Stocks
15 Features of High-quality Stocks
Preserve your wealth and also beat market averages by following this brief...
Premium Content
Monthly Digital Access

Subscribe

Already A Subscriber?
Login
Yearly Digital+Print Access

Subscribe

Moneylife Magazine Subscriber or MSSN member?
Login

Yearly Subscriber Login

Enter the mail id that you want to use & click on Go. We will send you a link to your email for verficiation
Electrocution victims get Rs.33 lakh after NHRC intervention
New Delhi : Following the intervention of the NHRC, the Uttar Pradesh government has paid Rs.33.40 lakh to people who were electrocuted when their bus came in contact with an unguarded low-lying high-tension line in the state's Fatehpur district.
 
As per the National Human Rights Commission, the state government was earlier reluctant to pay compensation to the victims, saying the line was drawn in accordance with the prescribed standards.
 
However, not satisfied with this response, the NHRC called for an inquiry by the chief electrical inspector.
 
"Subsequently, the director of electrical security, government of Uttar Pradesh, in his inquiry report, revealed that the height of the overhead transmission line was less than the standard height prescribed under the rules, i.e, 5.8 metres," said a statement from the NHRC.
 
The incident took place when the bus came in contact with the high-tension line while parking at the Amauli Road bus stand in Jahanabad area of Fatehpur on October 23, 2012.
 
The NHRC said the compensation included a total of Rs.28 lakh to the next of kin of 14 deceased and Rs.40,000 to those who suffered injuries. 
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

Headley's cross-examination deferred to Wednesday
Mumbai : The cross-examination of Pakistani-American terrorist turned approver David Headley in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case, which was scheduled to start on Tuesday, has been postponed by a day, an official said on Monday.
 
The deferment follows intimation from one of Headley's attorneys who is unwell and who requested the proceedings to start on Wednesday, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said.
 
The court has ordered accordingly and now the cross-examination will be taken up from Wednesday, for four days, Nikam added.
 
Headley's cross-examination in a special court will be done for four days by Abdul Wahab Khan, lawyer of Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal, who is also facing trial in the 26/11 terror attack case.
 
Headley, 56, has already confessed to having done substantial ground work, intelligence gathering and providing other inputs to his handlers in Pakistan ahead of the terror strikes in Mumbai beginning on November 26, 2008, which killed 166 people and left over 600 injured.
 
His examination in chief was done by Nikam between February 8 and 13 after Headley agreed to turn approver in return for a pardon by the Indian authorities.
 
The proceedings were conducted before Additional Sessions Judge G.A. Sanap via video-conferencing from a jail in the US.
 
Nikam has already said that, if required, the prosecution may re-examine Headley at a later stage after the cross-examination.
 
Headley, convicted in the US for his role in the terror attack and the Denmark attacks plots, is currently serving a 35-year sentence in a US jail.
 
During his marathon deposition before the Special Court last month, he admitted to his links with the Lashkar-e-Taiba, Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence, Osama bin Laden's Al Qaeda and other terror groups, the role of various state and non-state actors, conducting seven spying missions in Mumbai prior to the 26/11 attacks, besides divulging other sensational information to his handlers in Pakistan.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article.

User

We are listening!

Solve the equation and enter in the Captcha field.
  Loading...
Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

Close

To continue


Please
Sign Up or Sign In
with

BUY NOW

The Scam
24 Year Of The Scam: The Perennial Bestseller, reads like a Thriller!
Moneylife Magazine
Fiercely independent and pro-consumer information on personal finance
Stockletters in 3 Flavours
Outstanding research that beats mutual funds year after year
MAS: Complete Online Financial Advisory
(Includes Moneylife Magazine and Lion Stockletter)