Cellular and Sterling Cellular (now Vodafone) in Delhi and Hutch in Mumbai.
CBI sources said Fernandes had written that Telecom Ministry had gone ahead by receiving spectrum fees/charges from the new cellular operators without proper coordination on a case-to-case and place to place at many locations.
Mahajan in his reply to Fernandes said frequencies had been assigned only after coordination with the defence services.
"The facts, however, show that it was half truth. The DoT actually wrote to JCES that it was going to allocate spectrum on trial basis in a few days and if no response was received from JCES that spectrum would be allocated to respective companies," CBI claimed in its report.
CBI claimed that investigation had revealed that the additional spectrum beyond 6.2 Mhz was allotted to the companies even without due coordination by the JCES. 
CBI had sent the report to Law Ministry seeking advice of the Attorney General in the case of alleged irregularities in awarding extra spectrum to Airtel and Vodafone after difference in opinion over whether a case against the telecom giants was made out or not.
A group of officials believed a case against the two telecom companies was made out as they were only beneficiaries of the laid down policy while another team of officials involved in decision-making had a different view, official sources said.
The matter, therefore, was referred to the Attorney General for his opinion who is yet to give any opinion, the sources said, adding CBI would file a charge sheet in the case only after getting the opinion of the top law officer of the government.
The agency, in its FIR, had alleged the two companies had entered into a criminal conspiracy which resulted in a loss of over Rs 500 crore to the state exchequer.
In its report, CBI alleged that the then Wireless Advisor PK Garg opined on the file that trials would commence under intimation to the Defence Ministry and if no comments were received from them within a month, formal assignment of spectrum would be issued to operators.
The opinion of Garg had the concurrence of the then Member (technical) Vinod Vaish, Secretary and also the approval of Mahajan, the agency said.


We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.

To continue

Sign Up or Sign In


To continue

Sign Up or Sign In



The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)