In a little reprieve to Home Minister, the special court dismissed the plea of Dr Swamy to make Mr Chidambaram co-accused in the 2G spectrum allocation scam
Dr Subramaian Swamy, president, Janata Party said he will file an appeal in the High Court and place more evidence on record after his plea to make Home Minister P Chidambaram co-accused in the 2G scam was dismissed by the trial court.
Justice OP Saini of the Special Court while delivering his verdict said, "....prayer of Swamy to make Chidambaram an accused is dismissed".
Speaking with reporters outside the Court, Dr Swamy said, "I am surprised by the verdict. This order deserves to be reversed. I will not give up and will approach the High Court within three months".
Dr Swamy had moved the Court seeking to make Mr Chidambaram as co-accused in the 2G spectrum scam. The Janata Party president alleged that Mr Chidambaram, the then finance minister, is as culpable as former Telecom Minister A Raja in determining the prices of the spectrum and in allowing the dilution of shares by telecom companies post allocation.
Earlier this week, the Supreme Court referred the matter on probing Home Minister P Chidambaram's role in the 2G scam to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Court.
On Thursday, the apex court cancelled all licences given to 11 telecom companies issued after January 2008. The Court observed that 85 out of the 122 licences granted by the UPA government on or after 8 January 2008 were outside the eligibility criteria for allocation of the 2G spectrum. "The 122 licences for 2G spectrum were granted in arbitrary and unconstitutional manner," the Court said.
In another important judgement, the Supreme Court refused to sanction a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to over-see the CBI inquiry in the 2G spectrum allocation scam. Instead, the apex court said, the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) should monitor the investigation and the CBI should submit its status reports in sealed envelopes to the Commission.