Companies & Sectors
60 new coal mines to open soon: Piyush Goyal
Discounting any immediate plans to stop coal imports, Coal and Power Minister Piyush Goyal said on Wednesday that the government will open more than 60 coal mines across the country in the coming days.
 
"I am delighted to announce that 60 new mines are to open in the coming days. A detailed mine-by-mine study has been made out and put on the (ministry) website so that even you all can monitor the progress of new mines," Goyal told media persons here, highlighting the achievements of Narendra Modi government in its first year in office.
 
He said the new mines were part of the overall plan for state miner Coal India to double its current production of 50 crore tonnes per annum in five years to reach the country's total production target of 150 crore tonnes by 2020.
 
Coal India achieved a record 32 million tonnes increase in production of the fuel in the last year, he added.
 
"The increased coal production led to a 12 percent increase in power production last year," the minister said.
 
Announcing that micro grid and off-grid solutions are being worked out to provide power to 28 crore people in rural India who are still without electricty, Goyal said in reply to a question that 1,500 villages were electrified in the one year the NDA government has been in power.
 
Declaring that coal imports would continue for the time being, Goyal said: "We will be self-reliant in coal production in the years to come."

User

Cholamandalam: Attractive Long-term Buy

Cholamandalam’s lending operations have a clear focus on rural and semi-urban...

Premium Content
Monthly Digital Access

Subscribe

Already A Subscriber?
Login
Yearly Digital+Print Access

Subscribe

Moneylife Magazine Subscriber or MSSN member?
Login

Yearly Subscriber Login

Enter the mail id that you want to use & click on Go. We will send you a link to your email for verficiation
German city evacuated after bomb found

According to a report in the German daily Bild, the evacuation process was taking place in the Riehl and Mülheim districts of town

 

In the biggest evacuation since the Second World War, authorities in Germany's fourth-largest city of Cologne on Wednesday started evacuating around 20,000 people after a 1,000-kg bomb was found in the north-east area of the city.
 
According to a report in the German daily Bild, the evacuation process was taking place in the Riehl and Mülheim districts of town.
 
Schools in the area were closed. Bridges, streets, trains, boats and even planes were blocked, cancelled or rerouted, The Local news portal reported.
 
The bomb, an American explosive from the Second World War, was found during work on an underground heating system.
 
The operation to secure the bomb could take a long time, since it was found five metres underground.
 
Finds of this nature are not uncommon. Last year, two unexploded bombs had to be defused in the same Cologne neighbourhood.
 

User

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)