Amit Shah had landed in a major controversy for allegedly saying that the 2014 Lok Sabha polls were an opportunity to seek revenge for the insult inflicted during the riots in Muzaffarnagar in UP last year
Amit Shah, the president of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Wednesday was chargesheeted by the police for allegedly violating the Model Code of Conduct by delivering an "objectionable" speech during campaigning for the Lok Sabha elections in Uttar Pradesh.
The charge sheet was filed against 49-year-old Shah in a court at Muzaffarnagar for allegedly seeking votes on the grounds of religion, race, caste and community.
The Deputy SP of New Mandi Circle, Yogender Singh, said the charge sheet has been filed under various sections of IPC, including 153A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, etc.), 295A (deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings of any class) and 505 (false statement, rumour, etc. circulated with intent to cause mutiny or offence against the public peace), and Section 123-3 of Representation of People Act (making an appeal to vote on the grounds of religion amounting to corrupt practice).
Police had registered a case against Shah for allegedly violating the model code following a direction from the Election Commission, which had also banned him from campaigning in the state on 4 April 2014.
The FIR was lodged against Shah in New Mandi police station by a district official and the case was handed over to Sub-Inspector BL Shah for investigation.
Shah had landed in a major controversy for allegedly saying that the 2014 Lok Sabha polls were an opportunity to seek "revenge for the insult" inflicted during the riots in Muzaffarnagar in Uttar Pradesh last year.
Taking note of the "revenge" remark by Shah, the EC had issued a notice to him for prima facie violation of the model code. Shah had denied having violated the model code and asked EC to reconsider its notice to him claiming that the remarks were not recorded in the right perspective. The ban on him was later lifted.
A Consortium of 22 banks led by SBI will soon release Rs650 crore to ABG Shipyard under a Rs10,000 crore CDR deal
ABG Shipyard Ltd, which is under corporate debt restructure (CDR) scheme, will receive Rs650 crore from lenders by this month-end as part of the Rs10,000-crore debt recast deal worked out in March.
Dhananjay Datar, executive director and chief financial officer of ABG Shipyard told reporters that the Surat-headquartered company is confident of successfully getting out of the CDR cell in two years.
The company has convinced the 22-bank consortium led by State Bank of India (SBI), which had two specific reservations, and has got sanction for release of the money, he said.
On the banks’ demand for pledge of shares by promoters, Datar said ABG has promised that promoters will be pledging their 68% holding in the company by March 2015.
It can be noted that in late March, a group of 22 banks led by SBI had cleared the recast of Rs10,000 crore in loans advanced to the troubled shipbuilder under the CDR process, making it the second biggest loan recast in recent times. This recase deal is next only to the Rs13,500-crore debt recast done for engineering and construction major Gammon India in July 2013.
Under CDR, around Rs2,500 crore worth of long-term loans and Rs7,000 crore of working capital loans were restructured with a two-year moratorium for interest payment.
The issue over a Rs236-crore investment in an asset management company in the tax haven of the Cayman Islands — about which the banks had sought clarity — has also been settled, he said.
Under the terms of agreement, Google will pay at least $19 million in full refunds for billing consumers for millions of dollars their kids rang up on mobile apps without their consent
What thou chargest without parent’s knowledge thou has to repay. Or so says the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) which took its third action this year against a major Internet player that was billing parents for in-app charges. In a settlement announced last week, the FTC alleged Google Inc. was billing consumers for millions of dollars their kids rang up on mobile apps without their consent.
Under the terms of the agreement Google will pay at least $19 million in full refunds and modify its billing practices so that it obtains specific consent from account holders for a charge for items sold on mobile apps. If a consumer gives consent for future in-app charges, the company must supply account holders with methods for which they can revoke or modify the scope of the consent.
Earlier this summer, the FTC filed a complaint in federal court against Amazon, Inc. seeking similar refunds and billing changes. That case is still pending. In January, Apple Inc. agreed to pay out at least $32.5 million in refunds and obtain account holder consent for charges before they are billed.
“As more Americans embrace mobile technology, it’s vital to remind companies that time-tested consumer protections still apply, including that consumers should not be charged for purchases they did not authorize,” said FTC Chairwoman Edith Ramirez.
The FTC said thousands of consumers complained to Google about the in-app charges, which can range from 99 cents to $200. Children accumulate the charges by buying virtual items that help them advance in the game. Some of these are virtual money purchases but others are real charges. Google’s response to the complaints, said the FTC, was to refer consumers seeking refunds to the app developer, even though its own employees referred to the in-app charges as “friendly fraud” and “family fraud.”
While Google began presenting pop-up boxes in 2012 asking for an account holder’s password before billing a charge, the pop-ups did not contain information about the charges and that by entering the password a three-minute window was opened in which the player of the app racked up unlimited charges.
Under the settlement, Google has to inform all consumers who incurred in-app charges about the refunds.